What's new

I need help with setting speaker levels... (1 Viewer)

Gray

Agent
Is there a way to calibrate without an SPL meter. I am using a Sony STR-DB840 reciever and a DVP-NC875V DVD/SACD player. I have an Avia calibration disc and it seems to be confusing. My speaker size, distance, location, ect. and all the basics are good. What I am getting confused with is how to set the levels. On my reciever I can adjust the EQ levels for L|R|C|RS|LS|SUB. They are Db, Low-Mid-High Frequecy. As far as I can tell I counld use the pink noise and worble type sound to see when the sound leaves one speaker and fades to another (looking for dead spots). Is there another method or a "rule of thumb" as far as setting the Hz. for each speaker? Please advise soon as I just mounted my new projector...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the eq. there should be a simple channel level. It can be roughly done by ear for sure.

Since you do multi-channel audio I would assume your doing this on the player itself?

I still think the basic channel level is on the AVR even when using the Multi-channel analog inputs?

I am way weak on multi-channel audio, addmittedly.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Any adjustment for analog 5.1 inputs (SACD) would bypass the receiver's level adjustment, so it must be done from the player. For the digital inputs (optical/cox) from the DVD player, you should be adjusting the dB level for each speaker on the receiver. Read the entry on calibration in the FAQ for details, but basically you want to adjust the dB for each speaker until it measures 85dB on the SPL meter. Make note of the position of the master volume level at this point - this is now your "reference level".

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably not understanding correctly. But it looks to me like it only offers EQ and not channel level? If so, get another DVD-A / SACD player then I guess?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

He did say he could adjust for "Db", which I assume is the decibel level for each speaker. He said this was on his receiver, so I assumed he was not calibrating from the DVD/SACD player.

I'll look at his receiver on line and see what it says, if it's there.

Gray

Agent
I am adjusting the audio on the reciever.My reciever has level, EQ, and surround. For example, on every speaker (5.1) I can adjust the bass fq, mid fq, and treble fq, in addition to the dB's and Hz. Thats 35 adjustments I can make. Does the audio sound good? Yea but I just can't stop wondering if I can make it better. The speakers are Klipsch KM-4's for the fronts. A yamaha NS-AC40X center channel, Sony SS-MB105's in the rear (yes it on the list of stuff to replace)and a KLH subwoofer. I have the sub set at 85hz. I really don't listen to SACD's at all. I have adjusted the level's as follows: LFE mix 0dB, DTS LFE MIX +10dB, Rear +10dB(personal preference), Center +7dB, and subwoofer +10dB. Front bass is +0dB, 710Hz, Mid +3dB, 5.0 Hz, and front treble +10 dB, 3.1 Hz. Center bass +5dB, 175Hz, mid +7dB, 5.0 Hz, treble +8dB, 1.0kHz, rear bass -10dB, 1.0kHz, mid +5dB, 2.5kHz, treble +10dB, 8 kHz. Maybe this info is not helpful to anyone but I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone could tell if I am way off. I also have speaker set up on my player. All of the levels are set at 0dB. I assume it is best to set the levels on the reciever.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You really cannot set the levels arbitrarily. You should at least play the test tones to see if you are close (by ear) to having the volume of all the speakers equal at the main listening spot. Note: your ear is very often wrong. I know of noone who purchased an SPL meter and regretted it. If you really "just can't stop wondering if I can make it better", an SPL is the step to take to actually make it better.

Note, on your receiver, you have to use the front and rear balance controls to get the fronts to match in volume and the rears to match in volume. I guess you would want to balance the levels of the fronts, raise the master volume until the left front reads 85db and proceed from there.

Gray

Agent
Thanks. Like I said it sounds good. I like loud rears, medium dialog, and good bass. I think I will have to break down and get an SPL meter from radioshack so I can sleep at night. Next step, video calibration...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks