What's new

I Love Lucy: Possible Paramount DVD release soon? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
From thedigitalbits.com:

We've got word of more TV product coming on DVD later this year. Bits reader John B. send us proof that Columbia House is offering both Babylon 5 and I Love Lucy as TV series that you can collect on DVD through them. Our sources tell us that more Babylon 5 episodes will be released widely in stores on DVD by Warner later this year. They also tell us that Paramount plans to debut I Love Lucy as well (sometime in the summer). More when we have it...
I hope that it's season sets, and I hope that Paramount is going to restore the original film negatives and not just do a video restoration, cleaning up the dirty picture only for DVD and not for long-term storage.

StevenA

Second Unit
I agree with everything you said!! :)
I was tempted to start the Columbia House subsciption but held off, in the hope of better quality and season sets from Paramount (purely wishful thinking at this stage, but you never know!) Oh, and animated titles please!!!

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
Seems I remember Martin Blythe from Paramount commenting just a short while ago that they believed the I LOVE LUCY film material to be in need of restoration and not to look for anything on it from them for a long while.

Regards,

Lee

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've heard from two reliable sources that Lucy will be coming to DVD from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Gord

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I got the very first disc of "I Love Lucy" from Columbia House, took one look at it and cancelled my subscription. They're using old video masters. Granted, they've cleaned them up but there are problems with contrast, fuzzy, shakey, dirty opticals, tinny and muffled sound and strange video artifacting (possible video conversion problems). I'm not forking out $30 per disc for that kind of quality. This is pure price gouging by CH. Perhaps the rumors that Paramount will release the series are true. If so, I'll probably buy the series if the quality is better and believe me, it wouldn't take much.

Jeff

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll say only this....

Hold off joining Columbia House's "I Love

Lucy" club.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Hmmmmm,
Like Jerry Seinfeld confessed, "I've never seen one episode of I Love Lucy".
But if Paramount release a season boxset, I pledge to buy it as a signal to other companies to release old shows on DVD in season sets.
Looks like Ron's got some of that info we'd kill for as usual, whaddya say guys? :D

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I am so glad I won't have to join that Columbia House clubto get these.

I too would be willing(actually prefer) to buy them in season by season box sets.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
To Lee who posted about Martin's statements that it would be some time due to the condition of the elements...

Paramount also said that less than a year ago that they had no plans at the time to release Star Trek:TNG anytime soon as well...what do we have coming...the entire series run coming out starting this summer...with extra features, 5.1 sound...

It could be that this was planned for some time, or it could be that the elements weren't near as bad as they thought. All I know is that I am happy that it is coming and hopefully in season boxes. If any series was worthy of that treatment it would be I LOVE LUCY.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I can tell you that I know for a fact from my video post-production job that Paramount is releasing I Love Lucy chronologically on VHS, starting with the unaired pilot. At least Vols. 1-4 are in the bag, with 4 episodes a piece, all chronological. So, I would assume these will also be released on DVD, though whether in a season box or not, I couldn't say. If I get any more info I will post it here, but until I actually see the Paramount discs for myself, I'm not cancelling my Columbia House subscription, as I've been very happy with it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can only tell you guys not to but the

Columbia House DVDs and you won't have to wait

too much longer to find out why.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Ron,
I know you can't give out too much pre release information from your sacred sources... and we (at least I) appreciate that fact. If my memory serves me correctely though, Paramount was only going to release The Best Of type box set of "I Love Lucy"?
Should we even entertain the thought of cancelling our "every episode" Columbia House subscriptions if the collector is looking for every episode?
Hate to cancel only to find out I shouldn't have.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I am assuming that if we are being told to not do the CH thing, we are getting better than a few "best of" collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks