What's new

I found some really cheap "Hippie" music...................... (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
.........for only $9.99 at Barnes & Noble last night.

It goes along (it's sold separately though) with a book of the same name that has a lot of great photographs. The CD is packaged in a thin digipak, to save money I guess.

I wanted to buy this but first wanted to see if anyone here thought these songs were worth owning.

Here's what Allmusic had to say about Hippie: Music from the '60s Generation

BTW: this has absolutely nothing to do with this post but just wanted to mention how cool Allmusic's moving 3-D music genre selection thingy was (top of their page).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lance, that was all popular stuff but its more of the main-er-stream. It's the short In-Auh-Gawd-Da-Vida not the whole vinyl side thang. Hmnn, no Hendrix, no It's A beautiful Day...White Bird, no Asylum Chior, no Richie Havens, no Ten Years After, no Sly & the Family Stone, no David Peel, no Blues Project, no James Taylor...his Apple album was a hippie fav, no Melaine, no Joni Mitchell, no Moby Grape, no Byrds, no Donovan, no The Move...I Can Hear The Grass Grow, no Thunderclap Newman....Something In The Air, no Doors, no CCR, no Savoy Brown, no Moody Blues, no Janis Joplin, no Zombies, no Who, or Sugarloaf.

It's a start for some psycedelic era music though. It'd be more authenic if they gave earlier Dead cuts, IMO.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Lance, some pretty light stuff.

The large coffee table book of the same name does have has some pretty cool photography and Barnes and Noble is blowing it out cheap, like 20-25% off of an already low 24.95.

There are better compilations out there if you're looking to get into the era. If you just have a bit of curiosity then sure there are a few good tunes. Both the book and the cd have a definite "corporate" feel to it.

With psychedelic music, it is a better experience to listen to albums in their entirety, rather than songs out of context.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Rachael: you blew my dream of good & cheap "tune in/turn on" music! :D (or was that turn on/tune out? I was born in '65 so I'm a little fuzzy on that kind of stuff :) ). I vaguely recognized most of the titles as radio-friendly so I had a feeling this might be kind of on the "lite" side for true hippie music.

I had seen that book weeks ago, so when I saw this CD this same thought entered my mind. But the price is what prompted me to ask about it.

I think I will take y'alls advice and just buy the complete albums because a lot of 60s material definitely does seem to be album-oriented. Ever since I got Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow a year ago I've been wanting to check out more of this era's music.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
LanceJ, there is a thread right below this one that has some fantastic recommendations(Jefferson Airplane dvd). Go on in and ask. Lance, I'm right about your age(odd bracket huh?) and there are some slightly older cats around here who will gladly school ya.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey anything with Arlo is ok by me. I saw so many concerts with Arlo that Pete Seger convinced me to join the Young Commies of America (formerly the Young Republicans)
Dammit is that homeland security knocking at my door again. Try the Troggs....Reg Presley is so cool

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice everyone. I almost didn't want to ask about this, as I am trying out lots of new music right now & my wallet tells me I really shouldn't be trying out the classic stuff too (though this is made easier by the fact that I did buy a new turntable last year because lots of people are selling lots of old vinyl SO cheaply).

BTW: this is kind of off-topic but I saw Parliament's Mothership Connection at Best Buy for only ten bucks. The Beasties mention this album & the samples I've heard do sound pretty cool.........I think I see another thread in my future.........

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I was born in 1964, and I've been listening to "hippie music" all my life. The hippie compilation is fine as a primer, but I would recommend the Deluxe version of the Easy Rider soundtrack or the Woodstock or Monterey Pop box sets if you want to spend a little more.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sorry Lance! ...for blowing it for ya.;) Grant just reminded me of how much I used to listen to Arlo Guthrie. Zen, I have that Nuggets set but I have it on vinyl. I have lots of the era's other nuggets on vinyl too.
Lance, here's some vinyl to look for:

anything by the T-Bones...mostly they did covers but they did them really well and did write a few songs. Many of their covers are better than the originals. I like their Paint It Black more than the Stones'.

anything by the Markett's... I have their Batman Theme album which is hard to find and very nostalgic

The Ventures, although more of their albums are on CD than many from the era...

Firesign Theatre, most of their stuff has never seen CD.... I love putting clips of them between songs on my recordings. Before massive numbers of TV stations to watch, sitting around "watching" a Firesign Theatre record was big fun.

Stan Freeberg made really funny parody records that lampooned American history. I don't know if they're on CD...?

I have a record of Spiro Agnew speaches called Spiro Speaks Out. It could almost pass for a parody! It was made just before he got in trouble. The man must of spent much time going through the dictionary looking for old or seldom used words to use. The rhetoric is very telling of the period and often funny in a way...

A Child's Garden Of Grass came out on CD. The vinyl has a beautiful glossy cover and is fun to have.

...that's about all I can think of at the moment. I'm obviously overlooking much. If went down and strolled throgh the vinyl, I could come back with more. There are so many 60's & 70's albums that have never jumped to CD. :)

Other groups worth seeking out: Young Rascals, Juicy Lucy, Blue Cheer, Marc Benno, McKendree Spring, Cowboy, David Blue, Otis Rush, Tom Rush, Arthur Conley, Melanie, Love ....damn! I'm stille only scratching the surface a bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks