What's new

I need a Storage Solution (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Carlos I was wondering how double sided disks would be handled. Which player do you have ?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Take it down to the repair center and get them removed, would be my first choice

Although if someone broke in and snagged your changer they'd be getting a nice bonus

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave: You're a veteran of the ThinPak thread over in Software/Films & Docs, right? Didn't you convert all your films into slim cases?

I haven't done any of my TVonDVD because I figure ThinPaks aren't going to get them much smaller anyhow....unless I put them in slim doubles, maybe. But...I don't have a lot of TVonDVD either. A few Dick Van Dyke, some CSI, Seinfeld sets.

But, it wouldbe a fair amount of work to scan the artwork and create individual slim cases for each disc. I'm not sure the effort would pay off with any great space savings. The Van Dyke sets, for example, are already in slims (but, admittedly, single slims).

Hmmmmmmmm.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Majority of my 1200 movies are in Slims on a different larger rack, those will be staying in the slims and are'nt really an issue. It's the 579 disks of TV on DVD and their often huge packaging I'm trying to combat.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I started using binders and have had no problems with scratching. You just have to be careful putting the disk in and taking them out, but I'm always careful anyway. I would like to move almost my entire collection over, but my wife doesn't want me to. I am to the point where the smaller total space of a half-dozen or so binders, would be preferable.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I guess my question is: you think you'd save a lot of space by converting the packaging to slimcases? What would you do....use slim doubles?

Noah U

Auditioning
I also have two 200+ binders and haven't had any scratching problems. I use one for movies and one for TV. I am about to buy another one since my movie binder is almost full.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I have them all! :) One Sony 875 (300), Sony 985 (400) & 2 Pioneer Elite's F07 (300 ea). The Sony 875 flips disks. I had a power outage once, and the machine put the disk back into the first available slot (never the correct one). But with all of these, if you run into a problem about 6 screws takes the top off, and you can easily find the problem. You don't break any seals doing this.

The Sony's allow you to capture a still of each movie and set it up with the slot number and the title with a PC keyboard. Since the Pioneer's are coupled together one controller runs both, but with 2 Sony's the same remote works for both of them, so they are separated.

As for theft, I made up a custom back panel for the back of my cabinets and any thief is going to go nuts unplugging cables. Even using wire cutters won't be easy because they are backed up against a wall. Never mind the alarms!

So, if you don't care about the cover art that much and really want to save some space, this is the way to go.

Glenn

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Dave, the DVD changers I have are the Sony DVP-CX875 (the same device Glenn just mentioned). I have 3 of these changers, they flip and play the 2nd side of the disc. Too bad they no longer produce this unit, and all the recent ones Sony makes no longer have the FLIP option. I'm sure other companies may produce changers with the FLIP option, but I doubt any are as affordable as the CX875. This was a great option, if ever Sony brings back the option in future DVD changers, you can be sure I'll pick a few more up.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
To all those using binders what type are you using? Also Mike when I said Slim cases I mean Slim CD Jewel Cases not trimpaks.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Mine is a mid-priced one I picked up at Wal-Mart. I think it holds 128 discs. Each sheet holds 8, 4 on one side & 4 on the other. I could move darn near all of my collection into just a few of these and save a lot of space. Right now though I am just putting new titles in the binder. We already have 2 DVD storage shelves we bougth at Best Buy and no place to put any more.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But aren't binders usually "three-hole" beasts? Or are you thinking maybe they make binders specifically the size of the caes?

And, Dave...I am admitttedly thick as a brick on the "binder strategy" :D , but wouldn't just having them in cases on a shelf take up less space than putting them in the cases in a binder? I sometimes have trouble thinking "outside the box"! :laugh:

Understand, I'm not trying to be a naysayer, I am desperately interested in your situation and how you're going to resolve it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
THe binders they make for CD's have four posts for two sets of cd holders.

I think Binders still won't take up as much space especially if I can get a binder that holds 200 disks or so. Some of my sets like the TNG sets are huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks