What's new

I need Microsoft Office...must I wait for Office 2003? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I need Microsoft office, but I could probably hold off on a purchase for a little while. Would it be worth it to wait for the release of Office 2003? I know Office XP can do everything I need right now (becuase I'm using it on 2 other computers).

What I mean is, is Office 2003 going to be so different/ cool that I'll be kicking myself for not waiting?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
You can visit office.microsoft.com and see if their propaganda for Office 2003 convinces you to wait for it.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
As far as I know, 2003 will feature some fairly extensive changes to Outlook as well as the ability to save Office documents in XML format. Outlook will feature some built in junk mail handling and a revamped interface. Each of the Office apps will be able to save documents in XML, but this is only really useful for businesses; if you're looking to buy Office for the home, you probably won't need it.

Here's a CNET preview of the last 2003 beta.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there some news that the XML feature had been taken out or was now only avaiable in the proffesional version?

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
John, you've made it abundantly clear in your history of HTF posts that you're not a Microsoft fan. However, the original poster was only asking for a comparison between Office 2002 and 2003, not for a flurry of anti-Microsoft rhetoric. I was simply trying to answer the man's questions.

As for the usefulness of XML, please explain to ME why having my recipe cards or term papers or directions saved in XML benefits me in any way. I am not going to be building applications around storing and querying my documents, and I am probably not going to need to programmatically parse them in any way. I understand that open standards are a good thing, and I applaud Microsoft for finally embracing (some of) them in Office 2003. But I would venture to guess that the majority of home Office users have no idea what XML is, nor would they benefit from saving their documents in that format. Perhaps I should say rephrase my original statement to say that the primary beneficiaries for saving in XML are corporate users.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I should say rephrase my original statement to say that the primary beneficiaries for saving in XML are corporate users.
That would be far more appropriate; however, the notion is still one of XML is only useful when doing something other than personal documents. Again, that is a fallacy. What if you have a friend or relative who does not use Office, but you want to send an Office document? Or try making even a semi-complicated HTML document in Office and then run it on a browser other than IE. The results will not be pretty as Office puts code into their Office-created HTML docs that are meant for IE. This is what closed standards have brought to the computer world; and it's a problem in the personal computing area just as much as it is in the business arena. Just because it doesn't affect you now doesn't mean that it won't in the future.

I'm doing nothing more than letting him know that there are more solutions out there than just Microsoft products that might very well do exactly what he wants them to do, and in this case the alternative is even free. If that's Microsoft bashing, then I gladly plead guilty; but sitting back and letting him think that Office is the only way to go would be an even bigger crime as far as I'm concerned. Ultimately, the choice is his.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
While I appreciate the info about other programs, perhaps I should have made it clear that I am an intermediate/ advanced MS Office user, using it in a small business environment. Our lives center around Outlook, and much of our business runs off of Word and Access. Also, most of our clients use Office.

I'm really not interested in learning a new Office suite, especially since I can afford whatever I need.

I was just curious if anyone had heard of any earth-shaking new features that might make a big difference in helping my business be more productive, but after thinking about it, I'd probably rather have another identical version of the software.

Thanks.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
MS (as with some other companies), often offers "non obsolete guarantees", which means if you buy, say, the current Office, and the next release come within a certain window, then you can either get the new one free or heavily discounted ($99 for a $795 list Premium Office Suite), with proof of purchase.
The last time I did something like that was moving to Office Premuim 2000, which ended up costing me less than nothing, as I brought a heavily discounted Office Pro for the sole purpose of the "coupon", then when 2000 came out, I exchange the coupon for 2000, then sold my Pro on EBay, for a little more than what I paid for it. All legal, all legit. For those that haven't been selling their stuff, software holds their value amazingly well, especially MS stuff. A few months ago, I was cleaning house and found some Frontpage, Publisher stuff that's 4-5 years old, totally collecting dust, I think they went for like $60 a piece at EBay.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
IT guy that is so adamantly against MS?
Oh, nice analogy. So, if you work in IT, you have to be reliant on Microsoft; otherwise, you can't be an IT guy? You obviously don't work in IT if you really believe that to be the case. :rolleyes

Besides, Microsoft products have their place! I'll admit that! The discs make nice coasters. The ones with the anti-piracy, laser effects are fantastic for mobiles near an open window (not the Microsoft kind) on a sunny day. And the manuals are good kindling for the fireplace during the winter! :D

RandyObert

Agent
So, if you work in IT, you have to be reliant on Microsoft; otherwise, you can't be an IT guy?
Don't think I said that at all. I am in IT however.

I guess I lack the bitter hatred of MS that you seem to possess. (must be tough to work on something you dislike so)
I like a system that allows avg users to achieve the goals they desire however.

On the other hand I fully embrace open source software as it provides all the function of any retail package available. However, many open source projects are by no means entirely user friendly. They often require advanced ability's to even install. Also on an even bigger note a lot of open source software lacks detailed documentation. This is by no means any ones fault, it is the nature of open source. It tends to change and evolve so rapidly or by so many hands that documentation is virtually impossible to keep up to date by any one person. So you would need to fault all that write the code and fail to provide the documentation.

The power of a quality IT person is to identify a problem and present the best possible solution to the user. Some people have no need for MS products at all. Others fully rely on them. I can find fault with any platform for any given user but they all have places in the world of computers.
I would personally really like to see Linux take off with the home user, it is stable, it is fast, and most important it has evolved a number of GUI's that allow the avg joe to use it easily. This comes at a price however. It creates more overhead for the OS. (Sound familiar?)

I suppose if I was going to bash anyone software maker it would fall to the makers of any package that has problems built into the application and then the maker has the gall to charge tech and support time for the patch to make the application work, (Medisoft comes to mind) At least MS produces these updates and patches and provides them at no charge.
Over all I have no loyalty to any one platform, I run no less than 6 OS's and give credit to MS for bringing computing to the masses and curse them at the same time for some of the idiosyncrasies.
Long live the Penguin :D

Steven K

Supporting Actor
It sucks. That's why I own three SPARCstations, a Sun Ultra 5, and a Sun Blade 100
Damn John!

But, I hate to tell you, but Sun is no better or different than Microsoft - only aimed at a slightly different market... I do love Solaris, but in its own way, it's just as evil as Windows... and now with the SCO mess going on...

3 years from now, we'll all be using AIX at home :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks