What's new

I helped my Best Buy 86 their FS Cats & Dogs DVD's (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I went into Best Buy this afternoon to buy Cats & Dogs WS DVD. All I found was the FULLSCREEN version.
So, I went up to the head DVD dept guy. I asked for a rain check for the WIDESCREEN version. To his surprise, he new nothing about a widescreen version of Cats & Dogs.
He was absolutely pissed(including another Best Buy employee that was over hearing our converstaion) that Warner Brothers didn't release a WIDESCREEN edition at the same time.
I also mentioned to him about Willy Wonka. He again was very pissed. He was VERY glad that I informed him about this!
He thanked me for the info, and told me he was going to send back all of the Cats & Dogs FULLSCREEN inventory in exchange for the WIDESCREEN DVDS.
------------------

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Alright John !
I solute you
patriot.gif

Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I will do the same thing when I go to my Best Buy tonight to score TPM (assuming that the Jedi faithful haven't already cleaned them out!)
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Mark,
Yeah I hope you do. Maybe some others will to!
I just politely asked for a rain check for the widescreen edition, explained the situation, and also explained I'm with a hudge DVD group that petitioned WB about this very subject.
Mark, hopefully your best buy guy will be JUST as understanding.
------------------

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
"He thanked me for the info, and told me he was going to send back all of the Cats & Dogs FULLSCREEN inventory in exchange for the WIDESCREEN DVDS."
Uh, yeah... Right.
Do you really think a peon manager at a Best Buy actually has the power to do this?
Please share what you're smoking.
Daniel L

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Wow, already a troll and there haven't even been ten posts in this thread yet.
John, you couldn't invite me to Best Buy when you did this?
biggrin.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
"I will do the same thing when I go to my Best Buy tonight to score TPM (assuming that the Jedi faithful haven't already cleaned them out!)"
I was at Best Buy this morning in Fairfield, CA and got TPM. The clerks couln't put them on the display fast enough because people were taking them off so fast. I was there at 10:10 and there must have been over 50 copies sold in the 10 minutes that I was there.
I also say only the Full Screen of Cats and Dogs...my kids were mad I didn't buy it but you should have seen the looks on their faces when I explained OAR to them! (They are 5 and 3...it was kind of funny!)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was at Best Buy this morning in Fairfield, CA and got TPM. The clerks couln't put them on the display fast enough because people were taking them off so fast. I was there at 10:10 and there must have been over 50 copies sold in the 10 minutes that I was there.
Wow, it appeared to be the other way around here in Arkansas. From what I saw folks carrying around, the shitty version of Cats & Dogs was outselling TPM at least 2 to 1.
frown.gif
It's a sad day.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivrCasa del Clint

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have a hard time believing that someone at Best Buy would send back an entire lot of DVD's for a widescreen version. He may have said it, but I doubt he would actually DO it! If he did, thats great.
If you are back at that Best Buy in the next week, I bet the Fullscreen versions are still there!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Please pardon my ignorance, but is there going to be a widescreen version of Cats and Dogs? If so, when will it be released?
I can't find any mention of a widescreen version at DVD Empire's site.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Mathew,
You should let me know when you wanna go on Best Buy Excurtions! :)
I go EVERY tuesday afetrnoon(sometimes right at opening!)
As for the non-believers...
The head Video dept guy, told me he was going to make sure there would be WS DVDs of Willy Wonka & Cats & Dogs!
He was pissed when I told him that Willy Wonka was coming out in WS, when he just bought the FULLSCREEN. He was upset that WB had screwed him over like that.
He was going to buy Cats & Dogs untill I told him about the widescreen. Apprently he has a kid, that's why we was wanting to buy stuff even if it was FULLSCREEN.
At least Best buy people are on our side. Suncoast people have been against me(us!)
------------------

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Regardless of what of few people may negatively say about what Bill did, I for one think that it was a great gesture on both parts. Bill for what he did informing the BB guy and the BB guy for at least saying he was going to ship 'em all back. The BB guy could've been lame and just ignored Bill.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 17, 2001 at 12:59 AM]

Chuck Blair

Agent
I was in two stores today. The Best Buy closest to my house also only had the pan and scan version of Cats and Dogs on display. Dave's in Studio City only had the widescreen Cats and Dogs on display. This is why Dave's gets most of my local business. But even Dave's can make mistakes. The previous time I was in there they had a large number of R-rated copies of American Pie for sale at a special discounted price, but I didn't see any copies of the unrated version.

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar conversation at Future Shop today. The manager knew all about the OAR problems and said they were expecting WS Cats & Dogs next week. Which is bull from warner, throwing out the POS version first just to clear their inventory and prey on unsuspecting humanoids. He also knew about WW, and we had a good mutual bashing of Alliance for their botched Croupier release. At least SOME managers know what they're talking about.
------------------
"I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Couple of notes...
Best Buy guys own Suncoast now : )
I'm a retailer who ordered WS of C&D's and they did NOT come in! Some may have them, but there's something strange going on. For all of their boo boo's, Warner is near perfect on shipping before street date...
Any mgr at BBy should be able to get rid of any title through intra-store trade. It's way early for any studio to take back a new release as a return, though ...
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well I tried, but no luck. The guy wouldn't even give me a raincheck for the widescreen version.
angry.gif
So piss on them, I'll buy it online when it comes. (I told the manager that, by the way).
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks