What's new

I got schmucked by an old lady doing 80! (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
That's 80 Kph...

Madison (my 1 year old daughter), myself, and Nova the family wonder-dog were in a really terrible car accident on Sunday. A 79 year old woman ran a red light and totalled our Focus wagon. It wasn't one of those "yellow changing to red" situations, it was a clear red light. Luckily we were able to walk away from the accident with some bumps and scrapes but the car is a write-off! The entire front end of the car is gone. The Firemen on the scene couldn't believe that we were able to walk away from the crash unscathed. Madison was a little shaken up but just fine nonetheless. I had a bit of trouble getting my door open but it didn't take much when I heard my daughter crying.

It happened at a busy intersection and we were both going about 80 Kph. (The posted speed limit)
I was heading to my Sister's place and the elderly woman was heading to church. Apparently she was late...
She ended up in the ditch and was brought to the hospital. Aside from a sore chest (from the air bag hitting her) she will be just fine.
The Police charged her with running a red light.

Hopefully they'll take away her license and she won't be on the road again...

P.S. Nova "the wonder dog" walked away with a bloody nose. Luckily we had him caged in at the back of the wagon. He weighs over 46 KG's. (over 100 lbs)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Glad you are OK.

Any nightmares? I think about how short life really is, now that I'm a dad.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Very glad to hear you are all OK.

Even though you were able to walk away signs and symptoms most of the time will not show up until days later. Get yourself and your little one to the doctor.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
.....damn metric system...80 kph...46kg..I...that..w..would be...equal..t...to..5...7...umm...baaaah...;)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Glad to hear everyone is all right, including Nova. :)

Curious as to why you think the LOL shouldn't be allowed to drive again. Because she ran a red light? Because she hit another car? If these are the only reasons, then 99.9% of the North American population will be walking, or driving without a license.

Because she's OLD?
Unless you can establish that her judgement or vision is impaired to a significant degree, then I suggest a rethink of the automatic "You're old, no driving for you" proclamation. DUI is one thing, getting old is another.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Im leaning towards Michaels side on this one.

The elderly need to be retested at random. I have found more of them to be a saftey hazard than not on the road. Driving too slow, almost hitting me cause they dont see me; etc. If a senior individual can prove their reflexes and health arent an issue and they can pass a driving test; I have no problem with them on the road, but otherwise I do.

Oh and belive me I have issues with other drivers as well but thats another thread.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
All hail safety cages! And, who says you need a giant SUV to be properly protected in a crash?:emoji_thumbsup:

Glad to hear everyone made it out OK.

And, I agree with some of the sentiment of Julian- she ought to be judged on her ability, not her age.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Exactly!

Julian,
Over here we don't start road testing the elderly until they hit 80 years old. I think that is far too late.
They make you retire at 65... why not start testing you then?

P.S. I'm not sure if you got it... she didn't run a red light... she ignored the red light. It wasn't just turning red.... it was red for quite some time. She also stated that she didn't even see my car but knew that she was going through a red light. :rolleyes:

I don't have anything against old people, just the one's that try to kill me and my family. ;)
One more note... it's a fact that eyesight and reflexes start to go long before 80 years of age. I think that it's time that we started testing a little earlier. Don't you?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It’s the little old lady from pasadena
Go granny, go granny, go granny go
Got a pretty little flower bed of white gardenias
But parked in her rickety old garage
Is a brand new shiny red super-stock dodge

And everybody’s saying there’s nobody meaner
Than the little old lady from pasadena
She drives real fast and she drives real hard
She’s a terror out on colorado boulevard

You can see her on the street just gettin’ her kicks now
With her four speed stick and her four-twenty-six now
She’s gonna get a ticket now sooner or later
’cause she can’t keep her foot off the accelerator

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I hope Micheal doesn't mind...from his thread title, I expected this thread to be about him getting dusted street racing by a little old lady.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
:laugh:
I wish! It would have been better than the reality of what happened...

For what it's worth... I think she was going faster than me. ;)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Am I the only one who thought of Office Space when Peter is stuck in traffic and the old lady with the walker was moving faster than him?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm a fan of random retesting for everyone, not just the elderly. I realize that certain physical facilities of the elderly deteriorate faster than they expect, but c'mon. There are tons of bad drivers out there on the road that I'm sure wouldn't pass a driving exam today.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I thought that it was appropriate. :D

Don, I agree 100%. I just want to point out that this lady didn't even see us! She even said so herself. She also admitted to police that she knew that she was going through a red light. I don't care how old she is... she could have killed my daughter! I want her off the road until she can be properly tested.

Yes, her age is swaying me a bit. Forgive me but I'm still a little pissed!:angry:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You have every right to be. Hug that kid (and the wife and dog if you must..;) ) every chance you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks