I Guess I Need to Get Rid of my SLR...

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Julie K, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

if I want to be a "fun, fearless female"...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04072108benqdce40.asp

Oh my, I just can't be fun and fearless playing with my new Canon 70-300 DO with its lovely green ring, now can I?

[​IMG]

Seriously, while there may be a market for a "fun" point and shoot camera, this sort of condescension is puke-inducing. Market the camera's features (or lack thereof [​IMG] ) to everyone - it's not like you need various bits of male anatomy to use a more complex camera.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Julie,

You're forgetting about the unfunny, fearful brain-parts of the human male. Apparently. And "he" is not 'intuitive'.

Come to think of it, it's actually insulting to both sexes. [​IMG]

Cees

3. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

How do you like the 70-300 DO so far? I got to play use a friend of mine's last month for a while (on his 1D MkII no less - I really hate him some times [​IMG] ). I was pretty impressed with it. I've read lots of gripes about it not being "L" quality, but I thought it was superb.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I don't understand those gripes. The 70-300 DO isn't an L lens (although it can come pretty close) and people complaining about its non-L status are missing the point, IMO. I really like its small size and unobtrusive presence. I've been very pleased with this lens and I think it's going to be on my 10D a lot of the time - much more than a big old white lens would be (although I certainly wouldn't kick one of those big old white lenses out my door...)

But wait, can I be fun and fearless with it? That's the real question, I suppose.

5. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Wow! The BenQ camera has VOP (Voice Over Photo).

So if you take a picture of a birthday cake you can dictate the recipe with the photo!

6. andrew markworthy

Julie, if it's any consolation, this sort of advert annoys a lot of men as well.

What I find fascinating is why the advertisers assume that such a camera won't appeal to a lot of men as well. Not every male is technology-obsessed, for goodness' sake. I think the camera looks quite neat for a reasonably up-market 'happy snap' camera (and let's face it, a lot of time even if you're a 'serious' photographer, when you're on vacation/at a social gathering that's all you want or can carry). However, the advertisers seem to want to create an image that you're Barbie if you buy it. Thus at a stroke not only do they alienate female customers, but male ones as well.

7. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Gee, you can match the female camera with the Lady Smith & Wesson.[​IMG]

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

But you can save a few bucks on a monopod...

This ad is just plain lame. Fun and fearless is lying in the mud on the back side of a motocross jump with your $9000 L lens, dodging debris hwile trying for that perfect "rider over your head" shot. Using a dinky little red camera isn't fearless at all.

9. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I would have thought that would hurt a bit...

10. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

No thanks. This is what happens to your photos if you're careless enough to store them on the floor in a room full of toddlers and crayons.

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Go for it Julie! I'll buy your camera and lens to cover the cost of that hot puppy of a Benq digicam...it's $400 MSRP right?

[​IMG]