What's new

I Know It Was Stupid (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Are you sure they weren't recommending that you scan for stray cats in your walls?
:)
- Steve

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
John, I'm sorry you took offense at some of the possible explanations for the experience of 'paranormal phenomena' in that thread, but as far as I'm aware no-one meant it as an insult, or thought you were in any way stupid. The cat scan stuff was, if anything, more about the sleep paralysis experiences of a couple of the people who posted to the thread - at least some of those who suffer from this have been shown to have problems that an NMRI scan will spot, and can be cured. Others, (like EveT, if memory of the thread serves) show negative for anything life-threatening on a scan, which is a relief.

If anything, Steve's joke about checking for cats is more relevant to your report, as one speculated answer was animal scratching/wailing.

Personally, I was impressed with the quality of the discussion on all sides - I know I learnt a few things, for one.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Doh! Got my threads confused; I got you confused with Scott Hayes' similiarly titled thread here.
Never mind. Anyway, if you followed that thread too then you might understand better where that comment came from. Also, that kind of strange noise has been feline activity in cavity walls more than once before, so its not an _entirely_ silly comment.
(edit) In case I didn't say it enough, sorry. A more cunning person would delete all this; I just thought it demonstrates what being stupid looks like, something you definitely haven't been.

Ike

Screenwriter
That seems like harmless joking. Why are you taking offense at that?

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't upset about the joking. I was irritated about the CAT scan. Suggesting a brain malady is not a joke.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
What are you trying to defend? The point wasn't whether or not you were offended.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
John --

I don't have any opinion on whether the post was offensive, but I do think the best way to deal with a problematic post is by private communication with the moderators. The easiest way is to use the "report this post" button that appears at the top of each post in the thread.

You may not be aware of this, but as the initiator of the thread in question, you're entitled to ask to have it closed. (Again, private communications are likely to be more effective.)

M.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Let me clarify, as this may not be clear. In my culture, suggestions of mental illiness are more offensive than what may be typical in America. The word "crazy" is, in fact, a greater insult than being called, "Son of a Bitch," or whatever.

If you read my post, it's pretty clear that I was feeling frustrated and reaching out. While humour is appreciated, it is embarassing to find a laundry list of sophisms that do not specifically address the insult. What kind of a "pun" is CAT scan? Is this little cleverness supposed to alleviate the stress I feel over my new home?

I don't mind a laugh at my expense. But the CAT scan comment exceeded the boundaries of taste for me. I'd appreciate it if responders to this post understood that.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Michael - Thanks for the tip. :) I composed my response when yours was posted.
Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John,

I've edited the post and Michael gave you some good advice for any future situations. Personally, I didn't find anything wrong with the post and perhaps you need to develop a thicker skin of armor when dealing with other member posts. However, if anybody crosses the line then notify a moderator and they will deal with the situation.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks