What's new

I need help with new monitor (1 Viewer)

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I just bought a new Samsung SyncMaster 932BW widescreen monitor. I previously had a 17" 4:3 monitor. The manual recommends I set the resolution at 1440 X 900. My only choices are 800 X 600, 1024 X 768, 1280 X 768 and 1280 X 800. I have it set at 1024 X 768 because that looks the best, but the proportions don't look right and some icons are stretched. I tried the higher settings, but you couldn't read letters. Is this a function of the video card? I thought I'd ask before I ran out and bought a new one. If there is a way to make this work, that would be great. If I need a new video card what would be a good one. I'm not a gamer so I don't need anything state of the art. Thanks for any help.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you're dealing with 4:3 video drivers. Your monitor should have come with a driver. 1440 x 900 is actually 16:10. Most monitors are this way so that you can still have the Windows bar at the bottom. Widescreen monitors are so much better!

Glenn

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the responses. I installed the driver that came with the monitor, but it did not change my choices for screen resolution. I'll try to find an updated driver for my old video card.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Is this XP? In the Display Properties dialog, on the Settings page, there is the Advanced button, which opens another dialog. On the Adapter page, there is a List All Modes button, and on the Monitor page, there is a "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checkbox.

If you uncheck that checkbox, and then List All Modes, you can see what the card can do with the video card drivers you have. Click Cancel to avoid selecting a mode that might cause problems.

Note that 1280x800 is a 16:10 resolution, so the aspect ratio would match. Unfortunately, it is just slightly lower than the LCD's native resolution of 1440x900, so the upscaling looks worse.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's possible you'll need a new video card. My work computer has an older, integrated graphics card that simply doesn't support current widescreen resolutions.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I didn't mention this in my original post, but my card is integrated as well. I'm going from memory since I'm at work, but I think it is a Via S3G UniChrome Pro IGP. I searched for upgraded drivers, but came up empty.

Ken - I am using XP. I'll try your suggestion tonight. Thanks.

mylan

Screenwriter
I have a similair question as well. I just got new Dell XPS 420 with a dedicated video card, ATI 2600 with 256 mb. and a new LG 22" widescreen monitor. It is connected via a vga from the monitor to a DVI adapter to the computer. The monitor has a max resolution of 1680x1050 but when I set it at this the wallpaper doesn't fill the screen and web pages look too small. The best resolution seems to be 1024x768. Is this normal?

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
1. Wallpaper probably isn't 1680x1050, try selecting "stretch" in Desktop Properties tab and it will stretch the background to your current resolution (or just find a new 1680x1050 wallpaper)
2. The reason why web pages seem so small is because of the higher resolution. The text still use the same amount of pixels, but since the resolution is higher the pixels are smaller (making the text seem smaller)
3. Yes, it is normal. You're probably just used to having a smaller resolution.

mylan

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info, I went home and found a wallpaper that was the proper rez without having to stretch but I will try it when I download some vacation pics which are 4x3.
I found a workaround on the resolution issue, I kept the rez at 1680x1050 and there is a zoom feature on the bottom right hand side that I can select 100, 125, or 150%. Most sites look fine at 125 but some sites that are not optimized for widescreen can go 150.
Oh, BTW, where have you been hiding Bobby?

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I just haven't had much time to get onto the computer between school and work. I've been reading a little bit every once in a while, but never really had much of a chance to post. Glad to hear you got your problem fixed.

mylan

Screenwriter

Good to know you are using your time wisely, not that this isn't. I have not been spending as much time on because we got our internet turned off at work. This forum is like a drug, i would come home and try to catch up with everything but I finally realized I couldn't read every post!
Regarding my problem, when you play older games, the monitor stays in the lower resolution and you must manually reset it, according to a co-worker. Thats what started this whole issue but at least I got to find out more about my new system, welcome back, don't be a stranger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks