I made up my mind on which amp (Rotel)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by jeff_coil, Aug 11, 2003.

1. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Hello well I finally made up my mind on some off board power would like some opinions on how I did and where to go in the future. Here is my current setup, well the important parts

Denon 3803
    Denon 1600
    Toshiba 57HDX82
    Fronts CDM 9NT's
    Center CDM CNT
    Rears CDM 7NT's
    SVS 20-39 Pc+
    Room = 29x29x8 (HT/bar)
    Music (2ch)/movies = 60-40

The B&W’s have always been crying for more power but the Denon has done an okay job for the last 8 months and would have probably shined even more on a more efficient speaker line

When I initially put this together I knew I would be moving into separates but in baby steps. I took the first baby step this weekend- hope it was the right one ( I think it was), I purchased the Rotel 1080 (2x200) to light up the 9nt's, however they had to order and will have Wednesday. I was having a hard time deciding between the 1080 and the 1075 (5x120) same price. I listened to both with the 9nt’s and I must say that both amps are great performers but the 1080 had the additional headroom and extension the 9’s were looking for. It was my initial thinking that the 1075 would probably give me more bang for the buck at this time but in the long run I felt the 1080 was a better choice as I will be adding more power this fall, probably the 1090 (2x380).

My dilemma is what to do with the center I am concerned with the front matching running the Denon and Rotel amps which I can live with for a while but what to do about later? I will not be moving to 7.1 system for a couple of years which would make it an easier choice as I could get the big 5 channel next.

Any thoughts?

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

My question would be to inquire as to whether you listen to mostly music or use your system for mostly HT. This is because I personally usually listen to music in two channels, so my front right and left speakers would very much benefit from having enough juice. With HT, most of your sound comes from your center channel. I use a 5 channel dedicated amp for my system and it serves me well for both applications, but it really all depends on your needs. You might want to post your question here as it is a board dedicated to Rotel products with a lot of good, knowledgable advise.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

4. jeff_coil

I was thinking on moving the 1080 to the 7nt's at the time I picked up the 1090. But you are right that still leaves the center hooked to the Denon. I have been struggling with this the whole weekend and have asked my guy to hold off ordering until I can figure it out. The more I am thinking the more I think I should get the 1075 which brings up some other questions:

What are the main differences between the builds of the 1080 and the 1075? Do they both use separate power supplies etc for all channels?

Is anyone using the 1075 to drive the same speakers I have?

Wait a minute the 1075 doesn't have balanced inputs and I may want these in the future.

Maybe I should hold off a few weeks and get the 1095 and the 1090 latter!?

Thanks everyone for talking me through this
    What a mess I am normally I have this all figured out

5. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

I have a Rotel RSP-1066 / RMB-1075 combo driving a CDM-9NT / CDM-CNT combo. The 1075 drives the living hell out of this setup. Maybe because I'm running them all SMALL, due to the SVS in the corner. If I ever do go 7.1, I would get a 1080 for the CDM-9's. I A/B'd both the 1075 & the 1095, & didn't see the need. After all, we are only talking a few DB's. My room is 40X30, with 12' ceilings. The 1075 barely gets warm, and it has more balls than I do with the volume! My advice is to dump the 3803 & get a 1066 / 1075 combo. The BM bugs are long gone, & it won't cost that much once you sell the Denon. The amps in the Denon are not adequate IMO for those speakers. It's like trying to tow a boat with a V6. You "can", but a V8 would do a better job.

6. jeff_coil

Thanks Skyker, great info. Just what I needed another angle [​IMG] What are you running for surrounds?

I hear what you are saying about the Denon but it isn't that bad as I have everything set to small too. But it is night and day with either the 1075 or the 1080 that I auditioned this weekend. I just talked to my B&M guy, great guy BTW anyway I am going to run up and grab a 1095 and the 1075 and play around with them for a few days it boils down to about twice the cost for the 1095 vs. 1075. As far as the 1066 he also told me that they are letting them go for around $1250 how is that price? I haven't looked lately but it seems that they were selling used for around 1100 a month or so ago

Hmm dump the Denon not a bad idea

Anyone know what the 3803 is worth these days?

7. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

A few more suggestions to make your decision that much simpler. [​IMG]

If you're going to stick with a 5.1 setup, then the discontinued RB-993 is a great amp. It's almost identical to the 1080 on a per-channel basis, only it has three channels. You could pick one up now, and add something smaller for the rears (like a 1070 or perhaps even a 1080) later if HT is your primary concern, or if you're a power nut and listen to mostly 2-channel you could add a 1090 for the L/R and move the 993 to center and rear duties (not necessarily optimal power distribution for HT).

If you're planning on a 7.1 setup (or have one now), then I think buying a 5-channel amp now and adding a more powerful stereo amp in the future is a good value approach. It isn't the only one though. You can always take a 993/1070 system and simply add another 1070 to the mix. You have to compare the costs that way though... say, 1080 + 1075 vs. 993 + 1070 + 1070 (the 993 being used kinda makes the comparison more complicated).

You also have to think of the different philosophies in power supply design. A monoblock for each channel guarantees full power regardless of multichannel source material demands. A shared power supply might struggle once in a while on demanding multichannel music, but might have more headroom when listening to just 2-channel material.

I personally like the flexibility that comes with having multiple independent chassis for various channels. If I want to upgrade the amplification to the center channel, or to the L/R, or to the rears, I can just upgrade those associated amplifiers and not have to upgrade a whole 5 or 7 channel amp. I can move a stereo amp to another room and replace it with one more or less powerful for the main system. I can biamp channels easily by recombining or adding amplifiers, and can go back to a non-biamped configuration by selling only the involved amps. Very flexible. That's why I have a pair of 991's and six 981's. Not the most cost effective approach though.

8. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

Wow, that's one hell of an amp collection! I like your approach though. My approach is size limited. I don't have ANY more room in my rack these days. I'm using B&W LM1's at the moment, back wall high mounted.

My Equipment

HDTV - Pioneer Elite 630HD
    Processor - Rotel RSP-1066 (Silver)
    Amplification - Rotel RMB-1075 (Silver)
    Front - B&W CDM 9NT's (Black Ash)
    Center - B&W CDM CNT (Black Ash)
    Surrounds - B&W LM1's (Pearl)
    Subwoofer - SVS 2531 PC+ (PB2+ on order)
    Progressive DVD - Panasonic DVD-RP91K, XP50
    SACD Changer - Sony CDP-222ES
    PVR/Digital Cable Box - SA Explorer 8000
    HD Digital Cable Box - SA Explorer 3100HD
    Gaming System - Sony PS2
    Remote - Home Theater Master MX-500
    Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300
    Rack Light - Panamax RacMax

9. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I'm into Rotel too as I have a 1080 driving CDM1NTs and a 985mkII driving the center and rears. No problem with the center channel power being inadequate.

My only beef with the 900 series of amps is that they don't have triggers so I have to turn the 985 on by itself. I'll probably move to the 1075 (used) to get the trigger function eventually.

Bob

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Better than most have gotten. The going rate seems to be about 10% off msrp or $1350.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ideally I'd like to see you get the 1075 now and use if to take the load off your Denon then add either the 1080 or 1090 later on for the fronts. Selling the Denon and getting the 1066 would also be a nice upgrade. Check out Club Rotel and see how many of us used to own Denon before moving up to Rotels (hint there's a lot of us[​IMG])

12. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I'm using a Rotel 1075 to power Nautilus 805 mains and the Nautilus HTM2 center channel. I'm using 601S2s for the rears. I recently moved up to the Nautilus from the CDM1SE and CDMCSE. The 1075 has no problem powering the 805s. You should be good to go!

13. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Bob-N

14. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Richard,

Yeah, I've seen some of the things that some people have done to get there amp on via an AC relay. I seriously thought about the one where the relay is set into a power strip so that you could turn on all of your equipment through the strip but didn't like the idea of modding a power strip. I'm a safety engineer by occupation and don't necessarily like modding equipment if I don't have to.

I have also seen that plug outlet that has some switched outlets when the main one's detects power. It's a Craftsman (Sears) device. I bought it then returned it when I forgot that my old house has mainly non grounded outlets and it needed two grounded outlets.

It's not a huge thing but it does bug me once in a while. I can live with it for now.

Thanks for the info.

Bob

15. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

Jeff:

I'd recommmend going with the RMB-1095(5@200).

If you later decide to go 7 channel, just add a 1080(2@200)

Jim

16. jeff_coil

WOW thanks for all the input! The verdict played out like this. There was some missing info however. I am intending to move into the Nautilus line in the next year and going into this I was pretty pleased with the HT side of my setup (not knowing any better) but really it sounded pretty good. I was initially trying to improve the 2 Channel. But the more I was thinking the 1080 wasn’t going to cut the mustard when I upgrade my speakers. But I only had the budget for either the 1080 or 1075.

The verdict
    I brought a 1075 and the 1080 home and I started to play. The 1080 did open up the 9nt’s a bit more than the 1075- no surprise here but the 1075 also did wonders for the rest of the system and did a real fine job with the 2 channel. Done deal I kept the 1075 and will be getting the 1090 later this fall which will better position me when I move into the Nautilus line not to mention what it will do for the 9nt's. I am truly amazed with this amp and was well worth it, I am hearing things in my favorite music that I have never heard before. The only DVD I have played so far is Hell freezes over- simply amazing!

I will be creating more detailed thread on my impressions and the upgrade over the 3803 amp section. I should note that the 3803 is doing a fine job as a pre/pro- but hell what do I know!

Thanks for all the help I feel great about the decision and can’t wait for the next toy, Todd my dealer is trying to get me to bring home the 1066 for a while but I am pretty sure I would have to have it so I am not jumping at the chance just yet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jeff_coil

Skyler- How do you like the LM's I was thinking on picking up a pair of those for the rears I don't have much space to work with. Oh crap then I would be 2 channels short on amplicication agian...I hate when that happens

18. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Jeff you made a good choice on the 1075 for now...and you're right about not wanting to demo the 1066 if you don't want to buy it right now[​IMG] I was stunned how good the 1075 sounded in my system also so I wasn't really suprised to hear you liked it. Come join us in Club Rotel now[​IMG]

19. jeff_coil

Andrew I will be heading to Club Rotel over soon since I belong now [​IMG]! Hey I was looking at you rack set up and noticed you have the 1098 sitting on top of your 1075. No problems? I would think it would be fine as the 1075 at least mine runs really cool just barely warm to the touch. The reason I ask is I am in the process of finishing up my oak and glass rack that I am building and I would like to stack the Denon on top for a few days but the Denon I imagine is quite a bit heaver than your Pre/Pro. What do you think?

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Right I've been watching the for heat issues but so far the 1075 seems to run pretty cool which really isn't surprising given all the heat sinks on it (there's two that run along the sides as well as the front one). When I get me new CD player I might move the pre over to the other side and put the CD player on its own shelf where the pre is now but that won't happen for a few months (I'm waiting for the new 1072 CD player)

As for your situation providing the shelves can take the weight it shouldn't be an issue