What's new

I Love Lucy: Possible Paramount DVD release soon? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Ron,

I have the first two Columbia House discs and cmpared to the tired, worn, fuzzy tapes the television studios put on the air (including TV-Land), they are excellent quality. You also have to take into consideration that television was still in its infantcy 50 years ago and the original elements, even if pristine, won't compare to current film stock or looks.

As you said, "who knows?". After Paramount dumping their initial plans for the "best of" box sets last year because of poor source materials, I wonder why the sudden change of heart unless they can get them on the cheap through CH as is?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Well said, Steven. The CH discs are better than some other TV product I have! Ron, the introductory disc was the first disc Columbia House issued. It had the Vitameatavegimen episode, and the other 3 in order episodes. That is considered one of the best episodes, so they issued that first.

Andy

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well... I can't say whether the alleged Oppenheimer comment has any validity or not, but I have to say I had wondered whether Paramount was simply using the Columbia House transfers.

Previously, I'd posted here that my office had done some post-production work on the VHS versions of these, Volumes 1 through 4.

I saw a bit of the first volume, and on the unaired pilot, they flashed a card telling about the discovery of the pilot and the fact that the original announcer had dubbed in two lines of narration that had been missing. It looked to me exactly like the card on the CH release -- black letters over the "I Love Lucy" satin heart. It even said, "for this DVD release," which I thought was odd, since as far as I knew we were doing the work for VHS. But I remember thinking, "You know, that looks just like the CH introduction. Did they just use the same tape masters?" Then, "Nah, they wouldn't do that."

But it is a bit of a coincidence that that my office recevied only Vols 1-4 of this series. Chronologically, that's all that's been issued through Columbia House, Vols. 1-4 -- with the exact same episodes as the Paramount versions. (The fifth disc, the introductory disc, was from the middle of the series, not chronological.)

Like I said, I can't verify anything, and I don't want to start any untrue rumors, but the alleged Greg Oppenheimer comment does make me wonder.

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
I really hope Paramount doesn't simply reissue the Columbia House DVD's. I was buying those but have stopped 'cause I felt it would take way too many DVD's to get a full season not to mention the possible entire series run.

When I heard that Paramount was ready to release their own DVD'd I sold my CH versions on e-bay thinking Paramount would do I LOVE LUCY the right way...season sets. Don't tell me it'll be the same old versions.

I do LOVE LUCY but 4 episodes per DVD?

No Thanks...Call me when your ready to do this the right way...season box sets!

Regards,

Lee

Chuck L

Screenwriter
It doesn't appear that the shows are even in order!

Just like Lee said, until it comes in season boxes and it worth the money in the long run, as much as I would love to have it...I won't be buying.

Will K

Screenwriter
If this is true, it's very disappointing. I don't think I'll be buying them this way. What the heck is Par thinking?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This surprises me. You would think of all the studios, Paramount would be the last to do this after the negative feedback they got from their Star Trek TOS releases. I guess they didn't learn from that though.

Or maybe they think only Star Trek fans want/deserve season sets.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, I guess a petition is in order, am I right?

If Fox still had the home video rights there'd be season sets, no question about it!

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Who needs a season box? The discs are $9.75 at DVD empire, what a savings over CH. Not to mention it is season 1 not just a best of collection.

I didnt hear anyone complain about 3-4 episodes on the Twilight Zone discs, which were more expensive, and not in order.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I can't believe it either! Looking at DVD Empire's list of features, it is exactly the same disc Columbia House is putting out... same episisodes, same features and most likely, same transfer. Guess the price reflects that?
Just can't figure out why CH would or could still sell their over-priced editions?
Could anyone find out from Paramount what their plan is? I would hate to cancel out on my CH subscription only to start the Paramount series and they quit mid-way through!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, I have not been paying too much
attention to the latest developements in the
Parmount I Love Lucy DVD release.
But if what I am reading here is true, Paramount
is off their rocker for releasing these titles
in 4-episode sets.
Didn't they learn their lesson with Star Trek TOS?
I hope to God this isn't Paramount's gameplan.
They should release LUCY exactly as they did
with STAR TREK: TNG.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Ron...is the Paramount rep still with us to maybe shed light on this. Haven't seen anything in weeks from him.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Our Paramount representative is away this week.

As much as I like the guy, he keeps specs

very quiet until a Press Release is made.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Kurt says....Who needs a season box? The discs are $9.75 at DVD empire, what a savings over CH. Not to mention it is season 1 not just a best of collection.

I didnt hear anyone complain about 3-4 episodes on the Twilight Zone discs, which were more expensive, and not in order.

I really believe that reasoning behind why people are upset about this and say not the Twilight Zone series is the basic fact of the advancement of DVD. Granted, the technology to do a series run was available then, but no one really knew that there would be a interest in such a high cost item.

In the past year or so, things have changed. The studios know that there are interest in series being released in sets, not just four shows here and four shows there. That is why I never purchased the Charlie's Angels DVD that was offered...TWO SHOWS...Hell no. And not at $20 a shot.

BUT...there are other shows that we have yet to see will stand the test of time in season sets such as OZ, Sex and The City, the first season of Friends coming...

I LOVE LUCY is a television milestone and set the bar for everything that came after. A true classic if there ever has been one on television. It deserves better...and it's fans deserve better than that.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Ron,

I believe the term "box set" is being loosely used here. I have seen various online retailers state a 2-3 disc set in a single case as a "box set". Don't ask me why?

Anyway, the Columbia House single disc contains 4 episodes each and they ship 1 disc (4 episodes) every 6 weeks or so so what Paramount is doing is releasing the discs "as is" the same way CH has done!

In other words, they are not boxing them up like Star Trek or OZ, but releasing the series just as CH did one keep case at a time, but hopefully all at once?

It sounds like exactly what one person posted here stated... a simple repackaging but where as CH is only up to 20 episodes, maybe they will release all 30+ at once per season - just not in a cardboard box?

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
This volume concept maybe ok for some, but the main rason I didn't purchase any of the Star Trek:TOS was that I had many on LD - but the main reason was - space.

With 4 episodes per disc - and if you want all of the show - that is quite a few DVDs to store. With my collection already close to 600-700 DVDs, this is definitely a NO BUY!

I'll wait until someone eventually releases this as a TRUE boxset - one season per box. None of this Volume crap!

StevenA

Second Unit
I am stunned at this news. Hasn't the message been made clear enough yet about how to present TV series on DVD?

No season box sets, no new restoration, no animated title sequences. No sale.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think SPACE is the ultimate concern.

I devoted an entire shelve to the 40

Star Trek discs. That's way too much

wasted room.

What I ended up having to do was get a

5-disc alpha case and consolidate all

those DVDs.

THE TWILIGHT ZONE was one of the very

first TV releases on DVD. So was STAR TREK.

Since then, other studios have successfully

demonstrated how much more cost and space

efficient it is to buy TV series in entire

season sets.

You pay LESS per DVD and you SAVE on storage

space.

Finally, in regards to the post above, I

don't necessarily feel that the absence of

an animated menu is a BUY or DON'T BUY factor.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I think the above poster was referring to the original opening credits of Lucy which featured an animated likeness of Lucy and Desi...you can see these credits on TV Land.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks