What's new

I desperately need some help with my subwoofer (1 Viewer)

bcd127

Auditioning
Real Name
Benjamin
So here is the problem. I just recently purchased some tower speakers, they are bic america model dv84. they are wired to a pioneer usx-dso8 receiver. My subwoofer is a polk audio model psw10. The low pass on the subwoofer is set to 100 hz. The volume has no effect. It sounds like the sub isnt getting the right frequencies. Like the speakers are getting all of the low stuff, while the sub is getting hardly nothing except some random higher frequencies, too high for the sub to put out loudly. I just don't get it. Please help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The PSW10 is, darn near, the lowest common denominator in subwoofer...You don't get much smaller or with less power until you start applying the word "computer" to the speaker.
My guess is you haven't set up the AVR correctly...
What crossover are you using?
Are the fronts set "large"?
What source material are you playing...
FM?
MP3?
CD?
DVD/BD?
But if all is set up correctly and the subwoofer still isn't satisfactory...then it just can't keep up with the DV84. Then you'll need to dial the fronts back(if doing 3.1 or 5.1) and raise subwoofer to compensate.

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
bcd127 said:
So here is the problem. I just recently purchased some tower speakers, they are bic america model dv84. they are wired to a pioneer usx-dso8 receiver. My subwoofer is a polk audio model psw10. The low pass on the subwoofer is set to 100 hz. The volume has no effect. It sounds like the sub isnt getting the right frequencies. Like the speakers are getting all of the low stuff, while the sub is getting hardly nothing except some random higher frequencies, too high for the sub to put out loudly. I just don't get it. Please help.
I own that exact same sub, do you have the manual for it? If you do, read it carefully. If you are running a single RCA ended interconnect between pre-out on the back of the receiver to either the left or right (doesn't matter which) RCA input on the back of the sub, then you have to turn the lowpass dial all the way clockwise to 160 HZ to get LFE. Make sure you've got receiver set to the "small" speaker setting within the bass management system of the receiver, and then make sure you've got the sub pre-out turned on within the the receiver bass management as well. Make sure the sub has power and is turned on and you should get woof out of it. Let me know if you need any more help with it.
Adam.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks