What's new

I hate people calling in at dinner time... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Especially when they have the wrong number dialed... :)
Usually I'm nice to these folks, but I was a bit louder on the phone than I intended to be this time around....
Case in point,
I'm eating dinner for starters, finishing up some French Fries while watching a newly purchased DVD. As I'm doing this, I'm trying to fend off the dog who is just waiting to pounce and have my guard be let down. On top of this, I was duping something to home made DVD upstairs, and trying to keep track of the time(I.E. When to stop recording the video)...
Poor guy on the other end was probably wondering what got me irritated to begin with :).

Julie K

Screenwriter
Answering machines are your friend.

Really, I've never understand this need to answer every phone call no matter how inconvienent. Say "no" to that intrusive monster on the wall and let a machine deal with unwanted callers.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>Answering machines are your friend. >

Heh, we have one of those digital answering machines not located at the house, and sadly it's only connected to the bottom line. Only reason I answered, is because I thought it was my parents calling in. They know I don't answer the bottom line, so they just call the top line and let it keep on ringing untill I pick up.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I always get calls where people can't pronounce my name right - I had one guy just give up and hang up while he tried to pronounce my name.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Answering machines are your friend.
Really, I've never understand this need to answer every phone call no matter how inconvienent. Say "no" to that intrusive monster on the wall and let a machine deal with unwanted callers.
:emoji_thumbsup:
I never understood that either. I never pick up my phone unless the caller speaks on the machine. All my friends know that, and my machine is full of "Holadem! I know you are there, pick up godammit!!!". If I am watching a TV show or a good movie I am not willing to pause, fuck'em... Which reminds me, I gotta call AT&T to active caller ID, I have it on my new phone ;)
My ex used to run for every friggin call on cell her phone. Even if she wasn't picking up, she had to see who was calling :rolleyes
--
Holadem

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I'm glad I have caller-ID, so I can see who's calling, but seems like too many people have their numbers blocked (Mine it blocked too, so I guess i'm at fault). It's tempting to activate the service that makes them remove the block temporarly before they call. Then again I've seen people who havd their ID as "no name" :rolleyes

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also don't pick up the phone as much as I did before. I'm content to let the answering machine pick it up, and I'll return the call at my leisure.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Answering Machines: How do they work?

Hi guys,

Do some/all of you have answering machines that play the message out loud as the caller is leaving it? I thought that was something only in movies, since I've never actually seen it take place. I subscribe to Bell CallAnswer service, which is a monthly service that acts as a digital mailbox. It seems dumb to pay for this service every month (about $7) but one thing I really like is that it takes a message when you're on the phone, rather than just leaving the person with a busy signal.

The point I'm trying to make is this: What kind of answering machines allow you to hear the message, and if desired, intercept the call? I'd like to get one!

Bob

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What kind of answering machines allow you to hear the message, and if desired, intercept the call? I'd like to get one!
They all do that, the only exception being the "voice mail" service offered by the phone co. The machine is plugged into your line, and it answers the phone, plays a greeting, then records the message. As it's recording you can hear it over the speaker. At any time you can pick up the phone and talk to the caller (assuming they haven't hung up yet).

KJP

Louis Stettiner

Stunt Coordinator
All of my friends now if they call me they call me on my cell First and if I am home they call me there. So when the phone at my house rings I Answer it as the Guy from Movie Phone or as if they Just called a Pizza Place

" Yeah Tony's You want pick up or delivery?"...........CLICK

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Do some/all of you have answering machines that play the message out loud as the caller is leaving it? I thought that was something only in movies, since I've never actually seen it take place.
:eek:
Every single answer machine I have seen acts this way! Well, save perhaps some old analog ones.
About the voicemail thing, why pay $7 a month when you can get an answer machine for $30? I would trade the recording with a busy line with the ability to hear the caller anyday.
--
Holadem

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
My phone allows me to leave a specialized greeting to up to nine different predetermined numbers (e.g., "Hi Mom, we can't take your call right now...") and also to any blocked or private caller. The message I created for blocked callers is something to the effect of, "I do not answer blocked calls..."

Another good product is the Telezapper, found at Radio Shack. It emits a beep that makes telemarketers think your phone has been disconnected. After several weeks of having it, the number of calls I receive from solicitors dropped dramatically.

It is kind of ridiculous -- I've spent $300 on the fancy phone/answering machine, $50 for the Telezapper, and $8 per month for Caller ID -- mostly to avoid unwanted calls. (And it would be even more to have my phone number unlisted!)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I also NEVER pick up the phone. A screener am I. If I am eating, watching a movie, or just dont want to talk, I don't go pick up the phone. :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>
I also NEVER pick up the phone. A screener am I. If I am eating, watching a movie, or just dont want to talk, I don't go pick up the phone. :)
>
Can't remember if I put this in an earlier note, but just to clarify...
As someone else stated, we have a digital answering service provided by the phone company that's only connected to the bottom line.
The middle line was the one that called, and therefore was ringing for about two minutes before I decided to pick the thing up. I always let the bottom line with the answering machine get the call, but for the top line I'm out of luck. I either have to answer it, or put up with a few minutes of rinning.
It was even worse when someone with a fax machine was calling our top line and would ring for four minutes on end, pick up, hang up, it'd ring again. I finally had to do X69, call my father at the office, tell him to fax a note to the guy at that number, and fill him in on his mistake...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks