I can't hear Halo in glorious 5.1!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelH, Nov 16, 2001.

1. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

So I finally get a chance to sit down and play Halo. I went out earlier today and purchased the Advanced A/V Pack so I could connect it up to my receiver, a Kenwood VR-407. I plug everything in, power up Halo, and...
    Something is obviously wrong. The sound is chirpy, intermittent and it occassionally pops. So I pull the cable, try another one I have, then try a different input on the back of my receiver and nothing works. I returned the A/V Pack for another one and have gone through the same process with the same results.
    It's not like there is no sound. In anything less than 5.1, the sound is fine (like on the Dashboard). Once 5.1 kicks in -- I lose it.
    I will call Tech Support if necessary, but I wanted to ask you guys first.
    Thanks,
    Joel
    ----

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Do you have the input mode on the 407 set to D-Auto?
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

3. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Did you enable Dolby Digital in X-Box audio setup? The game should immediately go into 5.1 after the Microsoft logo.

4. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

It actually goes into 5.1 mode. D-Auto is on and Dolby Digital is set in the settings. The display shows all speakers activated and it briefly sounds like it comes through. Then it begins scratching and popping, as if the signal was bad or something. Every once in a while it might stop popping and I can hear 5.1.
    ----
    Joel

5. Kevin Tiedje

Kevin Tiedje Auditioning

Play a movie with the THX intro. Make sure that the dolby digital connection is working and you get sound from all speakers.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

It might be a cabling issue...I just broke down and bought the AV pack tonight and a toslink cable and also have a Kenwood 407 and have had no problems yet. (Other than the fact I had to rearrange stuff on the receiver to open up another toslink slot, they dont put enough on these things!)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

I'll try exchanging the cable I bought with the Adv A/V Pack. Seeing that James has it working with a VR-407 gives me hope that there isn't an incompatibility with the way the signal is sent. I tried it with two different cables, both of which work with my Sat. receiver to provide Dolby Digital, but there is a good chance that there is something I am missing.
    One other thing -- Could there be an issue with the type of cable? I purchased the Monster optical digital cable that shows it hooking to the Monster unit that provides advanced audio and video. It looks like every other cable I have seen, so I don't think that's it, but I am wondering if I should try another type of cable.
    Thanks again,
    Joel

8. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

I hate to be the one to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like it's a faulty sound chip in the Xbox and you will have to exchange yours for a new one.
    From what I have read, the people who are experiencing the same problems as you're describing tried changing the optical cable, A/V packs..etc.., but the problems were only fixed after they returned their Xbox and got a new one.
    Sounds like some Xbox's got out of the factory with a faulty sound chip...
    I have yet to hook up my receiver because I was still shopping around for speakers, but now I am just going to pick up a cheap 5.1 set of speakers so I can test my Xbox's sound chip.
    Also, it might depend on where your Xbox was made, though I doubt it. Some were made in Hungary, while most were made in Mexico.
    More info is needed....

9. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

Tony,
    I think that you are exactly right. I finally switched back to the basic connectors shipped with the X-Box and now I am having problems with just Stereo sound. It will catch and sound like it is stuck, like a bad CD. I have called around to see if I can pick up another X-Box, but of course everyone is sold out. I will try Monday and Tuesday to exchange the one I have.
    By the way, mine was made in Mexico.
    ----
    Joel

10. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Same problem here. I just ried out Halo and DOA3 in 5.1, the sound works, but then starts chirping and popping. So what the heck are we supposed to exchange it for if the stores are out? Most stores have a limited time return policy on electronics (I bought mine at Kmart BTW. They are all out.

11. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

Leroy,
    I would suggest getting intouch with the manager of your local Kmart and explain to him/her that you have a faulty system that you bought on launch. Then I would ask them to hold you one from their next shipment.
    For the meantime, from my understanding, the sound problem is only when using the Optical connection, and it will sound fine with no pops/breakup if you use the RCA's. (Though now the sound is not in 5.1 anymore).
    Temp fix for while you are waiting for your new Xbox...

12. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I called the Xbox support line and they seem to think it's the A/V pack that may be bad. The sound thru the RCA's is fine, only digital sounds like crap. I may try exchanging hte AV pack first, then the box.
    EDIT: Problem solved, exchanged Xbox for another at a different Kmart. SWEEEEEET!!!!
    [Edited last by Leroy on November 17, 2001 at 05:38 PM]

13. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

I have already tried multiple A/V Packs. I think that it is a problem with the X-Box itself, as this is the only piece of equipment that hasn't yet been changed out. Anytime I have DD enabled, it causes problems, regardless of which types or combinations of cables I use.
    I also got mine at a K-Mart, so I will be exchanging it ASAP.
    ----
    Joel

14. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

15. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Monster 300 x cable with the 100 x optical digital cable attatchment and have experienced no problems. Pricey at $80 but it works

16. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Just wondering if this cracking of sound is very noticable, or if you have to really listen for it? I haven't noticed any cracking sounds in my rear speakers using the Advanced AV Pak. My volume was cranked up pretty high, but I just want to make sure that it's something that is very noticable and not something you need to really listen for to hear it.
    Thanks.
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

17. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

Andy,
    The crackling noise is almost immediate and loud. If you haven't heard anything, then you shouldn't have the problem. Within 30 seconds of turning on the X-Box into Halo or Oddworld, I would have popping and cutting out.
    ----
    Joel

18. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Ok, thanks Joel. I guess mine is fine then.
    With every new console launch there are bound to be manufacturing problems. So, I hope people aren't getting too angry about this.
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

19. CraigR

CraigR Agent

I don't get any sound whatsoever through the optical cable. I've tried different cables and still no sound. However, I do get analog sound through the analog cables.