What's new

I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 - 3/14/06! (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm the other way around... I don't understand buying online, putting your personal account information on the net, often having to wait longer by mail, and then running the risk of getting a dented box or the wrong title.

When I go to the store (and I'm in New York so there's no problem finding most of what I want) I pick it right up the moment I want it, and I hand pick the box I like best (no tears or dents). If there is a problem with the disc inside, I return it and get another, no waiting. I've heard people complain that sometimes their online purchases are delayed and while many board members are enjoying their new DVD, they are still waiting.

There have been two or three times in the past 8 years where I was forced to buy online for very hard-to-get titles, but that's always a last resort for me.

One of these last resorts may turn out to be with I DREAM OF JEANNIE SEASON 1, because people are saying the black and white version may not be available in stores (!??!) I am very much against colorization on principal, but I have to admit I can see a show like this one benefiting from color and it's probably a good idea for sales for the studio to offer people a choice. Still, I'll buy the original black and white edition, because that's how it was shot, and also we can always enjoy the color shows when the second season arrives.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Great family "history", Craig :emoji_thumbsup: That's a :cool: story about getting the 1st family Color TV. I grew up in the same time as you, but I'm the one who had to get the 1st color TV at my parent's house.

DavidP: Thanks for a superb post on the "color / B&W" expl. Two :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

IDOJ: I don't remember watching the 1st season when it first aired. My 1st time with this show was in S2 back then. When I saw some of the 1st season airings on Nick at Nite, I was surprised at the opening theme music being different than the later seasons.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

You might want to give your local stores a look first. I didn't buy Bewitched, but I did see the B&W version in several stores. Best Buy and Fry's had it (BB still does, based on a local store availability search on their website).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Barbara Eden was pregnant when episodes 2 - 11 were filmed.
This is why the Jeannie costume has more material to try and hide her figure.

I hope they keep the first season theme music and the non cartoon credits which explain the situation of this situation comedy. It contained scenes from the pilot. I don't know how many episodes this was used for before they switched to the cartoon opening.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I hate going to a store for shopping of any kind (unless it's an old record store, of which there are very few left these days). I have had no trouble buying things on line with my personal information. I don't care about the wait as I've not had a chance to watch 99% of the DVDs I've bought anyway since I still have years to go with transferring my collection from 1/2 inch. I have never received a wrong title or a dented box, nor do I really care about the box anyway.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The reason I don't buy DVD sets on line is in case there is a problem with one of the disks, I can take the set back, and just switch the bad disk. This just happened to me on the fourth disc of the Flintstones 4th season set.

Single DVD releases I'll get online if they are cheaper and available.

Since I buy them at Costco, or BB (whatever is cheaper during the release week), the savings are not that substantial, if there's any.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Whoaaa! Wait a minute -- I just watched the "coming attractions" ad for I DREAM OF JEANNIE SEASON 1 on my new ALL IN THE FAMILY disc, and the colorization looks excellent, quite natural...

I'm starting to wonder whether I might decide to break my own anti-colorizing rule this time and buy this set in color...

Has anyone ever seen these episodes colorized? I'm definitely a guy who believes in leaving things as originally intended, but DAMN, that coming attractions footage looked beautiful!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Reports are already running around that, like with Bewitched, some of the colorization is wrong. For instance, Tony's spacesuit in the first episode is orange, when a publicity photo taken from back in the day shows it as blue.

Original black and white for me, please.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Ditto, Dave. I want them the way they originally aired.

Man, what a 1st quarter to '06! "Releases, Releases...." (forget "decisions, decisions")....I'll get all of these;

'LOIS & CLARK' S2 RELEASE TUE 01/17
'TIME TUNNEL' VOL 1 RELEASE TUE 01/24
'DALLAS S4' RELEASE TUE 01/24
'HILL ST BLUES' S1 RELEASE TUE 01/31
'A-TEAM S3' RELEASE TUE 01/31
'RAT PATROL' S1 RELEASE TUE 01/31
'VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA' S1 V1 RELEASE TUE 02/21
'HOGAN'S HEROES' S3 RELEASE TUE 03/07
'COLUMBO' S4 RELEASE TUE 03/14
'I DREAM OF JEANNIE' S1 RELEASE TUE 03/14
'KNOTS LANDING' S1 RELEASE TUE 03/28
'A-TEAM' S4 RELEASE TUE 04/04

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And me. Besides, I think the B&W image is lovely. Can't wait to see it in the higher resolution DVD allows over broadcast.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Weird thing is, during the DVD previews for these sets, I didn't see that they were offered in both "Black and White" and "Color" option. I would have thought this would be an important thing to advertise.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Joe, I did the same and bought both B&W and Colorized seasons of Bewitched bacuse of the beautiful work done on these shows. I was amazed when I first saw these broadcast on the Hallmark channel. Sony worked hard and created a better method of colorization that keeps the original greyscale intact. There was a featurette about it on the original Japanese dvds of Bewitched.

I agree that things shouldn't be messed with and that colorization is completely unneeded and irrelevent, but they really did do a beautiful job on these, and sometimes I love watching the colorized ones because it's almost like seeing the episodes again for the first time.

As for getting the colors wrong, another example is that they made the first season bottle purple, instead of black with gold decorations. I guess they thought it was better to try to tie it thematically with the later seasons than to go for what the actual color was.

I never cared for the first season of Jeannie, but I'll probably pick up the colorized set, if not both sets.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I went to Best Buy today and spotted the BEWITCHED series on the shelves. It turned out that they only stocked the Colorized versions. I was able to speak with one of the salesmen who was more knowledgable than your usual BB rep, and he said that Best Buy did initially stock the black and whites, but not now. He said I might have to order online to get a black & white season set of I DREAM OF JEANNIE.

Now, as I said earlier, the colorized coming attractions for Jeannie looked pretty realistic, and all things considered I am still contemplating taking a chance on the color version. I figure that if I really want to see it in black and white, I can turn off the color*

*(NOTE: I already understand that turning the color off is NOT the accurate presentation of a black & white program; in fact, I always preach this very same fact to movie fans who choose colorization!!) :)

Being that this is the HTF and being that I am anti-colorization, I keep wanting to verify that this is an odd stance for me. I just keep thinking I may take an unusual leap for this one season of this show. The bottle and the uniforms are not properly rendered? Well, they weren't originally black/gray, either! :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Unlike OAR, there is no anti-colorization clause at the HTF. Nobody will jump on you for wanting colorization. On the other hand, a person can and will be jumped on for saying colorization is wrong. :) So, get what you like. I'll get B&W or nothing.

Bewitched is one of those shows I like when I'm watching, but I don't seek out. For that reason, I didn't buy the DVDs. I'm suddenly interested now that I know the B&Ws are becoming hard to find. I'm thinking I should pick them up before it's impossible to do so.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I think I may just pick up both versions of this season.

I've seen the colorized versions (via Hallmark) and I thought they were quite well done for the most part. I seem to remember the pilot being colored somewhat more sloppily than what followed.

Too bad they didn't just shoot the series in color that first year as originally planned. I've read (I think in the "Dreaming of Jeannie" book) NBC didn't want to pay for the extra cost and Sidney Sheldon was prepared to pay the difference out of his own pocket, but he was advised not to as they didn't think the series would last! Bad move, as those B/W shows were ommitted from syndication runs in most markets for decades afterward!

I'm just thrilled there are some extras on this set!

Beau

Supporting Actor
I just pre-ordered the B&W version on amazon (yay!), but I have a question or two for anyone who had pre-ordered the Bewicthed sets from amazon. Did they send you the right version of what you ordered (B&W or Color). Only asking becasue it doesn't say on IDOJ's title header, or whatever you call it, which one is which. Both just says "I Dream of Jeannie: Complete First Season (4pc)" (though obviously you can tell from the pictures which is which). Just wondering if that may mess things up when being prepared for packing and some people might not get the version they ordered.

Another question, if I chose one day shipping on a pre-order, will I get it delivered to me on the day of it's release? I've only pre-ordered one thing on amazon, and I seem to remember being surprised when I got it in the mail on the day of it's release.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Beau,

I've had very good luck with Amazon. I use them for nearly all of my online TV/DVD buys. I ordered the B&W version of Bewitched from them and received the correct version. I always order with the "super-saver" free shipping and I've found that, in nearly all cases, I receive my DVD's within 1-2 days after the official release date. Typically, I'll get them on the Wednesday or Thursday after the Tuesday release. Occasionally, that will not be the case but it's worth it to me to wait a little bit and not have to pay extra for shipping costs. I'm not certain why, in rare cases, I get a set the next week after the release date. The main reasons I use Amazon and shop online is for time-savings. I don't have to look for a B/W (or other less-mainstream) release at a local store. The other reason I use online stores is, in most cases, but not all, the price is less this way. There are a few exceptions, at, say, a Wal-Mart or Target "close-out/discount" table, etc. However, I have done some cost-comparisons between local (Best-Buy, Fry's, and a few times at Wal-Mart) price checks and have found that in a lot of cases, the Amazon online price is lower. I occasionally use the online store "DeepDiscountDVD" also, although, in most cases, for a new release, Amazon's price will be lower. DD's price is usually lower for a release that's been available for awhile. The other advantage that I like about Amazon is their return/exchange policy. I've had to exchange a couple TV/DVD sets for the common "disks scratched during shipping" reason. Amazon pays for the return shipping and has an easy to use printout shipping form for the return pkg. The other thing I like is that, at least for me, they will accept returns that are outside the normal 30-day time window. I recently returned a set for exchange that had been purchased about 3 months earlier with no problems.

Back to the thread topic :D Thanks for the info about the Amazon page for the IDOJ release regarding the ommission of the B/W vs Color info at their site. I don't know if anyone has e-mailed their Cust Support to mention that oversight but I'll send off an e-mail in a moment to them.

Beau, I checked out the post pages at Amazon and although they don't specify B/W vs Color on the product heading, it's specified under the "format" information when you click on the DVD picture for additonal info. Just wanted to let you know (and anyone else reading this).

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, You cited the same reasons as to why I shop online myself. I've never had problems with Amazon.com at all. I find that I can get the best deals online other than an occasional sale at our nearest Best Buy store.

I use the online price search at:

http://dvdpricesearch.com/

I just type in the name of the release that I'm looking for and it gives me a lot of choices. It even brings up Walmart prices sometimes.

You have to be character/case specific though, when searching. If you type in "Gilligans Island" you get no matches,but if you type in Gilligan's Island with the apostrophe,you get matches.

I use this search site most of the time and usually go through tvshowsondvd.com to purchase in order to help support their site.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Brett: Thanks for the DVD price search link. I didn't know about that site before this. I just checked it out. :cool: I'll start checking it out regularly.

- Jeff "12 days until Time Tunnel is released" W. (borrowed another "Gary OS" HTF member patented "sign-off" :D

Users who are viewing this thread