What's new

I need mental help: the bass bug has bitten. (SVS) (1 Viewer)

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

I agree here but am holding out in some respects. I have no doubt I'll cool off with my 2+ after a while, but there are some things that'll never change - my love of the sub and how the bass presence "takes you there."

Now say with a jazz CD or the likes of Johnny Cash with the softer basses, I do right to tune it down. With old funk vinyl and such, I do right to turn it up (since they predominantly seem weak on the bass end in that era - recording wise - I'm sure there was plenty seeing them live). With electronica, I usually back off since they run the bass signal usually pretty hot on those albums. Watched "Open Range" last night - the shotgun blasts, thunderstorms - I was glad I was running a little hot because for the first time in HT I dang near thought "Now that's what a real shotgun blast sounds like" and had to repeat the scene (ordering whiskey in the bar) - and I'm an old hunter raised in the Midwest who knows shotguns and storms very well. I strive for the "live effect", which to me is predominantly, though not always, a little bass heavy. Do you ever go to a live jam that is too light on bass? Hardly. I don't anyway, so I don't feel running a little bass heavy in my living room to be much of a departure from a live sound.

When I get bored and lazier, I'll be less bass-active and will probably settle down in to a milder good-for-all setting I don't have to fuss with ever, but for now I love the level-tweaking. A Parametric EQ is on the horizon though.

To each. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks