What's new

I liked Blue Crush, except one thing about this movie disturbed me... (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I may be in the minority on this one, but the movie was borderline overboard with the childrens ages IMO. The main surfer girl, not sure how old IRL she is, but she looked like a 16 year old girl going out with this 20+ year old football player and it did not look right IMO.

Then you have her younger sister who is hanging out at this party with these guys arms wrapped around her like some kind of hoochie mamma.

I dunno, I liked the movie, but that disturbed me a bit...

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
The main thing that disturbed me about this movie was the constant quick cuts of the lead's (Kate Bosworth) head slamming into the rock. I actually had to cover my eyes. Give me Freddy or Jason any day of the week.

I have this same problem with Cast Away...

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I don't know where you grew up, but all the 16-year-old girls in my high school dated college guys. They wouldn't be caught dead being seen with a high schooler.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't know where you grew up, but all the 16-year-old girls in my high school dated college guys. They wouldn't be caught dead being seen with a high schooler.
Agreed. Though I would say a lot, not all, mostly the "popular" girls.

The frustration of watching girls my age in high school jumping in the cars of those older guys is still very fresh - most highschoolers back home do not drive.

It happens all the time.

It isn't the job of a movie to paint an idealistic view of society. I prefer watching what is, rather than what should be.

--
Holadem

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
The frustration of watching girls my age in high school jumping in the cars of those older guys is still very fresh - most highschoolers back home do not drive.
Oh yes, I remember this well and I SWORE I would never be one of those guys.

However, I never ever dated a girl my own age (I did date a few that were older than me, but at least 75% percent were younger). I also made several trips to high school to pick up a girl. I think there are two reasons for this:

1. Girls (especially at high school age) are way more mature than guys.

2. Girls in your grade have grown up with you and are basically still mad at you for putting bugs on them and stuff.

As for Blue Crush I have not seen it yet.

Oh just saw Ken's post - I never picked up 16 year olds the girl I dated in college was a senior and I was a freshmen(as if that makes it any better).

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Then you have her younger sister who is hanging out at this party with these guys arms wrapped around her like some kind of hoochie mamma.
Didn't the older sister object to it and drag her out of there?

And I'm sure it happens all the time in the real world too.

//Ken

John Watson

Screenwriter
when Beach Blanket Bimbo movies are subject to pc reservations, sigh...
I also read that the obvious CGI placement of an actress' head on a real surfer's body was off-putting.
Endless summer with T&A? I think not.
tho I hear the music is good, even without Dick Dale :)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Just watched it last night.
I also read that the obvious CGI placement of an actress' head on a real surfer's body was off-putting.
This was by far the most disturbing thing in the movie. Very fake looking. I thought they should have just gone with the old stand-by of having a double in far shots do all the stunts.

I was actually pretty disapointed that there wasn't more surfing in this film. It's mostly just the various characters crashing. I wanted to see some good surfing, and barely got a taste of it at the end.

I thought all the relationships played pretty well, and is actually the strong point of the film.

Brent_H

Second Unit
CGI and age issues aside, this film was VERY beautifully shot, and VERY beautiful to watch. I thought the story was well written, somewhat cliche but not too bad. We should give credit to the people behind this film for actually getting in the water for 75% of the movie.....They pulled it off whithout a hitch. I felt like I was surfing through the pipe with them......Well, not really, but its the closest I will ever get :)

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Isn't it illegal for College Guys dating girls under
the age of 18? I could be wrong but something just doesnt
seem right here. I also dont think the parents would approve
too of some older guy dating their kid. It sounds kinda
freaky to me to be honest.

-Mike

Brent_H

Second Unit
it isn't illegal to "date" them. sexual relations however, thats a different story. try and prove it tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks