What's new

I finally got a projector!!!! Panny 500! (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Wes,

He may have me on the picture...but I've got him on the sound!! Anyway, he's my bud!!

Plus, the first time he say my Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD that had just been calibrated by Gregg Loewen, the man was floored. He'll tell ya that!!

AND IF HE INVITES UP TO DAYTON, I PROMISE NOT TO FALL ASLEEP ON HIS NEW HT FURNITURE....YEA, RIGHT!! :b

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
LOL. You guys are killing me. Actually I do miss my hometheater buds. I need to host another meet for sure, because me picture now is extremely good since I got this HD(converter) dvd player. I've just been so busy with school, I haven't had much time to do anything these days. That' why I missed your mini meet Alan, I had an exam the next day and I was little behind so I really had to spend that day preparing.

But soon as a day comes availible I will invite you guys over.:emoji_thumbsup:

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
So Lamarkus, what differences have you seen with the Samsung HD-DVD player over a regular progressive? We tried one on my friends panny 500 using DVI and it did not look to good at all. He even tried the Zenith and was still not impressed! The Pioneer progressive drew a better cleaner pic that we saw. He was running a 25' DVI cable if that makes a difference!

Wes

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hi guys,

I also picked up the Panasonic 500 in September.
The DA-LITE screen arrived at 182" matte white 1.85:1.
We had ordered the high power glass-beaded (washable).
We only found out AFTER we had mounted it 20 feet off the ground. Picture is great, but dark (or not bright enough) and the correct screen finally arrived 4 months later as they sent the right one since but wrong size!

Since the ratio was off for video (a lot of overscan), we changed to 1.78:1, resulting in 185" wide.

The problem now is swapping out the rollers - Electrol Cosmopolitan. How do we get up to the 6m high ceiling with a 160" long barrel etc.?

We did a quick test comparing fabrics, and the brightness difference was VERY obvious.

Anyone interested in photos?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Are we supposed to post photos here, or link offsite?

If you can't wait, go here:

http://ifiji.com/imdvd/images/shop2/

ps. I didn't like DVI - it locks the ratio, and I didn't see any improvement over component, even at 182" - more than 11 feet.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well Wes, for starters, there was a lot of overscan on the component connection. When it was on component there was about 7% overscan on the sides. When I switched it to DVI it was 0%. Second, my black level increase dramatically when I used the dvi upconverting to 750p. All the colors appeared to be more solid. The cord is 15' long I don't know if that makes a difference since it's digital. And my screen is painted silver. But all these improvements I'm seeing may just be the result of having a better dvd player. I've had that toshiba for about 3 years, it was a really good one when it came out, but it also suffered from the chroma bug (which I hated!). But this new dvd player, I love it so far, there were reports of it having some issues when it first came out back in August 04', but I think I have a re-released model because I don't see any of the problems they were speaking of.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hey LaMarcus, which silver color are you using, exactly. I may want to give it a try. I'm always up for testing.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Looks cool Chris, is it your store? You must have to turn the lights down when watching the PJ do you not?

Wes

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
All lights go off, the tinted windows allow lookout. The high power screen when swapped in should make a huge improvement.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
yes,

All lights go off, the tinted windows allow lookout. The high power screen when swapped in should make a huge improvement.

If you look closer, the 50" plasma is dwarfed. The mezzanine also has the 3rd screen at back for networked xBox Halo 2 smackdowns.

ok, I quickly threw together a page for it:

http://ifiji.com/imdvd/theatre.html

ps. anyone have suggestions on best way to swap out rollers?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'm curious about something. Does it make any sense for the black in the picture to be blacker than the bars at the top and bottom on 2.35 movies? Ever since I got this new dvd player the black in my picture is darker than the bars. It's always been the other way around.

Any ideas?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
That seems weird as they both should be the same level of black or dark gray as LCD is incapable of true black.

Wes

Brad E

Second Unit
Optical illusion, the black in the picture is surrounded by light, making it look blacker.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Actually Brad E that is exactly what I thought, but I didn't want to sound crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks