I had a cool experience yesterday.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Jul 12, 2010.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I went to clean off the cover to my pool, and I came across a deer and her two babies grazing on the grass near the cover. I scared her, because she started snorting and grunting at me. I left, so they all could run away.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

There's a definite divide between people who rarely get to see deer and people who can't get rid of deer. This video sums up my feelings about deer:

They're beautiful, majestic creatures -- that crap all over your woods, eat all your bushes, flowers and plants, and generally present a giant nuisance. Only thing worse is Canadian Geese, because they'll crap all over your lawn, and they're mean instead of skittish.

The coolest nature experience I ever had was startling a whole flock of turkeys nesting in some trees. They're such an awkward shaped, heavy looking bird that you wouldn't think they could fly until you see them do it.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yea, I know there's an over population of deer in a lot of places in the country, and they're a pain to people. I don't see them too often here, especially since the town I live in has grown a lot in the past 20 years.

I used to see pheasants, raccoons, and opossums, but don't anymore. There are some foxes, wild rabbits, woodchucks, and at least one beaver in my yard/neighborhood. There's a brook/swamp behind the neighborhood, so I think that's what attracts the deer and other animals.

4. Adam Lenhardt

That tracks well with my experience here in upstate New York as well. Pheasants used to be VERY common, but as the farm fields reverted to forests and then got bulldozed for new developments they seemed to disappear. Raccoons used to be a regular guest at our birdfeeders during the winter, but you hardly ever see them now. Possums are slightly more common, but again not as much as before. Foxes are still scarce, but no more so than before. We've had an explosion of rabbits in recent years, along with more frequent sightings of the woodchucks and the beavers.

Reading my first post, I sound like a bit of a douche, so I just want to let you know that I wasn't trying to shit on your nature experience -- just remark on how familiarity can breed contempt.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

This reminds me of a couple of funny incidents regarding our neighbor.

(1) She called my wife after seeing some animal (probably a ground hog) crawl underneath our deck. She wanted to let us know that some big animal -- "probably a wolverine or armadillo" -- was under our deck. I told her I was okay with a Wolverine, but if it was a Sparty or Buckeye, I was getting out the gun.

Obviously our neighbor is a city gal who hasn't much experience around wildlife.

We have lots of rabbits, ground hogs (or woodchucks, if you prefer), raccoons (nasty animals), possum, and the occasional skunks, fox and deer in the area. We also used to a get a mallard duck couple that would annually nest in our shrub bed, but I did not see them around this spring.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I didn't take offense, I understand how animals can become nuisance. I've had problems with feral cats and deer mice myself.

It's just nice seeing animals starting to come back. For a long time it was mainly birds, squirrels, and occasionally chipmunks.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

8. Adam Lenhardt

Just because we're pots doesn't mean we can't call the kettles black, Cees.

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

We have a feral cat that dug a shelter for itself underneath our cement driveway. It dug in from the side, so the cement is the roof for the cat. I put down huge concrete bricks to block the "cave" entrance... and it simply dug underneath those. Called the rental agency so they could fill up the underground dwelling with cement, and they just slapped some cement at the entrance, which the cat simply dug around again.

It may still be living there. Could be worse, could be a skunk. It might only live there when it rains, we're not sure. Or it might be a timeshare.

10. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Someone sent me a video of a deer protecting its fawn by attacking this poor dog that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Horrifying to see.

Found the vid on youtube HERE.

WARNING: It's a tough watch even though I read the dog was treated for injuries. Perhaps worse than the vid is the a-holes leaving stupid comments on it. Blame the owner of the pets not the deer.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    As an avid hiker/mountaineer, I get to see a lot of wildlife, everything from grizzlies to Porcupines.

I had a couple of incidents this weekend, I spooked a coyote on the way up Goose Eye in the Mahoosucs in the White Mountains of NH. It took off and started yelping, but I didn't get a visual. Then a few days later while climbing Carter Dome, there was a fat porcupine just waddling its way down the trail to me. Narrow trail, so I just kind of turned sideways and it walked right by me, without even a hello.. It actually rubbed a bit on my right leg and I got a picture of it... the fearless porky.

Lots of deer encounter, too numerous to mention, moose, spruce grouse, rattlers, marmots, field mice, you name it.

jay

12. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Grizzlies on the East Coast????

Porcupines never seem to be bothered by much. Those quills are quite a deterrent.

Between all my years wandering around the back woods in northern Michigan, and our numerous trips west, I've encountered just about every large mammal on the continent -- with the exception of polar bears, cougars and panthers. One of these days I want to make a trip to Churchill, Manitoba to see the polar bears.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ahh, not the east coast but I do travel ya know....

haven't ran into a panther or polar bear either... or wooly mammoth yet.

14. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Most of the time I've only ever seen armadillos in roadkill form. Sad, really. But I've seen living ones about twice. once, my old irish setter Brandy was inspecting it at length. He just didn't know what to make of that thing. Pretty funny. They are very interesting little critters, so it's a real shame they get hit.

Me and my old dog Goldie found a dead fawn on the side of a busy road. It looked like it was sleeping, with only a little blood coming out of its nose. Goldie was very excited and I could tell she was thinking it was going to wake up and start running. But I put it in nearby woods and covered with pine straw. A sad sight. But Goldie's reaction to it was priceless. Anyway, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw that deer vid I posted. otherwise, the encounters with deer are always gasp inducing.

15. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

To go along with seeing the deer, I had the unpleasant experience of pulling a dead baby skunk out of my pool this morning. I felt bad for it, but the smell was worse than when they get hit by a car. Yea the pool is fenced in, but it still managed to get in the pool area.

16. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

I figured you saw the grizzlies while traveling... hence, the smiley face.

While you jest about the woolly mammoth, it did remind me that I've never seen a mux ox in the wild... add that to my "bucket list" above. On our single trip to Alaska the only unique wildlife we encountered that we have not seen elsewhere were caribou and orca whales.

Stephen, it's never fun to find a skunk anywhere, let alone your pool. I think the sight of a skunk scares me more than seeing a bear in the wild. Just the thought of getting sprayed scares the crap out of me.

17. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Now there's a female turkey that's been hanging around my yard over the past few weeks. I've never seen a wild turkey around here before, so I thought it could've escaped from the turkey farm that's about five miles away. There are wild turkeys as well in New Hampshire, so it could be a wild one too.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a pair of wild turkeys in my yard. First saw them a few days ago, just one, then the other day i noticed another one and a little guy... Just foraging for wild berries and stuff in the tall grasslands for sure... The main dude is pretty big, just in time.... ;) jay