What's new

I HATE buying a house (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
townhouses in my market are terrible, I regret ever buying one. 99% of the cost of a house and all of the headaches of apartment living. :frowning:

other than taking forever, building a cookie cutter house has been pretty darn painless.

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
Garrett, there are other areas of craftmanship an older house will give you that you won't find in a new house. Hand carved moldings and interior doors that actually block sound. I live in an old Georgian house that was converted into 4 condos. My unit happens to have the original formal living room (whatever they called it back then). Try finding 12"-18" wide 20' long runs of heart pine. No doubt anything can be duplicated now, but in my mind I know my house has stood for nearly 250 years and I don't have to worry about settling issues or durability of materials or cut corners.

E

Eric Kahn

you will lose all of your windows and your roof

my house is 84 years old, the joys of repairing plaster are boundless:D

my house is well built, but had no insulation and is a frame house with transite panels for siding, typical working class shotgun house for the time it was built

Code violations are a strange issue, is it the current code they violate or the code that was in effect when the house was built, houses do not have to be retrofitted to current code unless they are being remodeled, then only the part being remodeled has to meet current code.

Knob and Tube wiring meets no current code but if your house has had it since built it is legal (although dangerous)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Some of the buildings in my apartment complex are being converted to condos. So, I decided to check it out as I've been a renter all my life and figured it was time, especially after having to pay over $1.5K to the IRS earlier this month.

Its insane. None of the units are fully rebuilt. I told the developers agent that I'd like to see a spec'd out unit but he told me that they won't be finished until a few weeks by which he expects all the good ones will be sold out. In this market I've seen sell outs when the development is just a hole in the ground. How can people make such a decision to spend $300K plus based on a floor plan and location unless one is only investing? Its one thing to speculate on the future value of a property but to have to speculate whether one will like it adds a new dimension.

I can see why it's stressful. The last few weeks just gathering information was a pain. At least I know what I can afford, which means I can do a proper search.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
I am a Real Estate Agent in Georgia and I have not read all the responses but in this state if seller fails to respond to the inspection contingency within the time specified then the deal is off and your earnest money is refunded ASAP.

Read your contract.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks