What's new

I built myself a Tiki Hut (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm just about finished. All that's left is a bit of staining, waterproofing and seeding between all the stones, and maybe a bit more decor.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Do you ever listen to Martin Denny or other exotica?

I've got a yard that is just plain grass. Those pictures give me some ideas about how I could spice things up.

I kind of liked that tiki idol by the palm tree. I guess you thought it was overkill with the one on the hut? I hope you at least left that partially submerged one where it was in the fifth photo?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Actually Greg, that Tiki by the plam broke when it was hit by a falling 2x4. So, it got moved, it's the partially submerged one now. Party City had the plastic mask of that for $5. I sprayed the inside with oil, filled it with mortar and made several concrete Tiki's. I then painted and clear coated them.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was just reading about your method in your old thread. I see you ended up finding other faces for variety. I saw some at Garden Ridge the other day (and thought of your project), but I don't remember if they were different from the ones you have.

I'm sad that your tiki broke. If I'm not mistaken, that was your firstborn that you showed from the pre-paint stage in the other thread. :frowning:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Hmmm...I don't see any diagonal bracing. Don't think that will pass earthquake codes in California these days.

When I was a child, I was inspired by Thor Heyerdahl to build a raft from scrap wood in my backyard. I called it the "Kon Leakey". :laugh:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Actually, a non-livable structure, free standing, does not need to meet any city codes.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Why do I feel like this is a game of "Find the Tiki?"

AH, there it is, but I can't find it in the 4th and 6th picture (from the top)..

Anybody else?

P.S. great job Ron... when's the party? :)

Jay

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Looks great! You are very creative.

One suggestion: you could put a thatched roof of palm fronds (real or artificial) over the courrogated metal roof. That might cool things off and quiet things down if it rains. If you do an internet search for "tiki thatch" you'll find some sites that sell the stuff.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Here's a few updated pics as of today, and yes, the lantern's light up. I have them wired via my Malibu low-voltage system.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls /forum/thread/285206/i-built-myself-a-tiki-hut#post_3602296
That is kind of the direction it's going, sort of. I'm taking idea's from the Indiana Jone Ride and The Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.

What I really want are some wood barrel's, no idea where I can find those though, at least inexpensively.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Original Tiki Room? The one with all the animatronic birds?

I'm going the other way for my backyard, and turning it into a vinyard. Looks like I'm in good shape for some prime cab grapes.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ron,
Too bad you cant find the "Barker Bird" from the Adventureland enterance from Disneyland. (May he Rest In Peace). HAHA!

Do you have the 50th Anniversary box set with all the audio, music ride-thrus through the years? Its on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks