What's new

I need advice/help finding work in the UK. (1 Viewer)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm Canadian and I am about to get a work visa so that I can go work in England for about a year or so. Does anyone know of some really good recruitment agencies over there? There are so many that I have found on the net that it is hard to search through all of them. I'm looking for engineering work so I'm trying to find some agencies that specifically deal with engineers.
I'd appreciate any help that you guys have. Of course if any of you are recruiters or know someone looking to hire an engineer then I'd love to hear from you.
I'm going over there to be with my girlfriend who is finishing her master's in Liverpool. And if you want an indication of how great she is, consider the fact that I am leaving all of my HT equipment behind for a whole year just to collect dust. I must really be crazy about her (or am I just crazy :)).

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm. I would have said that the Institute of Civil Engineers (www.ice.org.uk) or Mechanical Engineers (Link Removed) might be of use.
I used to be with the Institue of Physics and they had jobs pages and stuff. So if that's your line of work, it could be useful.
Otherwise, you could just start sending CVs off to appropriate companies. Not being an engineer I couldn't say for sure which companies that might be, I'm afraid.
Good Luck
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Chris, if you're going to be living in Liverpool, then I guess you will want a job locally. You might consider looking in the on-line version of the local newspaper, the Liverpool Echo:
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/
Look for the drawing of the goldfish, which will lead you to the 'Fish 4' section, which contains, inter alia, job adverts.
Hope this is of use.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Someone else will know but I believe the Wharfdale M5 that Tescos do is a sub £200 (or even £150?) DVD player that is multi-region via a handset hack.
With Play247 doing the DVDs dirt cheap and very early you need not miss out on your old faves or the new Canadian releases.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks guys. Actually my degree is in Engineering Physics so I will try to find the web page for the Institute of Physics. Also, my girlfriend mentioned fish 4 jobs too so I will check that out.
Thanks for your help,
Chris Dias

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Should be www.iop.org I would think. They have a magazine (Physics World I think) which has jobs and things on the site but you may have to be a member.
Failing that there's always NEW SCIENTIST magazine - you can probably pick up a copy from your newsagents over there...
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters
[Edited last by TheoGB on November 13, 2001 at 06:40 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks