What's new

I need help connecting cable box to TV & receiver :) (1 Viewer)

Silkyandme

Auditioning
Real Name
Laura
I hope someone can help me with their knowledge. I just purchased a new Samsung 50 inch LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV Model # UN50JS7000FXZA and would like to know the best way to connect my DVR, TV, Receiver and Karaoke CD player together.

I am not familiar with the different types of HDMI connections on the TV, and the USB ports. I do not know which type of connections works better than others. I have all the types of cables to connect everything, yet not sure which way to go to get the best sound out of my components. I have a DVD player and a Blue RAY DVD to connect as well.

I am a novice trying to find out the best way to hook up my stuff, so I do not cause any harm to my components, putting them together and overload something.

I have attached a diagram of the components and their connection types as a visual.

Thank you for your help! :)

Laura

Attachments

• Receiver T V Connections tv dvr receiver dvd blank.pdf
    80.1 KB · Views: 280

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Lots to connect and I'm not sure how you're using the VCR. Are you recording anything, or just playing back?
Also, is there a reason for the DVD along with the Bluray? It doesn't have an HDMI connection so you'd be betetr off removing it completely and just using the Bluray.

In any case, the basic rule is run everything to your receiver and then go from the receiver to the TV. (Unless you sometimes want to just use the TV speakers sometimes. That muddies things up and you'd again have to give specifics of intended use). The weird thing is your receiver only has 2 HDMI INs, but has optical OUTs, it's not common to have so few HDMIs (low end receiver) and optical out (high end receiver) But to the crux, cable box and Bluray connect to the receiver with HDMI. The VR connects to the receiver's VCR input using Red/White and Yellow cables. The Karaoke can connect to the receiver TV/SAT using the same cables. CD and Cassette players connect to receiver CD and CDR-Tape-MD with Red/White cables respectively. The receiver needs at least an HDMI connection to the TV. Then depending on the receiver, you may also need a component cable (blue-green-red) and a video cable (yellow). The reason those last two connects are a "maybe" is that your receiver might send them over the HDMI. You can try it first, or let us know your receiver's model.

(The VCR connection assumed you weren't recording anything. Figured it was best to start with the basics.)

Silkyandme

Auditioning
Real Name
Laura
Thank you for messaging me so quickly!
My intent is to be able to watch TV with the receiver on or off.
The receiver is Pioneer VSX-90TXV Elite Audio/Video Multi-channel Receiver. Just curious, why is it weird to have only 2 HDMI INs and optical OUTs?
The Karaoke JVC Video CD player XL-SV22BK, I would like to be able to see the words on the TV screen.
The Sony VCR SKV-N700, I had it hooked up with the intent to watch as well as record shows with the DVR cable box.
I had the DVD first and bought the Blu-ray later. I can move the DVD player to another room.

Prior to having bought the TV, I had a Plasma TV and the one thing I noticed after watching a show, I’d turn off the TV before turning off the cable box and receiver and the sound got louder. I definitely had it hooked up wrong.

I thought I would be able to upload the receiver’s owner’s manual, yet it was too large. I did find the owner’s manual with google for all of the electronics.

The information that you gave me is so helpful! I look forward to seeing your reply!

Again, thank you so much for your help!!
Laura

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When that AVR was new, HDMI was still new. No AVR, even over $2000 at the time, had more than 3.

The only way, with that AVR, to "watch tv" with or without the Pioneer is to...

1. Hook up the DVR to the TV
2. Hook up the DVR to the Pioneer.

Yes. Two hookups. Since this is cable...you need to know if the DVR allows HDMI and component(red, green and blue)/optical-analog at the same time. If this were satellite...all outputs are always hot. Concast and Time Werner tend to have their boxes kill analog if digital is used.

Queenie

Auditioning
Real Name
Queenie
Pls help me with my samsung UA48JU6000.. at first all audio works well.. then i tried connecting via wifi after few minutes exploring the smart hub i switched back to my analouge chanel then poof audio was gone ... other audio works fine aside from my analouge chanels :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks