What's new

I have 2000 dollars and am lookin for speakers (I already have a reciever) (1 Viewer)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Aaron,
If you did like the sound of the Klipsch in Best Buy, definitely check out the Reference line. While the RF-7's are gonna be out of your budget, there are other Reference speakers. Klipsch recently released a new set of Reference speakers, in your price range, I'd look into something like RF-35's, RC-35's, and RS-35's. Another option would be to look at the recently replaced models, you might be able to find a good deal on them(RF-3II, RC-3II, and RS-3II), I paid $1300 for this set. Use the Klipsch dealer locator to find them in your area.

For subwoofers, I think SVS offeres the most performance for the money.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Aaron, Klipsch is a very bright sound. BestBuy uses Yamaha recievers with all Klipsch speakers so they will sound a little bit more bright than they should, some people like that though.

You were probably looking at the Synergy SF-2 floorstanding fronts, SC-1 center speakers, and the Klipsch SS-1 rears with the KSW-12 subwoofer.

It is a very nice sounding system and is pretty much top that Bestbuy offers for Klipsch. The Klipsch reference series is also very nice if you like Klipsch sound.

I currently have 5 Klipsch Quintet speakers with a Polk Audio PSW250, I only had about $700 to spend and it was a good price at the time I bought the speakers and sub.

As for sub, Klipsch doesn't make the strongest subs out there and SVS is a much better subwoofer although it will cost a pretty penny it is well worth it.

The Synergy series is good cost/performance and won't let you down though.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Aaron,

Must be nice to be in college and have all these goodies to play with :) I graduated (undergrad) in 95 and think I only had a boombox and vcr with me :frowning: My roommates were into audio back then but I had no interest. One guy had 2 Klipsch towers and the other had some Carver Pre-amp, amp, and CD player. Center channels and subs were not needed back then, since the idea of home theater was just born. Most of the stuff I had needed to be disposable when the school year was out for the summer. The plane tickets from NY to Dallas was enough of a payment. Towing stuff back and forth was not an option for me :) But I digress....

As far as towing the towers back....what Curtis said. I'd like to add that since they're so heavy, you might want to at least keep the styrofoam to protect them during the transport.

As for pictures of the ELT with a regular setup, unless AV123 forum members have posted pics in the galleries section, this is the best one I can come up with:

[ok....I'm not allowed to post links, since I haven't had enough posts under my belt, so someone will have to help me here]

It should be like the 7th picture down. Keep in mind that the display is nowhere near ideal, since it was all setup in Mark Schifter's hotel room at a recent show in Dallas. I have some PSBs for the front and most of my stuff is also black, minus the DVD player and VCR and Bello rack. The PSBs are a slightly darker cherry than the ELTs, but they do fine with the black and silver setup. That touch of cherry/rosewood can be very tasteful. I too had reservations about getting the PSBs in cherry, but decided to take a chance. Email me if you'd like to see a current pic of my setup ([email protected]), since I've no idea how to upload my pic for this thread.

A few thing have changed since that picture (a new center is added, XBOX at bottom of rack, sub is moved toward the back of the room, and wires are better managed and hidden). Sorry for the low quality pic, but I don't have a digital camera, and this one was scanned. The PSBs are not black like they appear.

You might also want to visit the AV123.com's gallery to see differnt pics of Rocket owners. The ELTs are similar in color to the rosewood veneers of their older rocket siblings. First, go to AV123.com then hover the mouse over "Community" at the top of the page, then click on AV123 Forum. Then click on the third link at the top ("Gallery").

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Aaron,

Knowing your situation I also agree with the ELT. I had a pair of Polt RTi 11t towers when in college and they were an absolute nightmare everytime I moved in or out of the dorms. Good party speakers though.

Here's a link to some ELT's from AV123's Dallas show ( http://forum.av123.com/showthread.ph...&highlight=elt ). They're about the only pics of them in a system that I know of yet.

Alex

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron:
Some other thoughts. Based on your $2k budget and needs to satisfy your HT needs and roommates CD music needs, plus size factor for transport....
You may want to consider a B&W setup. 601s3 as fronts ($450/pr), LCR60s3($350) as center and 600s3 ($350/pair) as rears will run around $1150 before usual store discount (~10-15%). You then can choose any sub and have plenty of cash left over for cables and stands (if you want stands.)

IMHO this will be of better quality than any Klipsh setup in its similar price. The Klipsh will be "louder" since they have a high sensitivity (thus may be better for college parties), but the B$W will sound a lot better and clearer. Once again, IMHO, your opinion may be different.

The other option, as mentioned above, is Paradigm. The monitor 5 could be the mains, with any lesser speaker as rears. Or, if you wanted the reference line, the studio 20s (700/pr) would be the mains. This setup, with any sub will also run 1500'ish and IMHO would outperform the Klipsh in the similar pricerange (except for "loudness")

*Luke*

Agent
The ProMonitor 100's / ProSub 100 / ProCenter 100 from Definitive Technologies can be had for about $1350...the 200 series for $1750 (175w vs. 200w)Remember though you'll have more in cables and connectors, probably more than what you think, plus monitor stands unless mounting to the wall,plus sales tax. The reviews are great and so is the performance. Avail in BL or WH. Or go with the 100 series and you have enough $ to go 6.1 or 7.1!

*THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks