What's new

I fear Universal dropped the ball on Kate And Allie (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter

That's what I've been hoping. I still feel the original announcement has to be in error. There's no way it'll sell for $30 with only six episodes. Combining the two seasons is much more in line with current practice.

Otherwise, using Universal's math ($5 per episode), we can expect to pay $110 for Season Two.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
The previews seem old. They have a date for Charles and Gimme a Break listed for Feb 7, when they REALLY come out the 14th. So I guess Universal will just go with S1 only for K&A.

RandyAW

Grip
I really hope the MSRP is wrong. I was looking forward to seeing this show again but I could never spend that kind of money for 6 episodes.10 bucks is about right.
I don't even have a clue as to how well that show will hold up now, and maybe I won't find out either.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
We've confirmed recently with Universal that K&A is just the first season only, and that the reported SRP is correct. Sorry.

MattHR

Screenwriter
A portion of my upcoming want list:

GOLDEN GIRLS S5
EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND S6
SYBIL
WINGS S1&2
KATE & ALLIE S1
THAT 70s SHOW S4
LOIS & CLARK S3
SUPERBOY S1

No thanks, Universal. I have a feeling Netflix will see an unusual "demand" for this disc.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
They're killing this release before it ever hits the shelves. Even big fans of the show are going to balk at paying that much for such a short season. I'll be getting it but not until it's deeply discounted.

Anyone know a direct way to contact Universal so we can complain that they're screwing up this series ?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, it's Universal's fault for screwing the release up. I like Kate And Allie, but I have other things I'd rather spend $30 on that I'd get more of my money's worth on... especially doesn't help that one of the six said episodes is already on the Gimme A Break DVD I just bought (the "extra" episodes on that DVD is nearly half as many episodes on K&A, and retail is only $5 more when season 1 of that show alone contains more than three times the number of episodes, plus bonus episodes). Therefore I'd really only be buying 5 episodes.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If all of this really is true then it's perhaps one of the worst screw-ups in recent DVD history. And it could easily have been avoided.

Jen>M

Auditioning
Hello.

I am not happy with this decision by Universal either. I have been a Kate & Allie fan since the 80's , and have been waiting a very long time like everyone else for the DVD release. Finally there seemed to be a glimmer of hope with the episode on Gimme A Break, and then Season 1 in May, but it would be disappointing if it ended there.

I am feeling torn- I want to buy it because I have been waiting a long time for it and I want to help ensure that there will be a Season 2 release, but this is a frustrating position Universal has put us in...

Brady

Grip
I empathize will everyone who loved this show and wanted to see it on DVD, but I really must admit that this show seems doomed to me. First, if much more popular shows such as Barney Miller, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy couldn't even warrant a second season, than I guess my question to Universal would be, how in the hell do they expect a show like Kate and Allie to perform well enough for a second season if they charge 30 bucks for six episodes that will probably run anywhere from 22 to 25 minutes? Hell, you get more value for your dolar when you purchase some Director's Cut movies or Special Editions.

Secondly, they have to reason that people will balk at this price. So maybe they'll get around it by discreetly hiding the fact that only 6 episodes appear. But then all those casual fans who might buy it will watch it and say, whoa..thats it? and probably not buy a season two. So, and I hope I'm wrong here, really I do, but IF sales for season one will even warrant a season two (and I'm iffy on that) will the sales be there for the second season? I'm tired of studios ripping people off because someone at the top says "Oh, they'll pay for it if they really want it".

Come on, I'd like season sets of Welcome Back, Kotter, but I don't think I should have to prove my loyalty by running out and buying a "TV Favorites" disc first. If all I wanted was best of compilations, then I'd be happy. But as a college student, disposable income for me gets a little hard to come by.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I too feel the pricing on this is grossly unreasonable. This release reminds me of Northern Exposure S1 and it's ridiculous pricing. I still don't own that series, which I was looking forward to ever since the first seasons of the X-files were arriving.
Same will unfortunately likely be the case with Kate & Allie.

Gord has now mentioned 2x a canadian release for this title. Is this a known release that can't be officially announced yet, or simply speculation?

MattHR

Screenwriter
This news has officially canceled any chance of my purchasing the set -- even if found at a bargain price. I'd imagine most others will feel the same.
It will also likely have an impact on the release of further seasons.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Half the episodes are edited, and at these prices per episode, forget it.

This is a truly cynical, heartless effort on Universal's part, and the disc is now worthless to me. I am boycotting this disc actively.

DanielHEN

Grip
Wow. I was actually going to buy this disc despite the ridiculous price tag for only 6 eps. But with half of them being syndicated, forget it. Universal really dropped the ball on this one.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Originally season one and two were suppose to be together, I wonder if the studio changed how it was going to be released but forgot to change the price. The only place which has set this at a rather reasonable price is Best Buy.

It is a shame because the high price is going to kill this series out of the gate.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks