What's new

I hope Stargate ends with a bang, and soon. (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Does anyone know where I can see a list of which episodes are on the Season 3 Volumes, (as opposed to the Season Set). Only the volumes are available on Blockbuster Online, so I can't get the discs from the Season Set that way and was wondering if all the Season 3 volumes contain all the Season 3 Episodes.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Another question about the DVD's.

Season 1, Disc 3. The Episode titled "The Nox", is on this disc as Episode 12. But according to IMDB, that episode aired earlier as Episode 7. Was this a screw-up or did they intentionally fix an episode airing order problem from the way they were originally aired?

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
John,

GateWorld.net has it listed as episode 107 with an air date of 9/12/97. Looks like it could have been a screw up.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Since I didn't see the original Showtime airings, I don't know the original airdate. I didn't start watching until the show hit syndication.

While IMDB is frequently incorrect, Gateworld.Net also lists "The Nox" as episode 7.

As long as "The Nox" is viewed before "Enigma", I don't think there are any negative consequences.

EDIT: I see Scotty_McW beat me to it.
-Scott

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Thanks for the feedback. I'm fairly new to Stargate. Loved the movie, but never got into the series until last summer. Now I want to go back and see all the earlier seasons. I'm surprised though that among the more experienced gaters, nobody ever noticed this before. I thought it might have been like on Babylon 5, where some episodes were shown out of the "prefered" order, due to production constraints.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The "Nox" episode was certainly a screw-up. Someone said that they were in the syndicated order. Fortunately, that early in the series, it didn't make any difference, but it hasn't happened again.

Glenn

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
It may have been a deliberate decision to include the episodes in the syndication order rather than airdate order - Stargate certainly wouldn't be the first TV DVD set to do this. This was discussed here on the HTF when the first season set was released, but since it's been several years since the first season box set was released, those threads won't turn up in a search.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Thanks all for feedback. Hopefully, it's as Glenn said, and this is the only one in all the season sets to be out of order.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Seasons 2 through 7 are all ok. I check the OAD's against the order that they play on the disks when I get them.

If you get a chance, get the commentaries going. Some of them are really funny!

Glenn

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Glenn, I found a couple more out of sync. On disc 4:

It is in this order:

Cor-Ai
Singularity
Enigma
Tin Man
Solitudes

But Gate World lists it as:

Singularity
Cor-Ai
Enigma
Solitudes
Tin Man

Do you know about these switches? Same as the syndication issue?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Crap I forgot all about those! :) Yeah, two of those were switched too. Really a dumb thing to do. I know I complained here, but I'm sure that it wasn't just me. You could really screw someone's head up. I still don't know why the syndication order was changed in the first place, and then for the disks to be cut that way.

Glenn

Arild

Supporting Actor
Good thing the viewing order on those episodes doesn't really matter. If this had been done in later seasons, there could have easily been some pretty bad continuity frell-ups. Unfortunately, that seems to be happening with the region 2 release of season 8... :frowning:

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I would like to see the series keep going but I am worried about the constant "bigger badder villian" every season recently. Go'auld -> Wraith -> Replicators -> new one. At some point, possibly already passed, it just gets ridiculous that humans could effectively fight such a powerful enemy. I would also like to see them have more collaboration with the Asgard as they so far haven't done a damn thing for Earth.

Is Michael Shanks going to become a full-fledged cast member of SG-1 again with RDA leaving or are they still punishing him for leaving the show? You know you are at the bottom when you are listed "and Michael Shanks as Doctor Daniel Jackson".

Chuck Anstey

Arild

Supporting Actor
Actually, I believe the "and...as" credit is held in higher regard than a simple second-billing like he had before. He's not being punished. :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Glenn, found one other error on Season One.

On disc 2, "Brief Candle" and "Cold Lazarus" are flip-flopped from the correct order, besides having "The Nox" removed from airing in between those episodes.

Since it is easy on DVD's, I'm just gonna watch all of the episodes in the original air date order.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck as Arild says,

The "and as" is a coveted credit not a punishment.

Order of credit ranking roughly goes like this:

1) Before the title (Example: Richard Dean Anderson in Stargate Sg-1)

2) First after the title (Example: Stargate SG-1 starring......Richard Dean Anderson

3) Last billing - (and Richard Dean Anderson as Colonel Jack O'Neill)

A variation of the rule applies for guest starring roles.....big guest stars are shown first or second, but the biggest guest stars on shown last.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I don't see how it is not a "punishment" or at least a lowering of status. In the first 5 seasons the credits went with not showing the character that matches the name: RDA, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge(?). These four had top billing and later we had "and Don S. Davis".

When MS came back in season 7, the names went:
RDA, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, other credits(? I don't have my DVDs handy), and then shows Michael Shanks on screen with "and also...". That is clearly a demotion from top billing to the level of Don S. Davis.

It is too bad RDA is leaving but he definitely hasn't had his heart in it the last few seasons like he did at the beginning.

Chuck Anstey

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

I am not going to argue with you. You can believe whatever you would like. However, There are rules and regulations regarding how title credits can be put together that are governed by SAG, the Screenwriter's Guild, etc.

It is the same reason why the last credit is ALWAYS directed by.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks