What's new

I listen to mostly hip-hop & r & b. Please suggest some speakers to auditon. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Ja

Agent
I currently own paradigm monitor 7 in my set up. They are pretty good for home theater use but they just don't have the impact I am looking for when I play music. What speakers could you guys recommend for a person who enjoys hip-hop and r & b?

Thanks
P.S. Or do I need to add a separate amp to my denon 3802 for that "impact" I'm looking for?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Patrick, what type of impact are you looking for, and what is your budget? If you are simply looking for some more prominent bass, then I would suggest looking to purchase an SVS or something of that elk to seamlessly blend with your Monitor 7's, which are great speakers in their own right. If you are looking for better overall sound (more accurate highs, silky mids and powerful lows) then you could look at some other speakers than the Monitors, but then again what is your pricing bracket. I have heard speakers that do an amazing job on India.Arie and Glenn Lewis without a sub, but then again those speakers retailed for $3500.
If you are looking only for bass slam, and you are happy with the high- and midrange capabilities of the Monitor 7's, then pick up an SVS and use a crossover to send everything above 60 or 80hz to your Monitors and everything below 60 or 80 hz to your sub, then turn it up until you do the disco dump. If this doesn't get you evicted, then nothing else will.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Patrick- I'm not familiar with your receiver but my experience with Paradigms is they don't reach their full potential without a whole lotta power. Can you get an amp on loan to try?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: It shouldn't matter what you listen to; what you need is an accurate speaker, period. A well-designed speaker will sound fine with all genres, though, in your case, you want decent power-handling capability. Remember also that most of the "bass" in popular music is not really bass at all. JB

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Try Klipsch RF-3's, or used Heresys. The Klipsch speakers are more efficient and have a more "crisp" sound than most other speakers (which you may or may not like). You'd probably like their "impact," compared to the Paradigms. The higher efficiency will help get a stronger sound from a receiver's amplifiers, too.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm not familiar with your receiver but my experience with Paradigms is they don't reach their full potential without a whole lotta power. Can you get an amp on loan to try?
The monitor line is fairly efficient... an external amp should not be neccessary.

Patrick,
If you don't have a decent subwoofer (Paradigm PW2200 or equivalent) then that should be your first upgrade. What size is your room and what is in it? (thick carpet? lots of plush furniture?) The objects in and covering a room will drastically affect the sound... you may just need some room adjustments.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
New stuff:
VMPS SuperTower III

Harbeth Monitor 40

PMC MB-1, BB-5

ATC SCM150

TAD 2404

Vintage stuff:
Klipschorns

Klipsch La Scalas

Tannoy Cornerhorns

JBL Hartsfields

Bozak Symphony No.1

Electro-Voive Patricians

Altec Voice of the Theaters

Basically stuff with big drivers and large enclosures can get you big bass and high efficiency doesn't hurt either.

Patrick Ja

Agent
You guys are so knowledgeable. That's why I love this site. I have a hsu vtf-2 and the room is " L " shaped. The main room with the gear is 14 X 17 X 8 connected to an open 9 X 9 X 8 room. Is the sub not powerful enough to really give me the impact I want because I have no problem turning to the new svs sub when it's ready for purchase. Please share some more of your wisdom, so I can plagiarize you all and act like I know what Im talking about, to help me out. :)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Have you ever demoed Klipsch speakers? Absolutely great impact and dynamics which makes them very involving. They have a very distinct sound that you either love or hate so make sure you demo. I think it might be what you're looking for.

If you have more specific Klipsch questions, there is an active forum at Klipsch.com you can visit as well.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I've got a bunch of Klipsch Legends and a 3802. Cranking some old school dance, rap, or hip hop in 7 channel stereo is BETTER than being at a club.

Can't get them new anymore, but plenty of deals pop up on E-bay. That's where I got mine. Try to audition some locally to make sure it's the sound you want. Good luck...Mike

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hey Marcus,

You nailed it. What would sound better on Hip Hop than the Tower IIs. (No sub needed)

I second the VMPS T2s.

I have a pair in my system and they will play loud, deep and accurate. You want impact? How's four 12" woofs and two 12" passive radiators? You want loud? how about 115db?

And as a bonus they are audiophile grade, having been on Stereophiles Recommended list a couple times.

As an Audio/HT consultant I can't think of too many speakers that could outdo this one.

Regards,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks