What's new

I Need A New DVD Supplier (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
After having had a long and happy relationship with the wonderful folks at The Laser's Edge I was saddened and shocked to see their website announcement today that they are closing their doors for good effective immediately. I wish them the best in the future.

One gets comfortable dealing with someone over time and now I must find a new company from which to buy my DVD's. Does anyone have any suggestions - someone with great customer service and the ability to get my DVD's in the mail so they arrive on their release date?

Thanks much.

Brad

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brad,

I feel your pain.

I have been dealing with Lasers Edge for more years than
I can remember. The beauty of their company was that anytime
I needed to cancel an order or make changes, a human's voice
was only a phone call away.

I have been dealing with Amazon as of late. Joined their PRIME
program and am enjoying DVD releases at my door by or just
after release day -- though that's certainly much later than I
would have gotten it with Lasers Edge.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Digital Eyes / DVDPlanet exclusively for years.

Best prices online, customer reward points, monthly promotions, great discount codes, terrific returns/exchange policy-especially for int'l sales, hepful customer service, etc. The only other e-tailer I'd go with on a regular basis if only shipping charges to Canada were more reasonable, would be Amazon.com...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I had used Lasers Edge quite a bit also over the past few years but, sorry to say, today's announcement was not that big a shock. A couple of my recent orders were messed up and I didn't end up ordering another big name title from them because they never listed it on their website. Another relatively big title I ordered was added only after I asked them about it.

When things like this start accumulating one gets the feeling there are bigger underlying issues.

This is still sad though since when things were good, they were really good. I usually got my orders the Friday before release date (sometimes Thursday if the studio got their stuff to them sooner). Their phone customer service was excellent and the problems I mentioned earlier were resolved without too much hassle. I hope their owners and employees are able to land on their feet very soon.

I'd also be interested in recommendations for another vendor particularly those who get product shipped as promptly as Lasers Edge did.

Steve

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check out Digital Eyes / DVDPlanet as well as Amazon's PRIME program.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Marco: amazon.com is very good. Yes, you pay for shipping. But it usually more than compensates for the taxes etc. I'd have to pay from within Canada (otherwise, in that rare instance, I wouldn't use them). I can clue you in to some details by PM if you want, some that are not apparent from their site for "international" customers, and that are quite good...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Craig, please do!

Their selection and stock alone can't be beat and the occassions I have purchased larger orders (books, box sets, etc) have been pretty leniant with customs which is always a relief!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Done...hope it's useful. This is for people in Canada. If we were in the U.S. we might make a different choice, but amazon.com has a good system set up for us northern furrenners.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Try DVD Empire I've been doing business with them for years. They are an EXCELLENT company. They have a very, very good pre-order system. Orders shipped on a Friday via USPS Expedited always arrive on the following Monday.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
Give them a shot.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
In a strange twist of nastolgic timing, just yesterday I finally deleted my links for Reel.com DVD Resource; BigPicture DVD.com and DVD Journal...may they all RIP.

It's always sad to see the good ones go....now Laser's Edge. I coulnd't fina anyone in Canada at all that was worth dealing with so got a US address and have stuff sent there and cross the line to get. A hassle, but for some reason, Canadian etailers just don't seem to measure up. Would love to stand corrected on this one.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also am an Amazon Prime member. I find their prices are competitive on pre-releases particularly. The Prime membership costs somewhere around $100, I think, but it means they ship your orders the same day, and you get free 2-day shipping. Or, you can upgrade to 1-day shipping for $3.95 U.S. I use Amazon for almost all my book and classical CD purchases as well, so the Prime membership pays for itself rather quickly, IMO.

I second DVD Empire. They have a great selection, and offer free shipping on 3 or more titles.

I also use DeepDiscount.com. They have free shipping on all titles, but it is slow. However, on pre-release orders, I usually get my orders the day of the release or sometimes the weekend before.

Matthew H

Second Unit
As much as I respect Amazon as a company, I've never been satisfied with their shipping. I've pre-ordered things months in advance and payed for expeditied shipping, only to receive it 3 or 4 days after the release date.. there's been times where I've tracked my order and the day after the release day it still hasn't left the warehouse.

I personally use DVDEmpire if I want something on the day it comes out, otherwise DeepDiscount if you don't mind waiting an extra week or so.. usually their prices are the best if other e-tailers aren't running sales.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I rarely ever had problems with their shipping and have almost never had problems with their shipping once I got Amazon Prime. And on average, I order DVDs three of the four weeks in a month and a couple of books every month and I get them all on release date 99% of the time.

EDIT: If I order something that has already been released, it'll usually be at my house in less than 24 hours.

Serega_M

Agent
For international customers DVDPacific is the best, for the American ones - dunno, but they are ones of the best anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks