I just bought my first HDTV Hitatchi 51S500

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mikey_B, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Mikey_B

Mikey_B Extra

Well after several days of confusion, I finally bought the 51S500 Hitachi with the zero percent interest at Sears. I almost bought the Samsung DLP but I had a hard time justifying the cost.

Does anyone know what size the CRT's are on this beast? I heard they were bigger than most. I had a hard time getting an official number.

The TV is delivered Wednesday so I still have time for final suggestions. If you see it advertised anywhere at a major B&M let me know as well so I can get it price matched!

I hope that I did not waste money on something that is about to be outdated.

Now I have to decide what to do about my DirectTV receiver and if I need an HDTV tuner. I will decide that next week. I've heard DirectTV may decide to lease the HD Recievers soon.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I know that the 73-inch Mitsu uses nine-inch CRTs, but I was under the impression the smaller models use seven-inch CRTs.

3. TaylorSmith

TaylorSmith Auditioning

Nice buy Mikey.

How much did you pay for it at sears?

4. Mikey_B

Mikey_B Extra

I paid 2299.00 for the TV and got a 79.99 rebate on DVD player plus free delivery.

They also sold me a Samsung SIR-T351 for 288.00 which saved me a little ching ching. I tried a bunch of antennas and the Zenith gets all the stations sitting on the table!

I could have actually bought the TV at CC for 2069.00 (2299.00 in the ad last week) but I already have a Sears MasterCard which gave me the 0.00 financing for 12 months with no accrued interest. I wasn't too thrilled about a Circuit City Credit card. I don't think they really help your credit rating as much anyway. Sears would only pricematch the CC ad.