What's new

I fear for Happy Days (1 Viewer)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Okay, here's my final word about The Odd Couple movie vs tv series dispute.

The movie was much funnier than any of the episodes. No one writes jokes like Neil Simon... well, maybe Larry Gelbart and Carl Reiner... but they worked with him. As far as creating characters? He knew how to create characters... dont get me started on a Neil Simon debate. He's one of the most, if not the most, prolific playwrights of our age. I'm sure 400 years from now, we'll still be studying Neil Simon's work. Just look at the list of plays he's written... over 30.

I can't wait for all 11 seasons of Happy Days. Bring it on!

Look at the success of M*A*S*H... it hasn't slowed... should we really worry about Happy Days?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
We'll have to disagree on Neil Simon. I much prefer Jean Kerr or George S. Kaufman or many other Broadway playwrights who worked the same groove he did, but (IMO) created more rounded characters. What drives me crazy about Simon is that everyone in his plays deals in one-liners, which is to say he writes jokes instead of lines that reveal character. I prefer -- both in plays and sitcoms -- the kind of comedy writing that isn't a bunch of jokes, but gets laughs from its appropriateness to the character, e.g. something that isn't funny on its own but is funny in context. That's also a problem I have with Larry Gelbart, who is great at one-liners but IMO overrated when it comes to writing character. (Carl Reiner is an example of a New York sketch comedy guy who did learn to write character comedy, rather than one-liners, and he famously had a reluctance to hire New York sketch comedy writers on The Dick Van Dyke Show, becase he felt they wrote jokes rather than story. Garry Marshall has said that Reiner didn't want to hire him initially, and he had to learn how to write for story and character rather than one-liners.)

And I don't see what's so weird about my preferring Randall and Klugman. Tony Randall was a comic genius. (Frank Tashlin once said something to the effect that directing Tony Randall is like playing a Stradivarius.) Jack Lemmon was a fine actor, but I have no problem in saying that Randall was funnier. And Jack Klugman was a solid veteran New York character actor, just like Matthau was before Odd Couple made him a star.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

The Password is GRAVY.

Betty White: Sauce.

Contestant: Mayonaisse.

Oscar: MEAT! MEEEEAT!

Felix: Lincoln.

Everyone: LINCOLN?

Felix: It's a known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Claude North

Second Unit
So, in an earlier post. someone mentioned the Happy Days episode in which Joanie was almost raped. I never saw that one until recently, when I caught part of it on TV Land. Definitely a low point in the series.

Apparently, Joanie was teaching high school and was attacked by a student. When did she become a teacher? Why were all the high school students played by actors in their thirties?

Naturally, Fonzie showed up just in time to do his "here I come to save the day" schtick.

Happy Days had its moments, but it really wasn't a forum for serious issues.

Also, for all you fans of the show, check out the scenes in Mommie Dearest that take place on the set of Christina's soap opera. Look closely, especially during the scene in which Joan fills in for the ailing Christina, and you'll see that the soap opera set is the first floor of the Cunningham's house! (Both were Paramount productions.)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
(Announcer): The Password is --- "Bird"

FELIX: (confidenty) Aristophones.

OSCAR: Aristophones? I don't know .... Greek?

Wrong Answer!

CONTESTANT: Canary

BETTY WHITE: Bird...?

Ding! Ding! Right Answer!

(Crew takes a commercial break)

ENTIRE CREW TO FELIX: Aristophones!!???!!

FELIX: Everyone knows Aristophones wrote a play called "The Birds"!

OSCAR: Everybody but ME!! Look, Felix - we're getting creamed here! No more bad clues!! 'Aristophones' is ridiculous!!

(Announcer): The Password is --- "Ridiculous".

OSCAR: Aristophones....

FELIX: (pauses and thinks) "....Ridiculous!!!!!"

**(okay, I admit I don't know how to spell Aristophones) :)

Supporting Actor
Maybe they should have never made a Odd Couple series... you don't mess with perfection! Neil Simon... hint hint.

Supporting Actor
Something made Happy Days survive for 11 long years. I wonder what it was.....

Here's where Happy Days JUMPED THE SHARK and survived!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I happen to love Neil Simon, and am one of the few big fans of THE OUT OF TOWNERS (1970).

THE ODD COUPLE movie is a great film and I also love it; but the TV show expanded and improved upon the theme for me and millions who've tried to go back to the film after first discovering the show, and just don't like it as much.

I honestly don't believe you've seen the entire show, all 114 episodes. You couldn't possibly enjoy the whole theme of THE ODD COUPLE yet find every episode of the series bad.
More likely you've already made your mind up because you're so defensive of the film.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

I agree Tory, I'm a BIG HD fan, it was a weekly ritutal at my house and I liked the relationship between Richie and Fonzie. And I will buy all of them because I just love the show and besides I like having something that is'nt NC-17 rated muck.
Also, I'll probably be buying a copy of s1 for a xmas gift for a friend.
Look if you pick the show to death you'll end up hating it.
No one is forceing us to buy these shows, the idea is just having good entertainment to enjoy, which is non-existent on tv for me these days. so stop worrying about buying all eleven seasons when s1 is'nt even out yet, just enjoy season 1!
After all, me and other fans have waited since the 70's for this moment. :emoji_thumbsup: aaayyy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks