What's new

I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 - 3/14/06! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I rember as a kid watching these they never really showed the B&W Season Much always starting at S2. When They did air them I always thought it was a treat to see these early episodes while they were still captains...

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I found that I enjoyed the 1st Season of IDOJ better than I had remembered though I think it pales in comparison to the Second Season. There are only about 1/3 of the episodes in the First Season that I would watch over and over and those are:
  • "The Lady in the Bottle", which I think is one of the best in the whole series.
  • "My Hero?"
  • "The Yacht Murder Case"
  • "The Moving Finger"
  • "Whatever Became of Baby Custer?"
  • "Where'd You Go-Go?"
  • "The Richest Astronaut in the Whole Wide World"
  • "The Permanent House Guest"
  • "Bigger Than a Breadbox, Better Than a Genie"
  • My Master, the Thief"
  • "My Master, the Magician"

And I also enjoy watching these better in color though I do realize that the lighting and all is off for them to have originally been shot in color.

I've really been enjoying this set. I don't recall seeing these episodes growing up, I don't think they were shown in syndication when I watched them. I got the color version, I like having a choice, so I voted with my $. I hope the B&W nazis don't find me!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Watch it....we're "Everywhere" :D Just kidding! I hope us "B/W" fans aren't coming across like that in this forum. Although I'll always buy B/W if that's the way a season/series was originally made, I like (and said so in the Bewitched thread as well) the fact that Sony gave the consumers a choice. I haven't seen many, if any other studios go that route. The big thing, is IDOJ got released.

I should have put a :) in my post. I'm totally cool with B&W guys and I understand all the reasons you like the original version. I too would be very upset if the original versions weren't available. I think it's the techno side of me that likes to see what is possible. I'd like to see colorization get better, and be an option for those who like it. I'm all for choice. Just as an aside I have a WWI DVD of colorized footage. It really makes the war somehow a little more real seeing it in color.

Back to IDOJ, I'm almost done with S1, looking forwards to S2!!! There were a few clunkers early in the season but about midway it really hit its stride, and I find it very funny!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Here's a question for "Jeannie" experts: Which season did Major Healy discover (or Major Nelson tell him) that Jeannie was a genie? I'm about halfway through viewing S1 at present with S2 on the shelf.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
You are just about there, Jeff...it happens in "The Richest Astronaut in the World", which is one of the better Season 1 episodes.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Since this thread has popped up again I figured I'd air something I've been experiencing by watching these shows lately (including Season 2).

My wife loves this show, and even though I watched it as a kid I am by no means overly familiar with it. So every show is pretty much like a new experience for me. We've gotten into the routine of watching one episode each evening, and I had no idea that this program was so redundant! The basic storyline is always the same... Jeannie fouls up Tony Nelson somehow... Tony gets caught by Dr. Bellows.... Dr. Bellows tells him to wait right there while he tells General Peterson..... and then by the time Peterson arrives, things are back to normal.

This is funny, but every time? For those reading this who really know the show, can I ask you if this pattern ever changes or are new ideas introduced as the series goes along? :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sounds pretty much like how the show was from beginning to end. I thought yours was going to be a happier story, though: "I wasn't familiar with it, but we watch it every evening and I *love* it!"

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
There are other story lines and other directions, but many are like you said. I always laugh when Dr. Bellows exasperately says... "He's done it to me again".

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Of course why in the world Dr. Bellows doesn't (just one time) say to Tony: "Come with me Major Nelson to General Peterson's office" is a mystery as well.

Of course, if that were to happen, we wouldn't have the "Tony miraculously worms his way out of trouble" resolution to all of these programs, would we?

That would be similar to having Dr. Richard Kimble caught by Lt. Gerard each week on "The Fugitive". And then we'd have to rely on another train wreck to free Kimble every week "en route to the death house". That might seem a tad unrealistic. That'd probably be even more unrealistic than having Dr. Kimble constantly running into people who are more than willing to aid a fugitive's escape week after week. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Thanks, I'll check the ep guide on the set and see when it's coming.

When were Major Nelson and Jeannie married in the series? I seem to remember that it was in the last season.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Major Nelson and Jeannie tie the knot in the Fifth and Final Season in the episode titled "The Wedding", which many (including the cast) feel was the downfall of the series...which I'd have to agree.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Since the concept already seems played out by Season 2, I guess marriage would be the obvious path to try by Season 5! Doesn't Jeannie then always call Major Nelson "Anthony"? And if I recall, doesn't Dr. Bellows ultimately come to "know" Jeannie? If so, that was a good way to end the series...

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I do agree that there really seemed to be nowhere to go with the characters but marriage but then it essentially became Bewitched.

The episodes in the Fifth Season leading up to the marriage, and really the marriage itself are very good. Dr. Bellows does finally meet Jeannie about seven episodes before the actual wedding. And one of the episodes in the Fifth Season "Hurricane Jeannie" has Dr. Bellows discovering Jeannie's powers!! It is one of my favorite episodes though it does have a twist ending...it was supposed to have been the series finale but the schedule had to be shuffled in 1970 because the TV coverage of the Apollo 13 disaster. It would've been a great series finale.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The storylines start to get more varied once you get into the third season and on.

Personally, while I love both series (no need to start a war, really, cause I just love Samantha!), I always found that "Bewitched" was the series that endlessly retreaded the same ground; much more so than IDOJ. Of course, there are a lot more episodes, too.

I never really felt IDOJ "jumped the shark". The marriage idea was pretty well executed in the final year, and I liked seeing Dr. Bellows and his wife interacting directly with Jeannie, etc. I'm glad they ended it when they did.

Users who are viewing this thread