What's new

I know it's only a rumor, but Van Halen with DLR....reformed (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

IMO, I think Genesis will be very Van Halen-esque in terms of the way it's coming full circle. VH had their big Hagar reunion tour in 2004, and now they're touring with Roth. I think same will apply with the Collins-led Genesis this year and maybe seeing Gabriel singing lead in 2-3 more years.

The only thing that irks me is when people act like Genesis without Gabriel isn't Genesis. Okay, maybe it's not everyone's favorite incarnation of the band, but I don't think it's fair to compare the Phil-led years to Van Halen with Cherone considering Phil was the leader for sixteen years and EIGHT albums, all of which sold more in the US than the Gabriel albums. IMO, I think Genesis with Gabriel/Genesis with Collins is comparable to Van Halen with Roth/Van Halen with Hagar or Black Sabbath with Ozzy/Black Sabbath with Dio. Each era has it's fans and either way, a reunion will do fine. While rock snobs may stick up their noses at Abacab or Duke, for a lot of people, that IS Genesis

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I agree 100% with this (of course I am one of the minority who prefers the Hagar over Roth). That said it will be good to have Van Halen back in some form . I just hope it is good enough to get rid of the bad taste that they have left in my mouth after the Cherone travesty. I am sorry Anthony won't be a part of it. I do think Eddie has gone of the deep end a bit. Maybe that will help him get along with Roth.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I wouldn't compare Dio-era Sabbath with Collins-era Genesis. Dio only did a couple of albums with Sabbath (although there was a decent Dio/ Sabbath reunion album years later, Dehumanizer).

One thing to bear in mind was that Phil Collins was a member of Genesis long before Peter Gabriel quit.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
As much of a fan as I am of Roth-led Van Halen (never cared much for the pop sound of Van Hagar), this has train wreck written all over it. It almost seems like a cash-grab tour. I would have much preferred that they had went into the studio, came up with 10-12 new tracks, and then toured. And no matter what anybody says, Michael Anthony's background vocals are an essential part of the Van Halen sound. I'm not sure Wolfgang can fill his shoes.

Still, I'll probably be there when they swing by Atlanta. Nothing better than viewing a good train wreck. :)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

not on this board, but I do remember somewhere else people complaining that the Phil-lead trio version of Genesis getting back together is as pointless and is about as much "Genesis" as VH getting back together with Cherone. I know people have their favorites and the Gabriel era will always have a larger cult following, but I really felt insulted by that because I think it was the "oh, it's the band Phil Collins was in" way is how many Americans, including myself, discovered the band. Peter is a much better solo artist than Phil, and his stuff with Genesis was top-notch as well, but I found it strange that people are so quick to dismiss the 76-92 Genesis and compare it to Van Halen III when "Van Hagar" is a much better comparison

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yea, if they swing by me, I am definately getting tickets. It's too bad that when we finally get Roth, we lose Michael Anthony. I mean, I know Eddie's a dad and he wants little Wolfgang Bertinelli to follow in his footsteps, but perhaps the big reunion tour with Roth isn't the best showcase to do so at.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I have two nice souvenirs from the last tour they did :eek: I bought a pair of tickets and the day of the show got deathly sick (read projectile vomiting) and never went or gave away or sold the tickets. I was sick in more ways than one that night...I would like to see them too but also agree by the time they get my way it may be too late...?

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Eddie is sticking it to Michael for being buds with Sammy, and going out on tour with Sammy for the "Sam and Dave" tour in 2002.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This has been a dream of mine for years, but the fact that they're leaving Michael Anthony out has removed any interest that I had in seeing this show.

That and the fact that DLR & Eddie look like death warmed over. It's a true shame that they didn't do this about 5-10 years ago.

I'll save my reunion money for the Police.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

You'd think he'd stick it to Dave too, if that were the case. ;)

I hear that Wolfgang is very, very good. If he can imitate the Michael Anthony backup vocals (really, how hard is that? :D), then it should be fine.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

It depends on whether he has gone through puberty. Those MA vocals are pretty high. ;)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

When I look at Alex from that photo, I can't help but think of Damone from Fast Times At Ridgemont High. :)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller

When I see the pic I think of all the tail that Wolfgang is going to inherit on the tour. I won't comment on the variety.... or quality... of the tail, just that it will be there in force.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks