I look at my mail differently now

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Reuben, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My mail comes from the same post office that services Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat -- the hospital whose employee died yesterday from inhalation anthrax. My postman now delivers the mail wearng a surgical mask and gloves.
    Times are strange.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on November 01, 2001 at 10:26 PM]

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

just got in my mail today the notice from the post office on what to look for and what to do if I suspect something. You think this will cut down on the amount of junk mail we all get?

3. Jamie E

Jamie E Stunt Coordinator

Oh man I can't believe how blown out of proportion this anthrax scare has become. Look guys, three people have died of anthrax, but 20 THOUSAND people died last year of influenza. Yep, the common flu. Heck, 42,000 people died on the highways in the U.S. last year. The only way I'd be even slightly concerned about anthrax is if I worked as a USPS mail sorter in a major hub like N.Y., D.C. or L.A.
    This kind of reminds me of the Tylenol tampering scares of years ago. TONS of press coverage and people living in irrational fear. I'm certainly not going to be terrorized by this.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Release the hounds![​IMG]

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

5. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Ohh no, not the ignoramuses with statistics again! The only difference is, dying in a car is an accident, anthrax is not.

6. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm with you guys. Might as well buy a lottery ticket, your odds are better than worrying about anthrax

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thank you Mike!
    Goddamit, stop quoting numbers, this is different! Plus, unless I am mistaken Michael is from NYC, so am I AND SO IS MY DAUGHTER!!! I take the subway every freaking day! As far as I know, no letters have been sent to Escondido, CA, and none are likely to be sent there!
    No, I am not freaking out, I am not thinking differently mail. But this is not some random occurence, this is not lighning, this is an ATTACK.
    --
    Holadem

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

fuckit. I live in ND. DO the terrorists know we exist up here? the only threat I'm under is nuclear attack (we're the only or one of 2 states with nuke ICBM's)

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I never said I was worried...all I said was I got this postcard from the post office in the mail today. Thats it. I agree that the odds are extremely slim.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Some interesting responses. Consider the following:
    I never said I was scared. (I'm not.)
    I never said I was at risk. (I don't think I am, at least not from anthrax.)
    What I said was that "times are strange" -- which is about the only way I could think to describe the experience of watching my mail delivered by a man wearing a surgical mask and gloves.
    Now maybe it's just me, but it strikes me that anyone who feels the need to respond to that rather low-key comment with a battery of statistics and a loud proclamation that they refuse to be intimidated, probably already is.
    Speaking of statistics: As of September 10, 2001, precisely ZERO people had died as a result of a commercial airliner being deliberately crashed into a tall building. So statistically speaking, the 5000 people who died in New York, D.C. and Pennsylvania had nothing to worry about. But they're still dead.
    M.

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Anyhow, though I've given them plenty of flak in the past, I've definitely developed a new respect for our postal workers. They deserve a pat on the back for the psychological and physical tolls they've been under.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --Mike
    Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

14. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit