I just had Sirius installed and I'm confused

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Brian Elwood, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

Why can I get perfect reception in a closed garage OR as I found out this morning, why can I get it in the 2nd story underground parking ramp.

Confused???

2. Robert*S

Robert*S Stunt Coordinator

My guess is that you are not getting the signal from the satellite, you are picking up the signal from a terrestrial (sp?) repeater. Check the signal meter in your unit, and it will tell you whether you are picking up the satellites or a repeater.
    It is not unusual to get a signal in some tunnels and garages. The weirdest place I got a signal was in a tunnel underwater. I also had cell phone coverage in the same tunnel.

3. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

do I have this? is it a common thing in a headunit??

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Makes me wonder if I can install XM in my house without aiming the antenna outside?

5. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Depends on where you live. If there are terrestrial repeaters by you, then you're okay. But if not you'll have to position the antenna so it can "see" the south sky.

They do sell a repeater kit if your XM radio will be in a spot where you can't get a signal.

http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=repeater