I can't believe the difference

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Neil Regitz, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Neil Regitz

Neil Regitz Auditioning

I know about all the threads dealing with cables. Some say that the cable doesn't make the difference, some say that it does. Well, I just replaced my component cables running from my DVD player, Sony DVP-NS999ES, to my TV, Sony KP-51WS510 with new Silver Digital cables. Wow, what a difference. Colors are much more vivid and the overall picture looks cleaner. I know that these cables are not cheap, but well worth the investment. I would recommend making the upgrade to anyone who is thinking about it.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Neil,

Cables do make a difference! On audio and video. I'm glad you are enjoying the improved picture.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

What were the old cables? Were they damaged somehow or not adequate to transmit the electrical signal?

Though I can see that you want very much to believe that the difference is real (despite the title of this thread), be sure to try a blind test while you still have time to get your money back.

I literally can't believe the difference. [​IMG]

4. dany

dany Supporting Actor

I'm not a beliver in cables make a difference as in 500 dollar cables but if there is a difference to be had,its more likly in video then audio,imo.

5. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

well, in the end. Its just matter if the buyer is happy. If he is, good for him, he spent his money well. Some people probably can't tell the difference between a S-video connection and composite, or CD to MP3, or Mp3 to DVD-A, some people can't tell the difference between speakers. But we buy them, and as long as we think we like the change, we have made a good purchase. I say if you think the cables are better, then they probably are. Just be happy with the purchase you make

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With analog interconnects and video cables there definitely can be differences, and going from a basic cable to a decent one will typically be a very noticable one. I don't subscribe to the $500 cables idea either, but I most certainly feel good cables have their place.

7. Neil Regitz

Neil Regitz Auditioning

Phillip

The cable I replaced was a regular component cable (pure copper, 75 ohm rca). I replaced it with a digital silver/copper alloy cable. Again with a 75 ohm rca connector.

8. Don*A

Don*A Agent

I also agree that cables make a differance. Not the ultra highend boutique cables just good cables. To this point, I had an ISF tech over and we did a comparison of a cheap cable and a pair of Silver Cables(I had my doubts about cables and still do in the high end stuff) from one of the Internet companys that sell good cables at a good price or should I say cheap compared to the boutique cable co. It did change the picture and this was from his gear not are eyes. The picture was brighter and the colors stood out more. Did the same with audio and it showed changes as well. One change was sheer sound level so we turned the amp down to get the same level so the amp is not working as hard. It also made a few of the differant freq. change a little. Then we put on a highend cable that I made the mistake and bought, it was better then the cheap cable but not the good internet cable. Now this all said all that really maters are your ears and eyes. If you buy a $1000 cable and you love what it does that is all that matters!!

9. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Now take off the new cables and put back the old cables. Check the picture quality.

Just the act of unplugging and replugging has cleaned the contacts. If your old cables were in place for years, you might well have been able to "replace the old cables with themselves" and gotten improvement to the picture.

If you have the AVIA disk, play the 200 TVL resolution test pattern. Cable deficiencies often show up here.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

10. MikeTC

MikeTC Stunt Coordinator

I agreed totally about cable upgrade, you get what you paid for. I spent $1000 on cables with my $200 receiver. WoW, what a different, it sounds better than any $1000 receiver without cables. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just kidding.

11. Don*A

Don*A Agent

Kidding aside think about it. Most "Experts" or Cable Companies say spend 10% of the gear price on cables. So for those $1000 interconects you would need a $10000 CD Player!!!

12. John Garcia

John
    I think the whole idea behind the "10%" rule is that you don't go buying a $1000 receiver and a $500 DVD player and use $5 generic POS cables, not so much that you should be looking at $150 interconnects.

I actually paid more for the cables I'm using for my SACD player than I did for the player....but the player was used; picked up of Audiogon for a great price [​IMG]

13. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The whole idea behind the "10%" rule is to get people to spend way too much on cable. It doesn't matter whether your DVD player is $50 or $1000; spending more than ~$20-$30 on a component video cable set isn't going to show any shred of difference in a scientific blind test.

Cables are a simple, passive component, there is no magic signal processing going on in there. Don't spend money on boutique cable; spend it where it actually can make a difference, getting a better DVD player or HD-DVD when it comes.

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

interesting. so the calibrators gear listerally showed a brighter screen, etc?

15. John Garcia

John

So when are you doing the DBT? Video is much more likely to show the effects of a lousy cable than anything.

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

don't worry about me...i just like following john around. [​IMG] [​IMG]

it's also important to think about the weakest link theory. if you have a high-end dvd player and high-end tv, but then use crappy cables, you've just shot your investment out the water.

it's all about balancing your gear.

----

btw, my brother-in-law's brother just "auditioned" a pair of cables that cost (used) somewhere around 500 bucks. i dunno what brand ... but i'm just *dying* to listen to them, then swap it out with my cables. unfortunately, i don't want to insult the guy so i'm not going to ask. man, talk about a shot opportunity. [​IMG]

17. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

"Component Cables" only have to be compatible with the 1940's interlace video standard. (Max frequency of 4 Mhz).

And you used this cable to connect a progressive-scan DVD player to a 51 inch HDTV (Max frequency of 13 Mhz)?

Do you see the problem? I suspect you actually used a below-spec cable to start with. And the improvement came when you used cables designed for HD video frequencies.

Does this explain things?

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Especially when he throws around the $20-$30 figure after that.