What's new

I confess...I'm sick of beer. I hate it. (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think there are 2 different points that we are arguing, and I actually agree with Holadem AND Malcolm.

As far as agreeing with Holadem:
Alcohol is ok as long as you drink responsibly. The reason why so many get "into trouble" by drinking is because they either have no self-control, don't know when to quit, or are just not ready for the responsibilities of drinking. If you get into trouble from drinking, you have no one to blame but yourself. Blaming the alcohol is "denial".

And as far as agreeing with Malcolm:
Not that I believe that people who drink will turn into alcoholics, and I surely don't believe that drinking (socaially) is bad or evil, but I do have to agree that there are no benefits that can be had with alcohol that can't be had without it. The whole idea of alcohol making you "loosen up" is all in your mind and can be achieved without alcohol, so I can't say that there is any REAL benefit to it.I'm not sure if I would consider that a "benefit", but who am I to argue. :D I guess if there were benefits, I'd say this is probably the only one.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I tried Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Good stuff.....

I'm not surprised people are knocking on Guinness. I think it's pretty good myself, especially the extra stout variety.

I found out the Liquor Barn on Richmond Road is pretty good. It's got a wide variety of beers. I guess Lexington isn't so barren after all. Now if I can find that 100 beers club in Louisville everybody talks about.....

AllanN

Supporting Actor

I’m sure there are better stouts than Guinness. But in my completely culturally defunct town trying to get any beer that is not mass produced is a bit tricky. But I like it, it’s reasonably priced, and I can actually go to the store and buy it.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Please, myself and I'm sure many other serious beer drinkers (tasters), do not drink, analyze and enjoy beer for any simplistic "benefit." Just as much knowledge goes into judging a Belgian Trappist Ale as there would be the finest of wines. For which I think if this thread were about, would be taken more serious. The depth and amount of craft that goes into most beer and ale, is obviously beyond most of your knowledge. So why not save your misconceptions and keep your comments directed towards "people who drink macro-swill to get buzzed and act like idiots?"

Allan, I too have been to towns, liquor stores and grocery where that is all they had. I'll take a Guinness over a Bud any day. Ron is a bit harsh on the Guinness:D . There are just so many stouts that are superior that you're missing out on. Guinness on tap is a whole different gig than it's bottled sister.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I was in such a bar a couple of weeks ago, in CA. It was like being a kid in a candy store.

--
H

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
My Brother-in-Beer, Zen, is correct.

Dome, if I understand you correctly, the bar you are referring to is in New Albany, Indiana, across the river from Louisville. They have over 100 beers and not a single malternative, Bud, Miller, or Coors. I was there last weekend for the start of Gravity Head 2004. It rocked.

Stacey_B

Second Unit
Interesting how this thread has turned into talking about alcohol when the purpose was "against" it. hehe....

Okok, maybe I should take back the "if you've never tried it, don't." It was 8am and I'd been up all night working. I guess really everyone should try it but if it's not for you then just don't "push" yourself to drink, that's all.
If I weighed out everything that's happened to me drinking I'd even say the good times outweigh the bad, but the bad was so much worse and so much more concentrated, for me, I'd just assume leave it alone than risk something like that again.
You don't have a be an alcoholic to get plastered drunk and do something you regret in the morning.
Stacey

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The bottom line is, if you don't feel like drinking, don't let your "friends" pressure you into it. Only drink when you truly feel like it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was going to say something too...Shouldn't the beer talk be in the beer talk thread? I would think that talking about beer here is kind of disrespectful to Mark Kalzer.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

No, not disrespecting Mark at all. Just so many side conversations arise during the course of any 5 page thread. No one meant to offend and the coversation has been pretty civil. You're right though, there is a point when we must shift the conversation over to that "other" thread. Maybe I will see some of you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks