What's new

I can't adjust front speakers with Sony receiver (1 Viewer)

TonyNoles

Grip
For the time being, I'm using a Sony AVD S50ES DVD/Receiver unit in my system. The speakers are Axiom's M22's, VP150, and QS4's. My sub is an SVS. I'm trying to calibrate my speakers using the Avia disk and RS spl meter. I can only do the adjustments using the pink noise in the receiver. It won't let me do the adjustments using the disk.

When I start the test on my receiver, it cycles around each speaker doing the test tones. Now when I highlight level to do the adjustments, it will only let me adjust the center speaker, rear speakers, and the sub. Should I be able to adjust the front speakers? When I do the pink noise test, the fronts sound a lot lower than the rest of the speakers. I have to be missing something here on this receiver. Surely there is a way to adjust the front speakers. Thanks for any help.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Your other speakers just need to be the same volume all around. since you cant adjust the fronts, adjust the others to match the fronts, and everything should be the same volume and correctly calibrated. You won't have calibrated to reference level, but that does not affect performance.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Does your receive have DD and/or DTS? This is usually a problem if your reciever is only Pro-Logic.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
There is probably a right/left balance adjustment. Use that to get the fronts equal to each other, then use the other trims to match to the fronts.

TonyNoles

Grip
My receiver will decode DD and DTS. It does have the balance control adjustment so I'll try that. Thanks for the help guys.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
you should not have to adjust the front L/R speakers. I would not use balance adjustment at all. Place your speakers properly in your room equidistant and symmetrically and you should not have to resort to balance adjustments which are not desirable in the least. My receiver has no individual adjustments for front L/R nor would I want such an adjustment. Match the center and each surround to this level and you're good to go.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
ChrisWiggles:

That's not really true. Many people don't have an ideally shaped room, and that can effect the balance of the levels between the two speakers.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Certainly it can, which is why proper placement is paramount. You would never do the same thing with a 2-channel system, nor should you with a theater system, imo.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Chris, what is right for you may not be right for others. I, personally, have to compensate a fair amount for a poorly shaped room. While I'd rather sit here and say "the room is perfectly set up for HT" it just isn't the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks