What's new

I found a site that rates commentaries - can you help update it? (1 Viewer)

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I find that one of the best things about this hobby of ours is listening to great commentaries - lots of insight into the making and personalities of films that we admire.

I find that one of the worst things about this hobby of ours is listening to useless commentaries - droning, uncommunicative, commentaries where the people tell us what we are watching, say exactly the same things as on the documentary on the dvd etc. And when the commentary is over - you want the last 2 hours of your life back!

I found this site (I'm just a dvd fan I have no link with the site) and it rates commentaries and lets you add reviews. I have over 300 dvds and I have only listening to maybe 10 per cent of the commentaries on them! I can't listen to them all so I only want to listen to the good ones.

I notice the site is pretty new and could do with some updating. I have just added a few reviews of my own. If you can spare the time can you update the site with reviews and rating of the commentaries you have listened to. Its important to rate the rubbish commentaries as well as the best ones to help other dvd fans be more discerning on which commenaries they listen to.

Thanks!

http://www.ratethatcommentary.com/index.php

RyanAn

Screenwriter
What a wonderful idea! I love commentaries.

Good:

Simpsons
Futurama
Family Guy
Idle Hands

BAD:

Some of the Beastie Boys Criterion Collection

Ryan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely do this when I get a chance. I've often thought that a site devoted to reviewing auto commentaries would be a really great thing to have around.

Herschel

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I know that Alistair's the second person to mention my web site on here in the past week, but really, I'm not paying them anything.. :)

Many thanks to all the people that stopped by and added votes and/or reviews to the site. The top 20 is in much better shape now than it was a week ago (much less random, IMHO).

MeghanA

Grip
Very handy site. Certainly one I'll be coming back to often. I even found a few movies I own that I had forgotten had commentaries waiting to be watched.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Hey, thanks much for this posting, I'd have never known about the site otherwise, it's a great one too!

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Gladiator only has four votes. That's why the site needs more visitors adding their input. If the site catches on, it should have much more interesting results. But at this time, there's just not enough data to produce any meaningful results.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Shane, I'm glad you mentioned Ten Commandments. One of my favorites. Just the right balance of film history, behind the scene stories and technical info. Her voice was very nice to listen to. Some others:

LOTR films
Field of Dreams
Star Wars 1,2
Anne of Green Gables
Toy Story 1,2
White Christmas

Worst:
North By NorthWest
How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Note: Frankenstein, even though it's not the worst, I was disappointed because the guy talked way too fast and crammed in too much info. I like my commentaries moderately paced with just the right balance of film history, stories and technical info.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
As one of the early contributors to that site, it was a nice surprise to find an outlet for thoughts on all the commentaries I listen to at work through the week. In fact, I think it was this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=180948

...where Herschel first mentioned his site (could be wrong). There's a tonne of great stuff in this thread that posters of the original comments might like to port over to ratethatcommentary.com.

My only regret is that the site didn't exist earlier, as I'm one of those rare geeks who has actually listened to every commentary in his collection (at least for films I've already seen: still have some new buys to get around to). Unfortunately, listening to that many tracks make it difficult to remember details for any real length of time, and thus I can't post much about them (and won't post if all I can come up with is one sentence).

Oh well, back to my headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks