I need a new receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by StevePMo, Feb 10, 2013.

1. StevePMo

StevePMo Auditioning

Hello all, I am new here, and I am on the hunt for a receiver that will convert component to HDMI. I have a Denon AVR 590 that just bit the dust, I loved it, but I doubt getting it repaired will be cost effective. I am not looking for anything fancy, or super powerful, this is just for my bedroom. My main problem is that I have limited space in which to place it. I saw HH Gregg had a nice Pioneer VSX-1022-K that will do what I need, but according to the manual, it needs 15 inches of space from the top of the unit for ventilation, and I just don't have that kind of room, my TV stand has MAYBE 3 inches of space for my Denon, and I would imagine the Pioneer is about the same size. I am tempted to get it anyway, as they have it on sale for $250. Any other suggestions for a lower priced receiver that will do what I need?' Thanks in advance, Steve

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Pioneer receivers, at least the 4-5 that I've had, seem to run much cooler than any other brand I've had (which is all consumer level brands but Yamaha). But three inches isn't much. The Marantz 1602/1603 are much shorter but they're considerably more expensive. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARNR1602/Marantz-NR1602-SlimLine-AV-Receiver-7.1ch-with-Networking-and-AirPlay/1.html

3. StevePMo

StevePMo Auditioning

Thanks , but that's a bit more than I want to spend. I think I'll just take a chance on the Pioneer, for the money, it is hard to match the features it has. I won't be stressing it with high volumes, but my speakers are 6 ohms ( 4 x Jamo C406, and 1 X Jamo C400 center ), I hear that 6 ohm speakers tax an amp more than 8 ohms do. Is this true?

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That 3" clearance is probably why your Denon died. All 6ohm means is the AVR needs less gain to produce the same power...so it is easier to "over-drive" your amp section. But if you don't "jam", you won't have a problem.

5. StevePMo

StevePMo Auditioning

I've had the Denon for 3 years, just wondering if it takes heat build up that long to kill a receiver? My only other option for placement, is to either buy a new stand for my system, which I really don't want to do, trying to save money, or place it on top of a dresser, but then I'll have to buy longer HDMI and component cables.

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    As cheap as HDMI and component cables are...move the AVR...your new one will thank you. This is cheap...and AmazonBasics aren't bad. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SCU8U/ref=twister_B0052SCTLI?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. StevePMo

StevePMo Auditioning

Thanks Sam, I'll probably go that route !!

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Partsexpress also has some good prices on long run hdmi cables in their clearance section. http://www.parts-express.com/term/clearance_center_factory_buyouts?c=158,1197,2140 Monoprice.com is another place to look.