What's new

I just blown up two amps in one week-end (1 Viewer)

Pauli

Grip
I've always thought that Rotel was one of those good high-end brands, and have been dreaming about purchasing some in the future, but this thread has really made me think twice... Rotel isn't to blame for the short in Phills speakers, but they are to blame for not including any kind of protection against it.

Though I feel it for you Phill, I think you made me a favour. Thanks.

PhillJones

Second Unit
Yogi,

It's hard to say for a couple of reasons,

I never heard the Rotel properly on my system. It exploded before I had a chance to audition it. I heard both in the stores but the guy at the Rotel dealership was much better at making his kit sound good: better speakers, turned it up louder, and generally knew how it worked. The tweeter guy could barely make sound come out of the speakers. For example, the first time I listened to it, it took him about ten minutes and a trip out of the room to get the manager to help, to make anything happen. Eventually he put LOTR II on in pro-logic. I had to convince him that it was a good idea to go find a digital inter-connect. I think I landed the new guy or something.

My DVD player hasn't shown up yet so I can't listen to any CDs or DVDs, cable is as good as it gets so far. Next week-end, I should be in a position to give a better opinion but even so, it's hard to really tell without hearing both side by side on my system. I guess I'll never really know, perhaps I don't want to, as I'll only pine for some mythical audio nirvana.

Cheers,
Phill

PhillJones

Second Unit
I finally got a chance to listen properly to the Denon. I watched Underworld, which is a terrible movie but filmed in glorious explodarama.

It seemed fine. There was the issue that we couldn't hear the talking but the neighbours could hear the gunfire but I hadn't turned on any dynamic compression so that problem might be only a setup issue or just the ridiculously over-dynamic mix of the movie. On tuesday my DVD player arrives so more about movies then.

On Saturday i picked up an HK630 on the strict understanding that it's on 30-day home trial. I now have 2 receivers and the looser goes back next week-end. I did some A-B listening with a protable CD player and the HK kicked the Denon round the block. The HK had more detail on thinly textured music while still having more punch and dynamism when needed. The only abberation was when playing 'Mad' by Guy Forsyth, when the HK seemed a little to aggressive and the Denon was a touch more natural. Hoever, that was the first track we tried and so neither the Amps or our ears were warmed up yet. When I put the track back on again at the end of the session, the HK didn't seem quite so overpowering.

Phill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks