What's new

I confess...I'm sick of beer. I hate it. (1 Viewer)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Being a recently turned 20 year old on a University Residence with largely 18 year olds who are below the drinking age in Ontario, I am nagged repeatedly about why I do not drink.

I've been constantly told that I am not living, or having a good time unless I am drinking, and/or smoking pot, and that people who don't do so are living dull joyless boring lives.

"You don't drink? Man, what DO you do?"

"Uhh...watch DVDs? Play computer games?"

Ever since I turned 20, I have been constantly nagged to try it, even having been given a six pack of Coors Light. I have tried to co-operate but today, on St. Patricks Day, I just got sick of alcohol in general. A number of things are getting on my nerves about beer and alcohol...

One, because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels. And...oh wait, thats rum. (Thanks imdb!)

2) Its a depressant

In the few times I have tried it, it didn't make me feel good. I felt kinda off. I then remembered, alcohol is a depressant. It doesn't make me feel good at all, and it just seems to me that hanging with people who have had alcohol are more unpleasant to be around. They are more rude to me, and less considerate. They don't want to listen to me, or consider my feelings when drunk.

3) Its status quo to drink it

Especially around University residence and you are of the drinking age, you have to be drinking every weekend.

Me, I choose not to drink it. I really have nothing against people who drink. Honestly. I try to be open-minded to others and how they live their lives.

Alas, no one really respects MY lifestyle, and MY choice not to drink alcohol.

Many have come to me with alcohol and when I say, "No thanks. I don't drink." they take that to mean that I object to the drinking lifestyle, that I hate their lifestyle and am protesting it. I have no such protest. I only ask for a bit of respect and consideration for the choices I make. I do not need people putting beer in front of me encouraging me to drink up. I kindly ask to make the choice myself, a choice that is not respected.

People have been trying to get me into beer and I have been playing along up to this point. I've had a few beers, never quite found it all that appealing. However events tonight on St. Patricks day in which I have been both teased and insulted by people under the influence, people who have been trying to get me into alcohol and have thus ruined all friendship we were building, has just killed all my interest in it. I don't find it fun, I don't find it appealing, and I wish people would respect my choice not to do it and leave it at that.

Its not easy being different. I hope perhaps I'm not overreacting. I just felt like venting though.

Heck...trying to maintain my widescreen stance is hard enough. :angry:

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I hear ya.

I'm 21 (almost 22), about to graduate from college and I have never had a full beer or any alcoholic drink. Why? For the same reason. I think it tastes like garbage and it DOES turn decent people into arses.

I am the youngest of 6 kids, and all my older siblings drink - 2 of which are alcoholics. I have seen every one of them drunk and it's sick...

And like you, for my choice I have suffered socially. People I meet disregard me immediately when they find out I don't drink, as if this choice means I don't know how to have fun.

It frustrates me to no end that I have become the social oucast for making the beter decision...

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Hi. My name is Brad. And I'm not an alcoholic.

*Hi Brad*

Don't fret over it, Mark. I'm 32 and I've never consumed any alcoholic beverages (*exceptions being one very small glass of wine at my brother's wedding and a very watered down rum & coke that someone bought for me on my 21st birthday... and Nyquil, of course).

I was at a poker game recently and was offered a beer. I let them know that I don't drink (just so they didn't think I was offended by their particular choice of beer). Some were curious and I basically reiterated much of what you posted. They seemed unimpressed.

Then I said the magic words...

"I've sure saved lots of money through the years by not drinking."

Some of them got noticeably upset as they mentally counted up their alcohol expenses. :D

There is a social cost involved with being a non-drinker, but frankly I've acknowledged that I value my sobriety over popularity. If it bothers your friends that much, tell them that you're on medication that can't be mixed with alcohol. Pick a particular gruesome disease that shows no outside symptoms when treated properly. They'll be happy to sympathize with your plight while realizing that they shouldn't try to force you to drink.

Brad

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
So do you go to Carleton, or University of Ottawa?

I'm at U of O right now.

Personally, i'm not the biggest fan of the taste of beer, but the effects can be fun, as long as you're around the right people.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm 24 about to graduate. I tried drinking beer but it tasted like piss to me, didn't like it. I never smoked or did drugs either so you're not alone. ;)

I did meet people who were shocked I didn't drink. One really cute girl I know did this, and it was SUCH a turn-off. Can't stand people who are shocked if I don't act the way they do.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Drinking is way overrated.

Find friends who also don't drink. Anyone who would ridicule you for not drinking, or try and "convince" you to drink, isn't worth your time.

There's no future in hanging around with a bunch of boozing losers anyway.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Being only 16, I know I probably shouldn't be in this thread, but I'll just throw in my two cents.

Personally, I hate the taste of beer or wine. Never have liked it, and I doubt I ever will. The same goes for coffee. Being partially West Indian (on my fathers side) however, if and when I do get a chance to drink (which has only been once, and I only had a couple of sips), it is purely social. I don't mean to turn this into a racial thing, but my dad has told me that people from that part are mainly social drinkers.

Elaborating on that, those type of people that brag about getting wasted on the weekend, or look forward to getting wasted, just piss me off. It shows a blatant lack of respect for yourself, as well as others. Alcohol, in my opinion, is to have fun with. If you are going to drink, do it resonably, over the entire night. What use is it if you're piss drunk within the first couple hours of the night, and puking your guts out the rest.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say here, but I guess I'll sum it up. If you don't want to drink, don't. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It's their liver, not yours. If you do want to drink, go right ahead, no one's stopping you. Just think of the consequences thereafter.

I don't know what I'm on about. Just felt like talking (typing).

StephenA

Screenwriter
I don't really like beer either. Never really have. I'm more of a hard liquor person if I were to drink. I have been drunk, but it got old real fast so I don't drink anymore. I don't see the use in it, because you make yourself and the people you're with look like complete idiots. I can go into a bar or club and not drink any alcoholic beverages and still have a good time, but sadly a lot of people can't.

I don't like pot either. Tried it and hated it. Never tried any other drugs, and never will.

Enjoy life the way you want I say. You don't need to be drunk, high, or both to do it. Do what you want at your pace and don't listen to others.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

:D

Me, I enjoy my ale, but I respect anyone else's wishes if they don't drink.

S'funny, considering the drinking football culture in England, when I first wanted to see Arsenal at Highbury, tickets are near-impossible to get for the one-time overseas visitor without paying over the odds to a tout, but someone on the Arsenal mailing list was kind enough to help out. The usual "reward" (we have a strict rule about tickets being sold face-value only) is choice of beverages at a pub, but the fellow insisted he doesn't drink, and had a tomato juice instead. In an English pub, full of drinking football fans. But you respect a man's choices, and bought him the juice. :D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Probably due to my dad, who doesn't smoke or drink, I don't drink (or smoke) either. Tried one beer in college....yuck!! Tried wine, yuck! Tried non-alcoholic beer....not bad. But the strongest drink I can take is black coffee.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
You think that's bad? I'm a drummer in a rock band, and I don't drink or do drugs :)

I do enjoy my cigarettes, though.....

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Me neither, never really liked beer, or alchohol in general, though I can easily get sick on even wine coolers. I also never really liked coffee either... Man I must be sick.

At first I thought it was just the cheap beer you find in fraternaties, but after awhile, trying a bunch of different ones, I realized, it's not just cheap beer that I dislike, it's pretty much just beer. I am not that fond of wine and most mixed drinks too.

Jay

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
you don't drink, why?

it doesn't really happened with anything else...

you don't use mayo, why? are you addicted to mayo? do you mind if i use mayo?

thanks to Jim Gaffigan for the joke

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I drink beer. I love beer. Don't generalize and say everyone who drinks acts like a jerk when drunk. If you don't drink, that's great. I do drink. That's also great. I enjoy it responsibly at home. PS: Three Floyd's Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout rocks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks