I NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dino R, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Dino R

Dino R Auditioning

Ok, I just bought a Toshiba HD-A2. I own an older 50" SONY HDTV model # KF-50WE610. It has no HDMI imput, but it does have a DVI imput. I bought an HDMI to DVI cable assuming that it would work. Unfortunately, the picture changes to 480p when I use the HDMI to DVI cable. When I use the component cables, I get 1080i, but not on some HD-DVDs, like Superman Returns. Also, it is supposed to up-convert DVDs to 720p and they only show in 480p. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? Does anyone know if HDMI to DVI always works? Are some DVI imputs not able to use the HDMI to DVI hook-up? I have tried changing the settings on both the TV and the setup on the A2, but maybe I haven't done it right. Can anyone walk me thru this? I am totally green at hooking up the HD-DVD player. And YES, I did read the instructions.

2. Scott Shearer

Scott Shearer Auditioning

Dino,

Although I do not have an HD-A2 (I do have an HD-A1), I have read about many other people having the same problem. As I understand, many only TVs only accept a 480P signal on their DVI connections. I also understand that Toshiba is aware of this problem and is currently working on a firmware fix for the HD-A2 that may be able to resolve this issue. It is nothing that you are doing wrong. Hopefully Toshiba will be able to fix this issue, but I don't have any ETA on the fix.

Sorry I can't solve your problem but there does look like a solution in the near future.

Enjoy your HD-A2.

Scott

3. Royce H

Royce H Stunt Coordinator

Your TV's DVI input may not incorporate HDCP. Some older sets did not. If so, this could be disabling 720p, 1080i, and upconversion and causing you to see 480p only even if your DVI input is capable of the higher res. The Superman Returns HD DVD is a combo disk with HD content on one side and standard DVD on the other. If you accidentally put it in with the SD side down it would explain why you only saw 480p through component.