What's new

I joined the Denon DVD-1600 club today....... (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I hear ya Keith. Thanks for the correction back there. It does appear that when it pans out, the 1600 obviously delivers despite these shortcomings. Denon's product manager is commonly over at the avs forum, so I probably will be asking him why Denon decided to cut us short with these things on the 1600. Even had Denon included the things we outlined, the 1600 still would not have been competition for its pricer 3800, but would've instead been better competition for other similarly priced units in its 500.00 price range.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I assume you are referring to "Denon Jeff", aka Jeff Talmedge. ;) If you learn anything there about the design of the '1600, let us know. While I love HTF, I have been meaning to get involved on AVS Forum. I should check that site out.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

it's a pretty good site, but like most places, sometimes ones comments can rub a person the wrong way. I recall a few weeks a go that I provided a critique of the RP-82's build quality, and some one took offense to this telling me who cares about a 'pretty box' as long as the picture quality was good. I was clearly praising the RP-82 in this post for the most part, but the fact that I felt that the RP-91 was still overall still a better unit, this more than upset a few members. The RP-82 is the new rage of that board, and it probably should be at its price point, but I'm not gonna tell someone who is buying a Denon 9000 or a Meridan 598 to get a RP-82 instead - as I've seriously seen some people do, as it is obvious that someone interested in these units are looking for a lot more than a RP-82 can deliver, regardless of the rage.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, interesting perspective. HTF is still the most even-keeled audio/home theater web site I've come across.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I have a dvd3300 in my bedroom system and am VERY pleased with it's audio performance...the tv I have there doesn't give me the ability to comment much on it's video quality...
I might be picking up the 1600 to go with a 42" in another room but have also been playing with the dvdc920 from Yamaha that looks very comporable but is a 5 disc...Any comparison comments???

ReggieW

Screenwriter
UPDATE......

I received my 1600 from 6th avenue yesterday and incorporated it into my system a few hours ago. I must say that I am truly impressed. I know that much has been made of this player beginning life as a Panny RP-56, but this thing really shines in all areas. First off, the 1600 is more refined than the RP-56 with a smooth and quiet tray, and a nice aluminum front panel layout. The audio performance is......excellent for a DVD player, in fact, it is at least as good as redbook CD playback on my Sony 222es and a little better than the DAC'S on my Denon 1800 - and this is straight out of the box. DVD-A playback is DRAMATICALLY better than it was on my now out of commission JVC 721BK. Another thing I like about the 1600 is that you can adjust the setup if need be to access any audio/video content that may be stored on the DVD-video layer of the disc. I have two discs which are incapable of accessing the two-channel tracks on the DVD-A layer and will try them out tonight. I thought that SACD had the edge sonically, but now I'm not so sure which format is truly better now that I have an excellent DVD-A player to match the 222es. I must also point out that this model is MADE IN JAPAN, something which the twice as expensive 3800 isn't - surprisingly. I will update this over the weekend with my video impressions, but must say for the record, that Denon as eliminated the so-called flicker bug which plagued the Panny RP-56. Also, there is a 3mb buffer to help eliminate the layer break, again, I will post my impressions once I've watched a film straight through. The video improvements are nominal, unlike the audio, but is definitely welcome. I am happy with this purchase, and feel that since I can't yet take advantage of the 1600's progressive capabilities, the extra money which I would've spent on the 3800's Silicon based pure progressive ability probably would've been wasted at this stage. So far, the 1600 is shaping up to be quite a package for 500.00. Now, I am looking at B&W 602 S3's along with the Axiom M22's as likely speaker upgrades, so this will likely be when the real fun begins.

Reg

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I have just tried out a few Telarc SACD hybrids (Mahler's 5th and the Cincinatti Pops Beatles tribute) in the 1600 and they sound outstanding. The performance of discs were better on the 222es SACD layer, but this wasn't a surprise. However, I would not call the difference dramatic. With all of the reports that many people have had problems getting hybrids to load on their DVD-CD players, I was keeping my fingers crossed on these hybrids, and so far the 1600 has passed playing them with flying colors.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, so how do you like the '1600? :D Seriously though, I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the new toy. Now you are set with both DVD-Audio and SACD. Well done! I told you the '1600 would be much better than your now-defunct 'D721BK on the audio side.
You said:
I must also point out that this model is MADE IN JAPAN, something which the twice as expensive 3800 isn't - surprisingly.
Interesting. I wouldn't read too much into this, but I am surprised nevertheless.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Keith,
I mentioned the made in Japan blurb because many DVD-3800 owners have expressed disappointment that it is made in China considering its price-point. Trust me, it doesn't really matter to me where it's made as long as it performs. I am now looking at new speakers, and as much as I would like to get Paradigm Studio 40's, I sadly think they are a little out of my price range for now.:frowning:
Reg

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've had my Tweeter store order this one for me and I'm glad to read all the good stuff about it. However, the lack of a coax is bothering me. I can't believe I didn't notice it. :angry:
This really blows because I'm already using an optical connection for my satellite box and my receiver only has one optical input. This means I won't be able to watch Jeremiah in surround sound!
I'm now seriously considering changing my mind.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie,

I understand your point about the '3800. It is odd.

Mike,

Unfortunately, you don't have many options for DVD-Audio players at the $500-or-so price point. The Panasonic 'RP91 is another one, but I would expect the '1600 to be the better audio component.

If you can spend a bit more money, consider the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 and the Integra DPS-7.2. Either will run you about $800. Neither may be ideal for you. The '5700 is a carousel changer, and the '7.2 doesn't do progressive-scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks