What's new

I don't believe Jarred from Subway! (1 Viewer)

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
We've all seen those Subway commercials where Jarred was fat, decided to eat subs, and got skinny! I use to be overweight and lost 90 lbs but with salads and yogurt and starvation. The only thing I can think of is they attached the sub to the back of a car and made him chase it for 20 miles, and then he could eat it. Whats next? The Sara Lee cheesecake diet?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
An excersize regimen was part of Jared's success story. And the key to the whole thing was saying no to mayonaise, bacon, and chese.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
You could have a perfectly healthy meal at subway.

Wheat bread (as opposed to white- complex carbs not simple)

No meat or cheeses (animal fat) and no mayo.

So, a 6 inch veggie sub on wheat is fine.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Many of the meats they use are very lean. Stick with Roast Beef, Turkey, Ham, or Chicken and you're fine. Just say "no" to the Mayonaise and cheese.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I pretty much cut gratuitious fat out of my diet. No mayo. No cheese. Limited amounts of beef. Lunch sandwiches usually made of turkey, wheat bread, and various veggies (lettuce, onion, sprouts, etc). Regular bag of chips replaced by bag of baked chips.

I shed about 30 lbs in the process and have had zero problems keeping it off. Just cutting major sources of fat out of my diet did the trick. (though I must confess that removing that fat from my diet was necessitated by the removal of my gallbladder a year ago, though my body seems to have adjusted to the change and the occasionally fatty food item no longer wreaks havoc on my digestive system).

And yea, when I need some fast-food, I usually hit Subway for a mayo/cheese free sandwich (Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich seems OK too, again sans mayo).

-Steve

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
I just try to keep my carbohydrates to a minimum and workout like a fiend. Thats why the Subway thing bothers me. I know whats on the sub itself is okay, but all that bread isn't.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Nutra-Sweet has the same effect, but to a much higher degree
Phil,

Wow, I have never heard this before. I am not questioning the truth or validity behind it, but do you happen to have a reference that I could consult to learn more about it? I guess the diet cola companies are really making a killing, huh?

Jason

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Diet is only the first step.

It kills me when people just eat differently and expect to lose weight or get healthier. You may lose some weight, but believe me when you start eating again, it'll all come back with a vengeance.

You must exercise. Absolutely, must exercise! Your body must get into the habit of processing energy more efficiently.

The best thing to do is adopt a routine that combines weight training with a cardiovascular routine. Many people just do cardio, and end up all flabby. Muscles add tone, and help keep the metabolism running - basically, the more muscle you have, the more energy/calories/fat your body will need to process to maintain itself.

I'm in the gym almost on a daily basis... I do cardio (15 minutes to a half hour), and then a weight routine covering a different muscle group each day.

(And no, muscle does not turn into fat!)

A very very good book on this subject (diet, weight loss, fitness, health) is by a guy names Bill Mitchell called Body for Life. It pretty much explains everything you need to know to get healthy.

Ike

Screenwriter
I'm on that Weight Watcher's point thing, and it too promotes cheese-less and mayo-less (I'm actually, and I'm being quite serious, phobic of mayo. Mayophobic, maybe?) Subway sandwiches, especially those 7 under 6 subs, that include the veggie, turkey, roast beef, and the Club. And they aren't bad, taste wise either.

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
Good point Moe about also adding weight lifting. My wife works for Canyon Ranch(health spa), which allowed me a consultation with an expert that stressed when you build muscle, even when idle, that muscle helps to burn fat.

By the way, I cant get that new Subway song out of my head:

He's Henry, Clay Henry!

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I've done three major things in regards to weight loss.

1. Exercise! I walk daily, and then added weights to the regimine. The point about muscle burning calories even when idle is spot on.

2. Control what and how much I eat. I fix my plate and take it away from the pots/pans it was prepared in. And I take a bit smaller portions. I've learned to eat smaller meals and have more of them in the day. I actually found I eat less overall.

3. Drink water, water and more water. I limit myself to at most one soda a day.

The above items have become a lifestyle rather than a diet for me.

~Kurt

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

My only reference is what I posted, it was a nutrition class at my local gym Lifetime Fitness and the discovery came from bodybuilder research. Maybe a search on the net could answer the question?

Soda pop is pretty disgusting anyway. I admit to drinking root beer once in a while, but if you think about it soda is pretty freaky. All that CO2 what the hell for? It looks like something from a Frankenstein experiment. Come to think of it, where does soda pop come from, the ground and a food processing facility or a chemical factory?

Oh, and most Subway ads make it clear that excersize was a big part of Jared's success.

Ike

Screenwriter
I hate mayo! I think it's the most disgusting condiment ever created.
While quite funny, admittedly, I have all the symptoms of a phobia around mayo. I can't stand to eat for one. I can't smell it, or look at it. I can't watch any one else eat it, or my food begins to taste like it, or I dry heave. I don't like it to be near anything I'm going to eat in the fridge. Even watching someone on TV eat makes me feel like I'm eating it.

I know why I have it (terrible childhood memory), and I've forced myself to eat mayonnaise since, but I don't think I will ever get to where I actually enjoy it's taste.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I hate mayo! I think it's the most disgusting condiment ever created.
Me too! I've never liked this stuff - it completely covers the taste of whatever you're eating. Yuck!

Like many of you, I get my Subway sandwiches sans mayo (no hardship there!) and cheese. I also forego the oil. When they ask "vinegar & oil, salt & pepper", I say "just vinegar & pepper, please". The stores are set up with all of these separately, so it's no biggie.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Jared's story was in Men's Health about six months before Subway became his Sugar Daddy. The way the story goes is that Jared moved into a new dorm. He noticed that there was a Subway at the end of the block and had heard about their "under 6grams of fat menu". He decided to lose weight by walking to the Subway and back and eating only, now this is the important part, 1 footlong veggie sub(no cheese no mayo) and 1 6" Turkey sub(no cheese no mayo) on wholewheat and drink nothing but water. This was it, period!. He lost 245 pounds because he was consuming about 600 calories a day and walking about 1/2 a kilometer. Keep in mind he was about 450 pounds when he started.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Jared is the real deal. He stopped by the ad agency my wife worked at (they have the Subway account). Genuinely nice guy, so I'm told.

I don't quite get the Carbs=Evil thing. I thought they were muscle/brain food. I've always eaten a high carb diet (potatoes, pasta, bread, sweets, etc.) and I'm decidedly average weight (6'1", 175lbs). I am a highly active person, though (but rarely exercise in the strict sense of the word), and I drink pretty much only water (at least 2-3 quarts per day).

I did notice my metabolism started to slow at 30 (32 now), but I would attribute that to me slowing down on the physical stuff.

I wonder if a lot of people grossly underestimate their calorie intake. I've read that it takes nearly 2000 calories for a 200lb male to just maintain that weight level, when TOTALLY sendentary. That burn level increases linearly with weight level.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks