What's new

I need help with my denon amp and energy sepakers !! (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
Hi there, I want to know if I have the right amp for the speakers I just bought... Or should I say; Do I have a killer kit !! AMP : DENON AVR-890 http://ca.denon.com/ca/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=3d9614d1-8000-4106-ab91-8192242cab83&SubId=40b5820d-83c2-4e93-9909-60aae60e0bdd&ProductId=0354d71a-a633-47be-aa92-9bea5527f0e2 Sepakers : ENERGY CF-50 5.1 http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/cf-50-5-1-overview/ SUB : VELODYNE DLS-3750-R http://www.velodyne.com/vproducts/detailpdf/DLS-3750R_Details.pdf ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a 13' wide by 17' long by 8' high fully acoustic full dark no window room in the basement what is the biggest HT screen that I can buy and what is the best projector for the cause ? Thanks in advance !!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want to know if I have the right amp for the speakers
Right as in will it drive the speakers without issues? Yes. The speakers are 8 ohm nominal. Right as in will they sound good? Did you audition the speaker before you bought them? Because if you did, they will sound very, very similar with this receiver. Right as in will this receiver do everything I want it to? I don't know your current equipment and future goals. Proper calibration is always suggested as a first step in getting accurate sound.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
Thanks guys, I feel more secure after reading your posts... I have a budget of 1500$ for a projector, what would be my best bet ?? where can i find info on Sound absorption panels, where to place them in my room and how many I need...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a budget of 1500$ for a projector, what would be my best bet ??
I'm a fan of the Panasonic AE series but the current model may be above your budget.
where can i find info on Sound absorption panels, where to place them in my room and how many I need
First you need to determine if you even need them? Clap your hands in the room. Do you hear an echo? Yes, you probably need them. How to build them -

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
I was looking on projector central web site at the top 10 HT projectors and I found this one... http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350.htm I was comparing it to this one also http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?pid_1=5910&pid_2=5911 The big difference between the 2 was the 1080P/24 and the Lumens and contrast... Is it worth the price ? Brightness (Lumens) 2000 ANSI 1600 ANSI Contrast (Full On/Off) 50000:1 200000:1 I went to my local seller a few days ago and he recommended the same ones to me... What do you guys think ?? I also was looking at the screen calculator and I was wondering, if I want a 133 inch screen I have to install my projector at the extreme end of my room witch is 17' long... I will be seated at between 13 and 15 feet from the screen... Is it ok if the projector isn't straight over my head ? Will I cast a shadow ? Should I take a smaller screen lets say 112 inches to get the projector straight over my seating position ? Will the image be clearer because the machine is closer to the screen ? Overall, what is the best resolution for me 17 feet for 133 inches or 15 feet for 112 inches ?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I sit at 12' from my 103" screen and my projector is mounted at 18'. Both the screen and projector are about 16" from the ceiling and I cast no shadows at all from my seat. The image will not be any clearer if the projector is closer, it will just be slightly brighter. If you room has proper light control you should probably turn your lamp down anyway. I've run my projector on "low power" mode the entire time I've had it. After 5 minutes in the room, my eyes adjust and the image is amazing.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Jesse - you should read the detailed reviews of both projectors on the projectorcentral website as well as at www.projectorreviews.com.

The listed specs for projectors are not a good basis for comparison. When properly calibrated and set up, the brightness will be significantly less than the stated spec - hence the importance of reading the detailed reviews. In each review, the actual measured lumen output for each projector after calibration is provided, as well as ballpark guidelines for optimal screen sizes for each.

Based on my quick scan of the reviews (you should read them carefully) it seems as though a 133" screen from the 8350 might be pushing it a bit. The 8700 is a much pricier projector and will produce adequate brightness at 133" after calibration.

Only you can decide if it's worth the price. If you're flexible on reducing screen size a bit, the 8350 is an attractive option. As one of the reviews mentions, it faces some competition from the Mitsubishi HC4000 - but that's a DLP projector and placement flexibility may be a problem if you don't have high ceilings.

Good luck.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
What would be the best bet for me if I want to add 2 speakers to my collection to become a 7.1 surround system, i have this 5.1 kit Sepakers : ENERGY CF-50 5.1 http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/cf-50-5-1-overview/ should I add http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/cb-20-overview/ or should I add http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/cb-10-overview/ Will I loose overall amp performance if i add 2 bookshelf speakers ? Will I have the same performance as I have now with the 5.1 if I switch it to 7.1 ?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Probably neither. I would consider going with the even smaller CB-5.

Consider first of all that the rear surrounds in a 7.1 system won't be used any more frequently than your current surrounds (CR-10) for 5.1 (even if you use Dolby PLII for normal listening). So you really don't want to spend any more than you have to.

The CB-5 has the same .75" tweeter and the same 4.5" woofer as the CR-10. The CB-10 is a 5.5" and the CB-20 is a 6.5" woofer - unnecessary for rear surrounds. More importantly, the sensitivities are identical, so overall their performance will be a much closer match to the CR-10s than either of the other two options at all volumes.

Just some food for thought.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
great idea dude TY :) Will my amp have less overall power if I plug a 7.1 system than what i'm driving now 5.1 ? Will I loose sound or volume because of these 2 extra speakers ?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will my amp have less overall power if I plug a 7.1 system than what i'm driving now 5.1 ?
If you receiver has a higher wattage rating in stereo when compared to 5.1 or 7.1 then yes, you will have slightly lower maximum wattage per speaker.
Will I loose sound or volume because of these 2 extra speakers ?
You will lose a fraction of a db off of your maximum SPL per speaker. Will you notice? No. Your ears aren't that sensitive. Receiver wattage is almost a useless specification on receiver. The uninformed would freak out and not buy a receiver is it didn't have a wattage rating. Most here know that all modern home theater receiver have more than enough power to drive most speakers into ear bleeding levels.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
Is there a difference in quality for HDMI wires, I will be needing a wire that is 25 feet long to attach my projector to my amp...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As long as they meet the specs set up by the HDMI committee, then a $20 HDMI cable will work exactly the same as a $200 HDMI cable. My projector is connected with a 35 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice.com.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'll second the quality of the monoprice cables. I have a 25 footer for my projector and haven't had a single problem. Something like this will be plenty beefy enough for you.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
I have to buy HT screen material ... I will probably have a 112" size screen where is the best place to buy the screen tissue ? I am going to buy the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350, can anyone tell me what is the best throw distance for maximum quality for this machine... http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350-projection-calculator-pro.htm My room is 17 feet long 13 feet wide and 8 feet high, I will be seated between 13 an 15 feet from the screen... MY ROOM HAS 100% NO LIGHT & NO WINDOWS...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I used blackout fabric which is available at Hancock's or Joann's. You are limited to about 105" max due to the width. But a total cost of around $10 is great.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Since you have total light control, and the Epson has a 2.1x zoom lens, you have a huge amount of placement flexibility - I don't think there's any real "optimal" throw. Ballpark the projector placement to fall in the middle of the throw range for your desired screen size and you'll have enough flexibility with the zoom to adjust up or down if needed.

Looking at the calculator, if you place the projector at 14' throw distance, zoom adjustment will give you a screen size anywhere from 69" to 146".

If ambient light was a potential problem, you would want to place the projector at the low end of the throw distance (more forward) so that the zoom was set higher resulting in a slightly brighter image. Conversely, the farther back you place the projector, the lower the brightness.

In a room with 100% light control, these considerations are just about moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks