I Got a Job

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHD, Oct 26, 2001.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

After being laid off at the beginning of September, I have been on the job hunt. I have been working as a temp for the last month but I finally got hired. Granted it's a $4200/yr pay cut, but with the way things are right now I feel lucky. It's better than what I get paid temping and it has GOOD benefits. Just wanted to share the news with someone other than my fiance and family. I know a lot of folks on the board are laid off right now, but don't give up. Keep plugging. Two of the 3 places I temped at wanted to keep me, including they place that hired me. Obviously I recommend temping and be really nice and helpful. Good luck.
    ------------------
    Have good mosh-pitting!!

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Excellent news. I would love to be able to get a job at only 4200 a year pay cut. [​IMG] I hope you enjoy it.
    Kevin C.

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Congratulations, Jackson! [​IMG]
    I was laid off back in August and I considered temping, but I didn't. I just keep thinking of the movie Clockwatchers. I guess doing temporary assignments can have an upside too.
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Congrats on the new job. Now go out and help the economy and buy yourself a dvd today.
    ------------------
    Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
    [​IMG] 3EMS Hometheater

5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Congrats Jackson on the job!
    Yes, temping is good for a few reasons.
    1. you can feel out the place.
    2. you really do not work for the company itself but rather for the agency that sent you, so I always look at it as more freedom.
    3. if you like the place and you bust your chops as a temp the chances are good you're going to get hired.
    A friend of mine has been at a company as a temp for 7-8 months now. He busts his balls and he still has a job, while his co-workers which were full time were laid off.

6. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Congrats on the new job Jackson! It's great to hear of someone acquiring, rather than losing, a job. I really hope you enjoy it. The small paycut you're taking may not really be so bad - if you like your job and do well, you could make that up quickly.
    All the best!
    ------------------
    Scott

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

---A friend of mine has been at a company as a temp for 7-8 months now. He busts his balls and he still has a job, while his co-workers which were full time were laid off.----
    Something tells me busting his balls has nothing to do with it. Most likely he was working "cheaper" than his co-workers, therefore they were laid off. If management can ever get anyone to work "cheaper" than he does....he's gone.