What's new

I do not like this as a movie; I do not think it will be groovy. (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The release date is nigh
For "The Cat In The Hat"

SKG and Imagine
Hope they'll get fat

From the cash and promotions
Upon this film's release

No matter that Myers
Looks like a beast

Still, it looks like a lock
For the best make-up Oscar

(I'm stuck,
I know no words that rhyme with Oscar)

Although buzz isn't good
And I might be in traction

I'll be spending my cash
On "Looney Tunes: Back In Action"

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Is what I do say
Let's hope these bad film ideas just go away.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Scott, that's gotta be the most hilarious press release ever. The utter seriousness in which the subject matter is discussed had me falling out of my chair. Examples-

"Using their "Ring-Ring FunNumber Thing", the unique code found on each specially marked package, consumers call a toll-free number"

"MasterCard's Cat in the Hat program will be promoted via an integrated media strategy"

"-- The national promotion will be interactive and supported on specially marked jars of Smucker's(R) Fruit Spreads and Jif(R) Peanut Butter,"

And some of the concepts seem downright pathetic-

"a strong chance of winning free batteries or Cat in the Hat merchandise like sweatshirts or hats"

"-- Consumers can win one of the following prizes...a Cat in the Hat striped hat, or a Cat in
the Hat plush toy"

And of course, I can't wait for what the post office is gonna do.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Even though I know most Hollywood movies are just made to pimp corporate products to the masses, reading press releases like that still depresses the hell out of me.

And oh yeah, this movie has "crap" written all over it.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
This movie is gonna be freakin' awful! Although months late, Craig's poetic rag sounded like something Muhammed Ali would have said about the movie. LOL!!!

David Brass

Agent
Saw the theatrical trailer for this on Friday last.

As someone who grew up with The Cat in the Hat, frankly I felt violated.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah.

Except in jest, I really hate to bash a flick prior to its release...but this one looks like a pepperoni-induced nightmare of the highest order.

And this is coming from someone who LIKES the Grinch movie!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The smily links weren't working last night, so I couldn't use this to sum up my feelings about the trailer. The memory lingers, so:

There. Better. :)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
My question is who gave the directing assignment to Bo Welch. That was just bad. Sure, I have a feeling I was in "Beetlejiuce" while watching the trailer, but "The Cat in the Hat" is no "Beetlejuice", and I hope it falls flat on its face. Bo Welch should continue to do what he is best at: production designing.

But guess what, guys?

People are going to see it, no matter how bad it might seem to us, because the American public in general (and not us up here) doesn't know a bad movie if it came up and bit them on the ass. It is the simple fact of this country, and if anyone is offended by that comment, I apologize, but it is true.

If it fails, I feel the blame shoudl be put on not only director Bo Welch, but Mike Myers as well.

But before I get ahead of myself, let me just say that this film could be a great surprise and end up being very good, but until the film comes out, we can't really make guesses just on the basis of a few stills (which to me, don't tell us anything), and a lackluster trailer (where the marketing department might be trying to make it look like a bad movie). When the movie comes out, we'll know the whole deal.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Just watched the teaser and the trailer.

In a word? CREEPY. I wonder how many children will be dragged to this thing and end up with chronic nightmares.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I have no doubt that if Howard had filmed the original 20 something minute cartoon with the original dialog, it would have been a masterpiece.
Agreed 100%. With the home video market as big as it is, the theaters could make more money AND create higher quality films if they weren't so obsessed with big box office. It would have been cool if Howard had done a 20-30 minute short with a big budget and released it directly to DVD in early November. Would have made a killing, and would have been a far better film.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Wanna hear something scary?
According to the News Briefs onSciFi Wire
Brian Grazer, producer of Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat, told SCI FI Wire that the film brings a heightened reality to problems that will be accessible to kids. "Whereas The Grinch was an adventure in a fantasy world, The Cat in the Hat is sort of Edward Scissorhands meets Home Alone," Grazer said in an interview.
Grazer added, "It's sort of like that, because it's a relatable world. But it's a limited color palette, and the neighborhood is specific. Of course [director] Bo Welch did the first couple Batmans with Tim Burton and actually Edward Scissorhands as well," as a production designer.
In Cat in the Hat, two children find themselves home alone, but not allowed to go into certain rooms or to use their Game Boys or other high-tech gadgets, Grazer said. "So they're bored out of their minds," he added. "How are they going to have fun? They absolutely don't think it's possible. And the Cat comes in as a catalyst and changes their world." The Cat in the Hat opens Nov. 21

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I can never get that trailer link to work. Not from home and not at work. Anyone able to find it anywhere else, preferably as an .avi or an .mpg!

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Yikes that is frightning.

Only thing that may save this movie is Dakota Fanning or hallucinagens.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well hmm. I guess everyone knows this will be a massive super-smash hit...so the following news (from ComingSoon.net ) should come as no surprise:
Personally, I wanna see "Woody Allen's Hop on Pop".

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
And my pal Ed Havens over at www.Filmjerk.com just informed me that The Cat in the Hat runs 82 minutes...including credits.
Hell, I've already seen more than 82 minutes of Cat-related commercials!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I guess I will stand alone saying that this looks to be a better adaptation than the Grinch was (which I rather enjoyed actually, though I prefer the animated version so much more).

It may be boring old formula to people (stick the comedian in the outfit and let him ham it up), but I don't think the film will be outright poor. I think the art direction looks inspired.

My doubts are fading a bit on this one, though it still sits far down my list of "to see" films at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks