What's new

I just saw Shawshank Redemption (1994) for the first time. WOW! (1 Viewer)

Rhonda Lynn

Agent
:emoji_thumbsup: It's one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time. I just love watching it over and over. I think I'm up to 7 times now. Just love Morgan Freeman . .

>'.'

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
This is one fantastic movie. From the cinematography to the narrative, its so well refined to most Hollywood stuff these days.

The film was shot at the old Ohio prison in Mansfield ,OH. I'm from there and at the time I had a couple friends who worked their when it was open. The state even opened it up for tours after the new prison opened in the early 90's if my memory serves me right. Most of the buildings have been torn down, but some of the outer structure remains.

Other movies have been shot there too. Stallone's Lockup and one of the Harrison Ford's Jack Ryan films used it.

I knew it was filmed there but I never saw it in the theaters because the advertisements did not interest me one bit. A friend who worked there always spoke very highly of the film, and I eventually saw it years later not expecting much. Boy was I in for a shock. I normally hate the 'triumph of the human spirit' dramas, but this movie is so well done. I never get tired of watching it.

The whole point of the movie is about hope, and it is summed up in the last few words of Freeman's narration.

Very powerful film.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Umm, The Green Mile wasn't a short story. It was a full-length novel, initially published in six parts over half a year, now available in one volume.
Sorry! I thought I read a caption somewhere that said something like "based on the short story by Stephen King". Maybe I got it mixed up with Shawshank, but either way, it was still another Stephen King story.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Every generation has their favorite in a genre. In the 30's it would have Jimmy Cagne. In the 60's it was Burt Lancaster in The Birdman of Alcatraz, and then my favorite Cool Hand Luke.

The Shawshank Redemption was about hope. How about some of the other themes. Betrayal, abuse of power, exploitation, bonding, perserverencel, etc. What was it exactly that got Timmy boy through the horrific injustice that he faced over and over - Hope? Did he endure because he whistled "When you wish up on a star?" This is a pretty powerful movie. If seems to trivialize it to sum up the message as one of "hope."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks