What's new

I just bought my first big screen TV, the Toshiba 51HX83 and I have some questions (1 Viewer)

ChrisDumont

Agent
well this is my first major TV purchase so did I pick out a good TV? I tried to do my research and came to this conclusion, would you guys recommend this TV and do you think its a good one? Also, I bought it at Futureshop (in Canada), and they are saying I should buy the warranty which is $280 for 3 years or $399 for 5. The reason being, is that they say you need to get a technician once a year to realign the guns, which if you did it once a year for 3 years it would be cheaper to get the warranty. Also he said that without the warranty the TV is covered for 1 year, but if you want to get your TV adjusted you would have to ship your TV somewhere instead of a technician coming over to your house :frowning: Is he just full of it, or do I actually have to get the "guns" realigned? If so, can I do it myself or where would I have to get it done? And is it possible to go 2 years without getting the guns realigned? I figured that warranties are just cash in their pocket but with this gun aligning thing I'm not sure if I should skip out on it.

I dont know much about rear-projection TVs but with CRT's they last a LONG time, heck my 27 inch Toshiba is still going after nearly 20 years! So if I dont need to get my guns aligned, what are the chances of the TV crapping out after a few years? And would you recommend I get the warranty?

Hmmm and people that own this TV, do all models of this TV have that white line everyone is talking about? Or is it just a defection for some of them?

Craig

Second Unit
I have a Toshiba TW56X81 (56 inch widescreen HDTV) that I bought in December 1999. I've had no problems with it, the picture is still bright and looks good.

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, they mostly exist to add extra profit for the dealer. You don't need to have the guns aligned by a service tech, you can do that from the remote, it's called convergence. If you want to go farther you can buy AVIA or Video Essentials on DVD and do a lot tweaking yourself. Having said all that, if the price is $399 Canadian for 5 years, that's not too bad as long as it covers all repairs and not just "adjustments" or gun "alignment".

Anyway, you got a good TV. Sit back and enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks